#
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:42 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: '88 Accord 2.0l 12v (a20a2)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:35 am 

So, after my first restoration project went totally wrong (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16447), I decided to save more money and next summer go to Germany or France to try find and buy my dream car with good body condition ( I thought about 3gen Prelude). But quite unexpectedly in in Internet I found '88 Accord. It looked good, tech inspection for almost 2 years. So I decided to go to see how it looks in real.
My view took maybe 5 min and we with seller went to my friend's service. There was said that technical side is quite good and, what is most important, body is in good condition. So I bought this car.
First photo (with phone) when we came back from registration to my work:
Than I bought R15 wheels:
(other - it's my buddy's Accord 1,8l vtec)
Engine looks like new (and runs like new), when I bought, dashboard was showing only 137,748 km (and I believe that it's true):
Then bought Pioneer for better sound:
And few more photos:
My plans for future: I won't drive this car in winter (will keep it in garage) and in spring will repair rear arcs, maybe re tint windows, repair steering column and electric antenna.

'87 Audi 80 1.8l 8V - sold
'88 Accord 2.0l 12V - in use

Post subject: Re: '88 Accord 2.0l 12v (a20a2)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:42 pm 

Glad to see you got a car you like that wasn't rusted out. I read your last build and it was saddening. I may start up a build thread for an accord similar to yours! I am curious to see where you go with your build. What are your plans?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:10 pm 
Administrator

yeah good buy!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:47 am 

Garant wrote:
yeah good buy!

Thank you.

Skellington wrote:
Glad to see you got a car you like that wasn't rusted out. I read your last build and it was saddening. I may start up a build thread for an accord similar to yours! I am curious to see where you go with your build. What are your plans?

As I said, I will try save this car from Lithuanian winter. I think I start works in early spring. I want to fix some body rusts and few not very professionally fixed places. Then repair rear windows, because previous owner, when tinted windows, had broke them and I can't open or close now. Repair steering column. That works, that I have to do.
And now what maybe I will do: maybe retint windows with better material and more professionally. And I have mind, which do give me peace - I think a bit to lower springs for a better view. Because car stands quite high now. And for the end - install amplifier and subwoofer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:40 pm 

any progress on this car?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:58 pm 

Man, that engine bay is clean !

I personally love the accord aerodecks from this era !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:34 am 

So it took a lot time from my last post or even I visit this site.
Short story about what happened in that time.
So I still have this Accord, but he made enough headache for me. In one Sunday evening (2012.10.14),
when I was returning from sea, engine stopped work. It looked like fuel has end. But I knew, that fuel still have to be. It took about 10 min to start engine (there was few lurch going to sea, but engine doesn't stop). Next day I went to car service and left. First we thought, that problem was with distributor or ignition wires. So were changed distributor top end, wires and spark plugs. But car died after 5-7 km, driving up to hill.
Because I'm not very good at car repairing and have known in different car-services, I let them repair him. There started my Accord's epic journey through services.
First service: car was there around 5 month. Changed: fuel pump in tank (twice), repaired generator, got new battery. Accord don't want to work.
Second service (official Honda service in my town): changed all fuel filters. Accord don't want to work.
Third service: repaired dashboard and said, that engine too old and probably he will always work with "problems".
Tired of all this bulls**t, decided start repairing by my self. First I start search problem, why my engine always works cold (when I get car in summer, engine was always very hard reaching working temperature, but still reached). So I find out, that engine doesn't have thermostat. Bought new and put in and problem with temperature was solved.
View in the beginning of summer:
But other problems didn't disappear. I don't remember how and why, but I get idea to clean fuel tank.
Fourth service (most friendly): we took tank and it was full of some sh*t. And then we find out, that near fuel filler cap is big hole and everything from my tire goes straight to tank. It took only 8-9 month to find problem. After that tank was cleared, putted custom made part (don't know how it calls in English) from fuel filler cap to tank (it cost about 28$ and was made by plumbers, because original part from Honda costed about 284$), changed all fuel filters and get back on the way.
After that I three times cleaned carburetor, because it was full of dirt too. In the end off July clutch was changed.
The finish of this epic journey I keep September 28, when, after 11 and half month of all repairing, problems, anger and disappointment, I went to 11th Honda Club birthday meet. That day early in the morning I left my home with fear, that we won't make ~700 km trip, but in the evening I was happiest man in the planet, because my Accord made everything perfect.
Few photos from Club birthday:
Now Accord stands in garage and waits next spring. He still has some problems with engine electrical installation, but I hope we will solve them till spring. Then I planning repair body and repaint, maybe put Weber carbs. And I want to get new rims. Now Accord with stock R13. This summer was idea to buy R17, but now I plan to buy something else. These white R15 now is on my little Snowflake:
Image ,
sorry - she still not "nostalgic".

Quote:
Man, that engine bay is clean !

I personally love the accord aerodecks from this era !

Yes, I like them too. One was in that birthday (I think owner won't mind if I show his amazing car):

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:23 am 

Hello again.
All this time from last post I spent fixing engine electric system. Had changed: igniter unit, ignition coil, ignition wires, spark plugs. It took so long, because some parts are quite rare in my country.
Now he's running quite good, still have to fix some bugs.
Just few new pics of engine:
and interior:
Installed voltmeter (not Honda equipment :oops: , it made for russian tractor or truck)
Sorry for dust

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:55 am 

So two weeks ago Accord passed tech inspection (MOT test). Few days ago I bought oem R14 rims. He looks quite cute with small R14 165/65 tires on :)
Photos from local Civic mm:
And my Accord with younger relatives:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]