#
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:51 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Driving the Dream in New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:58 am 

I come from a land down under, the other one, not Australia. We have only 4 million people, and only one million of them live on our 'Big' island, the South Island, leaving more open roads to enjoy. I have been into Nostalgic Japanese since they were new Japanese. My Dad bought one of the first 230 260Cs in the country and it was a toss up between that and a Crown, with the Datsun arriving first so being the purchase. Back in those days because of the import laws you had to order a car and wait for it to arrive, often you could not buy a new car without overseas funds, meaning very few second-hand cars available either. It was about 1973 when we got that 260C (Cedric), and that choice steered me down a long love affair with Datsuns, which I guess could just as easily been with Toyotas.
I have owned probably 15 Datsuns if you count a couple of Nissans.
Currently we have a low owner low mileage 1974 B110 1200, which is my Daily, it is very original with Mags, and a worked front Dissy A12 engine running Twin Japanese SUs. In bright Orange it gets lots of attention.
My other regular drive is a '71 240Z, met Blue and after many hours is also very original, sitting on 260Z Alloys.
Another of the fleet I love to get out in but usually just sits in the shed is an S30 '74 260Z Classic racer, not very original, it rocks a worked L28 with Tripple 45s, full cage, race seats, harnesses and Brakes, heaps of fun and a great escape.
Another Datsun sits waiting for some attention, it is a very original 510, with only 90K on it. I have always respected these as one of the best cars of their time, this is the 3rd one I have owned and I look forward to getting it back on the road and taking the family out on cruises in it, my 15yr old complains in the back of the 1200 :)
My pride and Joy is a '72 240Z that I bought from it's first owner over 20 yrs ago, it is very tidy and waits patiently for me to straighten my priorities to get it registered and back on the road.
My Horizons have been stretched a little lately with the addition of a couple of Mazdas to the Fold, the first barely Rates a mention here as it will not be 25 till next year, but just let me say that it's responsive chassis, sweet 1600 engine and with it's roof down make it a very enjoyable ride. It was quickly followed by may first ever Rotary, a series one RX 7 Savana, in light Yellow. I have always liked theses cars, and while Yellow is not my Favourite colour, it suits this car and I think captures the Era very well.
Over the years I have Raced and Rallied Datsuns, it has been a love affair that has introduced me to many interesting people from all over and I hope this will continue to for many years to come.
I live in Christchurch on the Mainland of Aotearoa New Zealand, population about 400,000, this is the main city in the South Island and is currently recovering from a devastating Earth quake, 3 years ago. This means lots of road works and rough roads, something the 1200 handles well.
We have a strong Datsun community here with it not being uncommon to have 50+ cars show up to cruises. The old school scene is even stronger with cars from Japan, Europe, Australia and even the States being represented, when everyone gets together even the Cops show up :D
I am also involved in Motorsport locally, although not getting to compete as often as I would like, you can find me out at the track Audit checking the cars to enable others to have their fun.
Well that's about me, I look forward to reading through the posts and getting a feel for NJC in other parts of the world. Feel free to comment or PM, especially if you are planning on heading to this part of the world, the roads are fantastic and deserted, but don't tell anyone, that's how we like it.
Vaughan

Post subject: Re: Driving the Dream in New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:01 am 

Not sure how to add Photos, claim Board attachment limit has been reached,? any advise?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:57 am 
Administrator

best to use an image host. attachments are problematic here
btw i was going to delete your other profile as per your request but it was already gone

uncrowded roads?! we've heard tales about such things :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:23 pm 

Thanx for that.
I'll get my head around this posting thing and get some picks up, probably need to read rules and instructions before doing stuff, will make it easier, but not the Kiwi Male way.
Once I have posting sorted I will post some video of the past couple of weekends cruising, Blue Skies, windows down and No-one in the way :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:19 am 

best way to show pictures in threads is using the "[img]" tags.

i.e. [img] "insert photo URL here" [/ img]

(no spaces and using the URL from a Picture file on the interwebs.)

this will mirror the photo to the site and allow it to be visable.

WELCOME to JNC lol hope to see some of those pictures soon!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:56 pm 

Thanx, Now to work out how to host stuff, I will also have to work out how to compress my GoPro vids so I can get them up. There will be a vid explaining this on YouNuwb I bet :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:53 pm 

classicdat wrote:
Thanx, Now to work out how to host stuff, I will also have to work out how to compress my GoPro vids so I can get them up. There will be a vid explaining this on YouNuwb I bet :P

and thats the end of my computer knowledge...lol probably gonna need younewb lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:42 pm 

Welcome aboard. The cruise from Christchurch to Picton is awesome. Surf on one side, snowy mountains on the other!
I also like when you head inland towards to lakes/Mt Cook, it's not uncommon to park in the middle of the road to take pictures, as you can see that there are no other cars for miles and miles!

Oh, and my little red Mazda come from Christchurch. The good thing about the 'Mainland' is that you don't get the terrible rust demons (which is the death of most Japanese cars) that we get up here in Auckland.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]