#
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:57 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Cam's Mazda2 Build Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:48 am 
Mild Cam

(reposted from Mazdas247.com)

Now's as good a time as any to start a build thread for my beloved daily driver - a Spirited Green Metallic 2011 Mazda2 Touring. In September 2010, I had just gotten hired at a new job. I was watching TV, saw the commercial, saw that color, and I immediately drove to the dealership for a test drive. I fell in love and a week later, after my very first day at work (9/13/10), I stopped back in to order one. I still remember getting the phone call at the end of October stating I had a VIN number, meaning my car had been built. I ended up picking it up the week of my birthday in mid-December of that year. In the two and a half years since taking delivery I haven't had time to do much besides basic maintenance and a few bolt-ons. Earlier this year, a windstorm caused a tree branch to dent the a-pillar, and a visit to a local college resulted in a key mark on the tailgate. I decided to get it all repaired at once (along with a solitary door ding on the passenger side,) and when I got it back I decided it was due for an oil change.

Here she is in the garage, pulled up on ramps, ready for her oil change.

All her goodies laid out in preparation for a fun night of car therapy. Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic, a Napa Gold oil filter, K&N filter oil & cleaner, new windshield wipers, a new plate frame, and an AWR motor mount. Since no-one's stepped forward to do a how to for the install, I figured I might as well. I got the mount used with no instructions, but it was a pretty intuitive/straightforward install (at least for me).

First off, you're going to want to support the engine with a floor jack. I picked a particularly beefy-looking area on the trans, close to the mount itself, then pumped the jack until it made contact. I gave it one more pump for good measure.* There are two 14mm bolts holding the mount to the subframe and the trans. They're really easy to get to, and aside from being torqued pretty tight from the factory, they came off pretty easily.

*NEVER support a car with only a floor jack. I had the car up on ramps, but jack stands will work as well.

Here are the mounts side-by-side. Top: beefy, solid mount. Bottom: floppy, rubber mount. Yuck!

Before re-assembly I applied some threadlocker to the bolts. You don't need to go crazy with this stuff...just a dab at the end of each bolt will do. It'll work itself into all the threads as you tighten the bolts.

I found it easier to install the trans side of the mount first. Just tighten the bolt enough to get a few threads on it, then rotate the mount upwards to align the rear mount. It might be a tight fit, but a gentle strike of your palm will help to push the subframe side of the mount in place. Snug both bolts up before tightening either of the bolts completely.

The verdict? Besides being race-car loud at idle, there isn't really anything to complain about with the new mount. Shift feel is improved exponentially. If you do one modification to your Mazda2, make it this one.

Yeah, I'd say it was about time for new wiper blades. These were the original wipers, and two Ohio winters definitely took their toll on them.

Since I had the hood open to change the oil anyways, I opted to check all the fluids and detail the engine bay.

I bought this cool sticker in Hershey last month, and it's found a home on my fuse box cover.

So, this is kind of silly and kind of fun. Classic Mazda in Mentor took really good care of me when I bought this car, and has really been good to me since. However, my buddy just got hired in the service department, so I have to give him crap about it. How, you ask? Well, I decided to "modify" my license plate frame...

Masked off and ready for paint.

The only thing I will Plasti-Dip on any of my cars. Seriously, kiddies, cut that sh*t out. I know you want to "improve" the hand-me-down sedan your parents gave you for graduation, but it's the fastest way to turn an $8000 car into a $6000 car. I'm not talking about blacking out your emblems (which looks kinda cool on some cars), I'm talking about painting wheels, hoods, roofs, hell, entire cars with this crap. Gross.

The finished product. You can also see the JDM Demio badge I had the body shop install when they fixed the tailgate. Apparently, "de mio" is Spanish for "mine." My Mazda. Cute.

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

Post subject: Re: Cam's Mazda2 Build Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:06 pm 

I've actually been curious about the 2 myself, especially that color. how are you liking it? Also, is anyone going to give you crap for a vehicle this new?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:16 pm 
Mild Cam

opelboy76 wrote:
I've actually been curious about the 2 myself, especially that color. how are you liking it? Also, is anyone going to give you crap for a vehicle this new?

I figured posting it in off-topic would be a good way to test the waters. It's actually the least offensive non-JNC I own. :P

I love this car, it's so much fun and has exceeded all expectations. It's my second favorite car I've ever owned.

1988 Mazda RX-7

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:40 pm 
Mild Cam

Test fit my buddy's 15x8 +20 wheel on the rear yesterday. Waaaaaay too much poke. I guess 15x7 +35 it is! With all of my other projects, I'm not sure if I'll get to buy my rims & tires this year, but I do plan on installing the H&R springs and a skid plate when I do my next oil change.

1988 Mazda RX-7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:03 am 
Mild Cam

Yellow fog lights! I ordered some tint films from eBay, they look pretty good! I didn't remove the fogs to install them, so I'm going to order a new set; I might re-do them when I put my skid plate on. Those aren't scratches on my bumper, just a weird reflection.

1988 Mazda RX-7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:49 pm 
Mild Cam

So, I was looking seriously at some Rotas, until a fantastic opportunity presented itself. A friend of mine recently bought an Integra that came with 15x6 BBS RAs from a Volkswagen Jetta that she hated and wanted to get rid of! All she wanted in return was another set of wheels and tires. I told her to find some she liked on Craigslist, and I'd take care of the rest. She found a set of stock Integra sawblades that the seller wanted $200 and a set of steelies for. So I called up a friend, and a half hour later, I was traveling to his house to buy a semi-ratty set of steelies for $100.

So I drove to the city to swap wheels with this guy. He didn't even have his own jack, I had to use the one that came with my car! Unbelieveable. But we still managed to swap wheels pretty quickly and I was on my way to meet Angela to do the second banzai swap of the night in a Sheetz parking lot.

Angela was really happy with her sawblades. They look good on her car, and they'll look better when I get them powdercoated pink for her (also part of the deal).

So I drove home exhausted and tired, but I still smiled every time I saw their reflection in my rearview mirror.

I was so excited, in fact, that I couldn't sleep, so I took the opportunity to clean up my new BBSs. I'm kind of a huge BBS nerd, if you couldn't tell already.

The next morning before work, I decided to test-fit them on the car. I think they look pretty good!

Plans are to send the wheels to a shop in Maryland once I get a little more money to have them straightened and refinished...I'm thinking gold centers with a polished lip. We'll see how I do selling stuff at the swap meet this weekend and hopefully I'll be able to send them out soon!

1988 Mazda RX-7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:22 am 

Love the Lil 2's Lookin good on those LS wheels!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:21 pm 

Wow Cam, this cars pretty neat.
That color is awesome :tu:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:29 am 

Wheels look great Cam, but needs moar low!

2 x N360 restoration projects

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]