#
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:45 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
 Post subject: Rusty Chick -75 Celica
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:56 am 

Hi guys and girls?!

I want to share you the on going story of my project ta22 Celica which I like to call as a Rusty Chick.
There she is on the day I bought her. And a happy owner. This was on eastern 2011.

When I bought it I didn't really realize the amount of work I had ahead me. I thought really did buy a piece of shit, to be honest. :D And even paid too much for it.. :oops:

Well, I started my project by stripping up her and then hundreads of hours of rust prepair. I mean honestly, I spent months doing it. It was like that only place I didn't have rust on was hood, because it's made of fiberglass.

View in the trunk was horrible.

Doing that area of the car took ages but I finally got it done. After that I went in for the engine bay area. And more rust...

Both sides had the same amount of rust and I did that on both sides. Drivers side front fender was also in horrible condition. Here you can see some pics of the amount of bondo it had on it hiding a huge hole and dent.

At some point of all that rust repair I got tired of taking photos of everything but all those spots I showed you and, rocker panels, inner fenders, 40% of the floor, 40% of the frame and many spots on the body needed to be replaced. Here is an little artistic photo of me doing the rocker panels.
At this point I had put the body to self made rotisserie to ease things up.

Post subject: Re: Rusty Chick -75 Celica
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:43 am 

The car spent about half a year in rotisseria until last summer I got her back on it's wheels. Meanwhile I had prepared all other parts ready for installation. They were all really badly rusted so I sandblasted them all, primered them with zinc paint and then painted black with Hammerite.

I also wanted to replace the old engine (3T) with something little more modern and lighter. I already had t-50 gearbox so this was quite natural decision:

Once again, it wasn't in the condition I expected it to be... :evil: I took it a part and bought new everything. I blasted the block with sand and painted it black. I also had to buy one conrod+piston set as one of the sets had seized up.

After all it turned out to be a nice engine and I even got it running!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:49 pm 

At this moment the car is in condition where I finally have running engine and working driveline.

The body had like 5 surface coats of paint + all the layers of primers. It was like 3mm of paint in total and removing all that was a real pain in the ass. Under all that paint there was a lot of small dents that took me a lot time to fix But now all the body work is also done and the body has been primered. The recent thing I did was custom exhaust manifold.

I also bought set of fender flares and there fore I had to cut rear wheel arches of. Here I have some pics of that project. Now it's already done but unfortunately I don't have pictures of that.

And here is also short vid of my 4age running after rebuild 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:47 pm 

Nice work. That engine sounds really good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:54 am 

Amazing amount of work! I had a 20v in mine for a while. How did you mount yours? Did you convert to steering rack?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:14 am 

Ryojikaji, I just moved the stock mounts in subframe little bit further back. Made custom engine mounts to the engine and used 3T engine mount rubbers. The engine aligned nicely and I could use the stock drive saft and engine gearbox mount. I also use stock steering rack, check the photos :) In the photo engine is leaning a bit to left but that's because I just had dropped it in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:55 pm 

Those engines always sit slightly crooked.
It is normal - if you put it "straight" the gearshift would be on the wrong angle.

Are you going to put bolts at the top where the brackets would bolt to the block?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:38 pm 

You have quite a project there haha :tu: :tu: Good job with the welding.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:09 pm 

vix_641, you, sir, are a god :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:03 pm 

It has been a while with no update as I don't live in the same city with my Toy but I had loong christmas holiday and made some progress!

Firstly, ToyGuy thanks for the piece of information! I also have already 'fixed' that engine mounting bracket. At the moment when I did those I just ranout of thick steel.

I spent almost entire holiday with the electronics. Previous owners had made them quite a mess during these years but now it's all good. I'm trying to make the engine bay as clean as possible so I moved the headlight wiring to go inside the beam that goes under the front fender. To get it there I had to make a very special tool to make nice round hole. Then I wrapped the loom in to vulcanizing tape to make it waterproof and job well done! I thought that I had stripped all the unneseccary wires of but obviously I hadn't. But after all it turned to be quite okey.

After I had pulled the wires to front I made relay controls for the headlights as the old light switches don't really like these new halogen lamps. I used in total three relays and used the original R/Y and R/G wires to feed +12V to headlights. All the lights are grounded to front of the car.

When I bought the car the heater didn't work and it's wiring was a mess. I had to spend quite a while solving this thing out because the wiring diagram isn't too clear with this as the colours didn't mach and it said that LR LW LY and LB would go straight to the blower motor as actually these wires go to the resistor and just only LR and LW go to the motor.. :roll: I also got all the meters working, I still only need to check the calibration of the engine temp meter. I also cleaned my dashboard and polished all the meters, gotta say I love the cone shape lenses of tacho and speedo!

I had previously moved the battery to trunk and also installed the fuel pump under the tank where the spare tyre used to be. The relay that controls fuel pump I installed as close to the battery and pump to minimize voltage loss. I also got throttle pedal installed.

Some time ago I found on internet some MINT steelies that I fell in love to immediately. Here are some pics of them, hope you like them too!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 pm 

AHHHH! everyone has these cool OEM SR5 steelies. I really want a set so I can widen them. They will look sweet on the ol girl.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:14 pm 

What a lot off work :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:05 pm 

Wow I am astonished at everything you can do!

Nice work salvaging and resurrecting that old car.

Can't wait to see more progress

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:08 am 

You were not kidding when you said Rusty Chick. Hats off for the patience of working through the rust (no pun intended). :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:02 pm 

Mahtavaa työtä, taas yksi vanha toyo pelastettu paalista :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:37 am 

Thanks for all these kind words Fellas!

To be honest, I wouldn't have bought this lady if I knew at that point how much work there was going be. Now the worst parts luckily are behind, but there is still plenty of work to do.

Unfortunately the progress at winter time is quite slow as I'm studying in Uni and the car is living in other city, 400km away from here. But there will be some new stuff coming soon, I hope!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:48 am 

Very impressed with your dedication and skill on bringing this car back to life. Most owners would have called it dead! Im glad she gets to live again and bring joy to you after all the work you put in. looking forward to seeing more updates.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:56 pm 

Here againnn. Had a little one week holiday so it was time to work on this little chick again. Didn't really do anything major, only some small stuff but still something I had to do before she is ready to rolll.

Back on christmass holiday I ordered from DX some LED bulbs to replace the original ones in dash.
Also someone had previously cut the dashboard to fit modern 1DIN radio on it :cry: . At the same time the original radio had been thrown away.
That is probably something that has been done for most of these cars.
Some time ago I found nice 'nipple radio' that I decided to use in Celica. I'm planning to modernize the radio, but more on that later.
Here are some pics.

So I wanted to fit that retro radio on the dash so I decided to fix it.
Found some plastic case that seemed to be made of similar plastic as the dash so I used it to get pieces for my fix. I also replaced all the bulbs with LED ones and here is the result.

I think that it turned out to be OK, compared to what it was before.
It actually looks better live than in pics.

I also started to make exhaust system and adjutable panhard but they aren't ready yet so you won't get the pictures yet.

I did some big renovation to my garage 3 years ago and ever since I've been planning to install some workspace lights.
This week I finally got that done, took me maybe an hour.. Maybe could have done that earlier :D

Stay tuned!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]