#
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:31 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Southern California early Z tuning shops
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:29 pm 

I was hoping i could get some leads on any tuning shops around Los Angeles county who specialize early Z model tuning or in carb tuning/mikuni 44phh. I've come across an issue with the car as the L28 will not idle without the choke. I've cleaned all the jets and checked the fuel pressure. THe only suspect is dirty fuel as the car had been sitting for over a year. I did add new fuel, fuel additive/cleaner and octane boost as the car came from Tokyo running on that good octane lol.
I've check the plugs on the car and their all pretty black and one was a little wet.
Not sure what to do at this point so any info would help
thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: Southern California early Z tuning shops
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:33 pm 

you mean to tell me that no one knows any tuning shops in Southern California?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:58 pm 

Aeropooch wrote:
I was hoping i could get some leads on any tuning shops around Los Angeles county who specialize early Z model tuning or in carb tuning/mikuni 44phh. I've come across an issue with the car as the L28 will not idle without the choke. I've cleaned all the jets and checked the fuel pressure. THe only suspect is dirty fuel as the car had been sitting for over a year. I did add new fuel, fuel additive/cleaner and octane boost as the car came from Tokyo running on that good octane lol.
I've check the plugs on the car and their all pretty black and one was a little wet.
Not sure what to do at this point so any info would help
thanks guys!

Yeah as far as I know, I don't think there's any monopoly or THE place to go for carb tuning, specialty dyno shops are the best bet, but of course they all claim as experts to throw a sales pitch. Some only work on Webers due to the more universal jets vs. Mikunis etc...

I've been tuning mine for a while now (by feel and also renting dyno times), it was really easy on the stock cam where the Mikuni application chart settings were basically bolt-on plug n play. I just installed a bigger cam and barely got done tuning that (required lot more ignition & cam advance in my case.)

If the idle does stabilize with the choke as you say, then you're just needing to richen up the mixture at idle, also the plugs could be fouled because you've been using the choke (which would rich the mixture) to maintain idle.

What pilot jet size are you running? Motor specs? (2.8L? block/head/cam specs?) Ideally you want the idle jet screws to be out ~1.5 turn, and then fine tune the idle by using a sync meter and the mechanical screw attached to the throttle bodies. The Mikuni FSM actually has specific idle tuning steps, where you would adjust each idle screws for maximum idle speed, and then lower the rpm by adjusting the mechanical screws.

The pilots jets are only one (major) part of the equation, I would also check the ignition timing since that'll have a big influence as well. Feel free to PM me if you need more help, I'm not an expert by any means but have been tinkering with mine enough to get decent results, I also have a crap load of Mikuni jets if you ever need to rejet yours, so you don't have to buy 10+ sets doing trial and error like I did lol..

Btw at JCCS I noticed that you were the only other person rocking the same flared trumpets as my L28 Z. :D Congrats again on the win. Pic below of my 44's courtesy of Import Tuner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:58 pm 

Have you tried Pierre Z in Gardena?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:08 am 

Why not go visit a fellow skyline owner?
i'm thinking of OSR Paul in Victorville for example and his dyno shop....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:38 am 

retard your timing and go see Paul....

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]