Should've kept this more up to date... but here's what I've been doing on it.
The first thing I did was order a pair of brand new door seals, off of eBay, from Thailand. I installed them right after opening the box - removing the old seals was a chore as they had adhered to the pinch weld and were petrified, so it made a huge mess and I had to scrape bits off. The new seals are so robust that it created another problem - the doors take a huge amount of force to fully latch, and the driver's door will no longer open with the outside button - instead I have to push the outside button then pull the interior handle. Quirky, but I can deal with it til I take the door panel off and see what's going on with the latch.
Next, I put the truck on jack stands and removed the wheels then the brake drums. No issues aside from the rear drums, 1 screw was previously rounded out but didn't take much effort with a GrabIt bit I got from work... then I had to hammer the wheel studs straight since they were pushed outward by a previous owner to fit the wrong lug pattern wheels on. :/
Then came a bit of a debate... since finding 5X110 wheels to fit this thing is nearly impossible without going custom aftermarket, I wanted to change it to 5X114.3. Re-drill the drums and axles? Re-drill a set of wheels? Then the easiest and least expensive way hit me - wheel adapters. Yeah, not a fan of spacers, but it just works the best in this situation, and is one thing out of the way of getting this truck back on the road. So first I positioned those Toyota 14" wheels that came with the truck at the end of the wheel studs, an inch, to simulate the spacers, to see if it would cause any obvious problems. If anything, it looks better. lol
Ordered them, came in a few days later.
Decided to throw one on and test-fit one of my spare '03 Protege5 polished wheels, for a laugh. Most likely won't be using them ever on the truck.
I then put brake fluid in it and pumped the brakes to see if/where it was leaking from. Right rear wheel cylinder, left cup popped out. Seal is destroyed. Also noticed that the driver's front, one cylinder wasn't working. Came to my senses and have decided to rebuild or replace ALL 6 wheel cylinders, just to take any potential issue away. I soaked all of the brake line fittings and mounting nuts with PB Blaster over the next week, and started removing them tonight. Rears are off, fronts aren't - I neglected to soak the adjuster stud nuts and couldn't get the one I tried to remove, to break free. Instead of potentially rounding the nuts or breaking the studs, I'll let them sit.
So that's where I am on it. On the 'to do' list:
1. Wheel cylinders - rebuild or replace
2. Front wheel bearings
3. Clutch master cylinder - leak from rod to pedal
4. Fuel pump - bypass with electric pump
5. Drain old gas from tank
6. Wheels and tires - obtain tires for the 14" Toyota steelies or install my set of RX-7 Convertible BBS 15"s/tires, if they fit okay.
Stay tuned for more!
1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD
Almost on the road: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap, 2004 RX-8 GT
Far from the road: 1971 Mazda 1200 Truck