#
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:53 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Rx2 Sedan Update and Refresh (89Rotary Build Thread)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:10 am 

Hey guys, finally took delivery of my Rx2. so excited to finally start diggin into her and getting her ready to see the Roads again. i'm very excited to own my first classic car, and i hope i can make you guys proud!

so heres my First Pictures of the car. she was hit in the rear. so that will be the first area of focus. thanks to Derek we found the Motor still runs, and actually runs great! but when the time comes i do have a 13b 4 port. i'll be tossing in some S5 N/A rotors and keeping her Carb'd and N/A just with the Modern touch ^_^

Enjoy!!

Thanks again to Derek, i cannot express enough the Thanks i have for letting me buy this car. so once again THANK YOU!! :tu: :tu:

Edit: DOrky Lil After Photo... My Mazda Family. 1989 Mazda Rx7 GTUs, 1974 Mazda Rx2 Sedan, 2006 MazdaSpeed 6, 1995 Mazda Miata

Post subject: Re: Rx2 Sedan Update and Refresh (89Rotary Build Thread)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:26 pm 

Can't wait to see your progress! BTW, I used to own 2 1997 Miatas and a 2007 Mazdaspeed6. Unfortunately, they're all gone :td:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:52 pm 

so heres the beginning to my questions. Why does my car have a little tiny exhaust pipe next to the massive muffler???

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:02 pm 

Your peashooter exhaust is part of the REAPS exhaust system, created by Mazda, to keep
the US bureaucrats happy about clean exhaust emissions back in the day! :(
The upside is, we ended up with single dissy 12A and 13B engines. :D

The same as the US spec cars have the UGLIEST bumper bars ever designed by human beings.
Again, just to keep US bureaucrats happy about injuries caused by nudging pedestrians.
The solution - let's put energy absorbing bumpers on cars.
Nowhere else in the world got these bumpers, THANK GOD!!!!!

US spec:

Jap Spec:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:17 pm 

lol Strangly enough, i'm kinda diggin the US Spec Bumpers. they ARE MASSIVE lol but my kids can sit on them. i might as well just put the seat belts on them! lol :lol: :lol:

ah i have heard about the REAPS. guess i'll do some more reading! lol

Updates on the car, i just oredered a replacement Fuel Pump. should have it by the 5th. hope to have this car running strong before my birthday. well.... that means BOTH my Rotary ENgines need to be running strong by my birthday :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:52 am 

Nice pickup, love the series 3 rx2's.

For the love of christ burn those bumpers, burn them with fire! and lots of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:19 am 

rx7_ben wrote:
Nice pickup, love the series 3 rx2's.

For the love of christ burn those bumpers, burn them with fire! and lots of it.

Thank you I'm excited to start driving this one!! so nice to hear a strong Rotary Purrr

but but but i like the bumpers :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:30 am 

Big Bumpers are Badass! The only RX2s with this type of bumper in the entire world….. Enough reason to keep um.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:03 pm 

Those bumpers are the difference between being able to reverse park and fit your RX2 into a normal "compact" parking space
versus choosing a parking space that will fit a long wheel base Chevy Silverado! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:15 pm 

philip wrote:
Those bumpers are the difference between being able to reverse park and fit your RX2 into a normal "compact" parking space
versus choosing a parking space that will fit a long wheel base Chevy Silverado! :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: hahhahaa aahaa thats funy :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:44 am 

Updates: Snow has slowed real progress to s stand still. working on getting a Car port so i can keep working throughout the winter.

fuel pump came in last night, wanna get that installed ASAP

ordered my replacement slave cylinder and Headlamps that are missing. can't wait to start driving this beauty!! need to find a way to pull that trunk out so i can latch it down. but things are rolling along

still trying to find a rear window though.... hard to find those! lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:42 am 

Here's a 4 door rear windshield on ebay item number is 350364589410. That took a decent hit in the rear there. What are the plans for straightening? I love john aka R100guy buts he's way off on the 74 bumpers, you need to run far far away from those monstrosities! 74 spec rx-2s are really cool IMO and I can't wait to see here straight with small bumpers and cruising.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:53 am 

ozzyincali wrote:
Here's a 4 door rear windshield on ebay item number is 350364589410. That took a decent hit in the rear there. What are the plans for straightening? I love john aka R100guy buts he's way off on the 74 bumpers, you need to run far far away from those monstrosities! 74 spec rx-2s are really cool IMO and I can't wait to see here straight with small bumpers and cruising.

to be honest, i'm got no clue where to go with straightening. i've been contemplating just taking it to a body shop and letting them do it. or try the "stump n bump" method lol..... but not too sure. definatly taking my time and thinking it through though.

i'm probably gonna keep the USDM Bumpers. they are funny and kinda nice.

yeah, i need to get a rear window... my window is duct tape right now because of the damn snow here in utah...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:13 am 

well, my goal of having her running by my birthday didn't work out. lol damn snow storm and very cold weather kept me from installing my fuel pump...

BUT i've got new fuel lines since mine are so brittle, and i'll be running duel filters (one at the pump and one at the carb) headlights should be arriving today, and my clutch slave came in saturday. starting to get this beauty moving under her own power quick! now just gotta install that driveline too...... oh well ^_^ super happy things are moving along, yet mad damn snow won't let me work... maybe i gotta find a storage unit during the winter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:19 am 

Everyones updates are sooo much cooler than mine... i need a garage. lol

so my headlights arrived. they are conversion lenses. they are glass housings, but convert to run a 9003 bulb. this allows a much brighter light to be emitted, since they are higher wattage bulbs. ^_^ and since they use the same plug as the factory bulbs, everything plugs right in making things super super simple.

heres a teaser picture of how they look compared to stocks (housings them selves not light. my car was missing the factory low beam lenses upon purchase lol)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:10 pm 

Be REAL careful pulling more current on your headlights. The Combination switch is fragile concerning current draw. Research on activating your lights via a relay, or install ISIS!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:53 pm 

banzaitoyota wrote:
Be REAL careful pulling more current on your headlights. The Combination switch is fragile concerning current draw. Research on activating your lights via a relay, or install ISIS!!!!

Wow, thats good to know! i'll definatly rewire to a Relay set-up. that'll be the easiest way! lol

did a touch of work today in between a couple things, finally got the rear clear enough to put a jack under it. and found my fuel pump fuel line. installed and new lines and installed the engine mounted fuel filter.

Hope tonight i can quickly install the fuel pump and test start under her own power! next gotta install the driveline again and

Then i can start looking at pulling the rear out so i can close the trunk. after thats done, i can get the glass replaced lol. fun fun fun fun fun times comming!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:30 am 

Not a Picture update, but making progress. got the car up on jackstands (after a scary incident of it falling off my jack and pinning me to the pavement lol no injuries) but, put the driveline i had in. and it was too long... started looking around and no one had one (locally) and my dad mentkioned a company called GRS Drivelines here in SLC Utah. said they took care of him when he needed drivelines balanced, lengthened for his blazer. so i called them up, 95$ to shorten and balance. woot! got that done.... and got sick, so i have no idea if it fits now... lol

got both sets of headlights though, gonna be working on a relay setup to make sure i'm not burning any switches up. still need to replaced the clutch slave. but things are comming together! soon as this is all done i can finally start work on the body! try and figure out how to fix that rear end... lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:29 pm 

Love to see another Sedan being brought back to life. Get yourself some metal ramps so you can safely and confidently work on your babies.
Keep the bumpers.

IN YOUR SHED :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:10 am 

graveltrapp wrote:
Love to see another Sedan being brought back to life. Get yourself some metal ramps so you can safely and confidently work on your babies.
Keep the bumpers.

IN YOUR SHED :D

lol Thanks, i love working on this car. really makes me appreciate simple wiring, and design lol

LONG time since i've logged onto here. but, been slowly making progress. racing seasons starting up so i've been shifted focus over onto the race car. been trying to get that behemoth wired up and running the bridgeport 6port so i can start running again.

the RX2 has the Driveline mounted up, ordering wheel adaptors so i can mount 15x7 TSW wheels on. I Keep starting her up least once per week while shes floating on the jackstands. can't wait to drive her. gotta get a new clutch slave, the one i ordered didn't fit..... grrrrrr lol oh well.

Anyone know what kind of Clutch Slaves can be used incase i can't find a 74 Rx2 Slave?

also still in the market for a Rear Window if anyone has any leads it would be much appreciated.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next