#
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:15 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: 1979 TE51 stalls - intermittent
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:34 pm 

Location: Eloy, AZ in the winter / Moose Jaw, SK, Canada in the summer
I bought the car in this thread. http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2012/07 ... ort-coupe/

It is a fantastic little car, but it has a problem that eludes me. It runs very well, but it will stall but it doesn't stall all the time.

It has AC and the idle works properly with the AC (idle speeds up when the AC is on).

It is a 5 speed and it has this weird quirk that it stalls out when I am driving, but not all the time. I'd say it happens 2 times out of every 5 times I drive it, and generally, if it starts stalling one day, it will keep stalling for the rest of the day. Some days it does not stall at all, and there is no difference in the temperature or anything else. I live south of Phoenix (from October to April), where the temperature is very moderate.

I'll start out OK, but if it's in it's stalling mood, it will start to stall within a few miles, as soon as I push in the clutch pedal, or even if if I release the gas and move the shifter into neutral. If I turn the AC on, it will then bring up the idle so it keeps it running at about 2,000 RPM, but even though it is AZ, it is sometimes too cold to use AC! And I should not have to anyway.

Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone know what I should be checking to see what might be causing this intermittent problem?

Thank you

peg baldwin

Post subject: Re: 1979 TE51 stalls - intermittent
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:14 pm 

Had this exact problem with my 79 TE51 about 10 years ago and it took me forever to figure out!

I assume stock carb?

you got yourself a bad (or more appropriately intermittently bad) fuel cutoff solenoid (the one thing on the carb with wires running to it). It is supposed to prevent "dieseling" by cutting fuel to your idle jet when you turn off the engine, but is now randomly going out with the car still on. This is why it suddenly wont idle for sh*t uless you milk it enough to start pulling fuel from your main and secondary.

Instead of trying to find a replacement i just used it as an excuse to get a weber, though you may be able to find the solenoid off a junkyard car...

anywho I'm 95% positive this is your problem.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:32 am 

Rock auto has the part cheap. check plug and wires to solenoid for a slight short. Cutoff solenoid is on bottom left of carb if looking from front of car. Its a round thing with a wire sticking out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:21 am 

ROOSTERCOGBURN wrote:
Had this exact problem with my 79 TE51 about 10 years ago and it took me forever to figure out!

Rooster, thank you for the reply! I *knew* there would be someone out there who could help. I am so excited to try the fix. I am sorry for the delay.... I did not have "notify me... " checked.

Once I try the fix, I will let you know if it worked. I am much obliged for the tip!

peg :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:24 am 

Skellington wrote:
Rock auto has the part cheap. check plug and wires to solenoid for a slight short. Cutoff solenoid is on bottom left of carb if looking from front of car. Its a round thing with a wire sticking out of it.

OMG you people are SO helpful. I wish it was light out so I could try this RIGHT NOW! I knew there was a reason I was not sleeping! :) peg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:01 am 

Hope this solves your issue. I just wanted to add that I had a similar symptom once with a TE51 that had a weber 32/36 DGEV. The only difference was that sometimes it would not just intermittlently stall, but when it did it would not turn back on.

That turned out to be the choke butterflies. They would stick shut preventing no air, thus not allowing the car to start and also causing it to stall on occasion.

Just wanted to throw that out there for anyone else reading and if you are not using factory carb.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:35 pm 

Hello again gentlemen.

As you can tell, I have not had the problem for a while. My husband turned up the idle, and it seems to have helped for the past month or so because it did not stall in that time, but the idle is really high, so he turned it back down again, to about 850 and the stalling problem has returned.

There are two solenoids by the carb, the one on the left has two wires and appears to have a connection because it clicks when we turn the key on.

The other, on the right side of the carb, does not show any sign of life when we turn the key on. It has one wire. I don't know how to add photos to this thread, so I put two photos here http://pegspen.com/toyota.html .

I have also found what I believe to be the fuel cutoff solenoid at Rock auto here http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco ... ttype,6389 - does this look like what you are talking about?

Can anyone tell me if it is the solenoid on the left, or on the right of the carb (as we're looking at the engine from the front of the car) that needs to be replaced?

Thanks again

peg baldwin

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]