#
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 52 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: My 1974 929 - New to the garage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:20 am 

Since the forum crash a few weeks ago, I have noticed that my thread has vanished....so here is a new one.....I have included updates thus far as well.

Prior to the departure of my coupe, I started looking around at what I would replace it with if I decided to sell. After a bit of research I had my heart set on an FD RX7....after looking at a few examples and a couple of test drives I was set to sell my coupe and buy an FD......or so I thought.....

My coupe went up for sale and subsequently sold very quickly......and I had my eye on a very tidy Montego blue FD that was a local car......and then this came up for grabs.....

So here it is...my 1974 Mazda 929!

A quick rundown of the car as purchased:

’74 929 flat front sedan rebuilt to RX4 spec
Fresh 13B Extend port – RX4 housings, 12A irons – all new parts and seals used in rebuild
48IDA Weber and K&N filter – Facet lift pump, surge tank, Carter main pump, 3/8 fuel lines
Thick wall full twin system, 2 resonators, exhaust merges over diff into rotaflow muffler
Custom alloy radiator and oil cooler (seriously HUGE) 16 inch thermo fan and braided lines
Rebuilt RX7 5 speed, heavy duty clutch, reconditioned tailshaft, rebuilt diff
Resprayed in a slightly different tint of factory Mazda blue, new glass, rubbers and clips
Original interior with new carpet and seat belts, RX4 Dash cluster
Overall very happy with my new toy!! The car is a credit to it’s previous owner.

But as with all my projects it quickly developed a “To do” list!
So far I have made a few changes to the car, mostly around detail.
First up was a major detail clean – inside, outside, underneath and places never seen!!
The interior was first as the white vinyl was quite grubby. Meguiars leather and vinyl cleaner (an entire bottle!!) followed by 2 liberal treatments of Meguiars leather treatment had it looking like new again. The dash and everything else also copped a good clean. I have also fitted my MOMO Sistema steering wheel, a new yellow and black gear knob and some autometer gauges to keep an eye on things. All door trims were removed and the doors treated with fish oil. To complete the Grandpa look I have decked out the back seat with a tartan rug which belonged to my recently deceased Grandfather.

The exterior copped a thorough clean with most bits like tail lights, grille etc all removed for a detail clean. After that it got a few paint chip touch ups, all stainless and chrome polished, paint polished followed by 2 coats of wax. Some new badges were fitted at reassembly time including the RE12 badges as well as a set of RX4 badges for the rear quarters. I also rubbed back and resprayed the pillar between the windows on the back doors in charcoal grey as well as the rear quarter vents. Whilst they were apart, I removed the remnants of old resin in the vent badges as well as the resin in the grille badge and rotor shaped boot lock cover. These all then got new resin put in and put back on the car. Having never done this before, I am quite happy with the result!

The engine bay has had a fair bit of wiring removed and the remainder tidied up for a neater appearance. I also rewired the coils. Some new blue leads and separators, radiator cap, oil filler cap, dissy cap, rotor button and a few other bits have also been done. Future plans include a complete rewire of the engine bay, hiding as much as possible. I also gave the oil cooler a coat or two of satin black as I didn’t like how obvious it was from the front.

A bit of surface rust was found in the spare tyre well, so it was rubbed back, treated, primed and resprayed. The car still has an original 175SR13 whitewall spare tyre, mint boot mat and jack installed. The rear quarters were fish oiled.

New tyres have been fitted as the old ones were showing signs of cracking on the sidewalls...Fitted a set of Kumhos, as I have never had a bad set of these.....unfortunately a few minutes after picking the car up I was overtaken by one of my hubcaps.....which rolled into the intersection and got run over!! Luckily I found a MINT pair on ebay and replaced the missing one...also have a spare now. I also got new whitewalls done as it didn’t look quite right without them.

There is a stack more, but I won’t bore you with every minor detail. I will let the pics do the talking..

Last edited by jdmrx2 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My 1974 929 - New to the garage
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:52 am 

Good to see your topic again ;) Your 929 looks awesome. You don't have the pictures in a bigger size? These look like thumbnails

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:22 am 

Thanks! The forum spat out my normal 800x600 pics and said I needed to go smaller....I will try the next size up. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:13 am 

Sick! :tu:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:42 am 

Benn Car looks good mate. Your list was large but looks like you got through it and and made this car your own

when it come time to do your engine bay rewire let me know. i will do you a copy of the wiring diagrams i have and give you some pointer of what can be removed (which is quite a few wires) should tidy the bay up nicely

i really should chuck up a thread of my car on here

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:05 am 

Thanks Matt. Yeah I wanted to make some changes to make it more my own. Still a bit to go....

Will definately hit you up when it comes time to do the bay. Will weld up a few unused holes an respray it at the same time. Also want to paint the engine the same blue as it is different at the minute.

Also have a small rust bubble on the rear quarter that I want to get done after Christmas.

Really enjoying the car, it has done plenty of Kms without issue so far! Looking forward to the birthday cruise :D

You should throw a thread up on your car...from the early days to now...you sure have done some work over the years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:06 am 

Nice

Which is better to drive? 7 or 4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:35 am 

Ontrack wrote:
Nice

Which is better to drive? 7 or 4

Depends on what I'm doing / where I am going....the 7 is much easier to drive as it's totally stock mechanically...goes around corners better, stops better but is pretty cramped.....at 6 foot 3 there is not much head room. Pretty relaxed car to drive fast and great fun on windy roads in the hills...only drawback is lack of outright grunt. The 7 is a lot more stealth. Not many people look at it....which is good

The 4 is harder to drive with the weber, but goes a shit load harder! It loves lighting the tyres up. It's a great cruiser, with plenty of room in it. I can chuck the wife and both kids in this one and go anywhere. Not great in corners and it attracts too much attention wherever it goes.

To be honest I think if I put the RX4's engine and weber in the RX7, I would probably have the ideal car....then I could put a Bridgeport in the 4!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:12 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

you know... Some Cheviot Raiders in gold would look perfect with the blue! :mrgreen:

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:30 am 

ewokracing wrote:
you know... Some Cheviot Raiders in gold would look perfect with the blue! :mrgreen:

Not knowing what they looked like, I googled them....spot on, they would look awesome!!

I have been contemplating some gold 15 inch superlites / rota rb's...

There as a set of superlites here in sa for sale a while back....was going to get them for the RX7 and changed my mind as I like the stock ness about the 7....wish I had bought them now!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:06 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=236160 !

I do special price for you my friend at the ewokracing house of rugs, er I mean wheels.

I also have some Sampson Engineering wheels that I need to take photos of and put up for sale. Cheaper than buying more hubcaps!

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:11 am 

Haha...I like that....ewokracing house of rugs.

Will definitely think about it....

Small update....I have been looking up ADRs....mine is a 74 so is pre ADR 27a so pollution control is very light. From what I understand the breather should still recirculate back into the intake, usually via a PCV valve. As mine has a Weber, the manifold is split in two so this makes it harder as the PCV would only be venting back into one chamber.

The car was previously venting to atmosphere via a hose exiting on top of the gearbox.
To get around all this I have installed a modified catch can. I started with an off the shelf autotecnica one that I bought from work. I then bought a 1/8 npt blank off plug and a 1/8 npt right angle barb. I used these to plug off the top hole that would normally have the fitting for the external level indicator and the right angle for a drain back of any oil. I have them plumbed the breather on the oil filler neck into one of the top fittings on the can, and plumbed the right angle drain back into the centre plate. The other fitting on the top of the catch can has been plumbed into the base of the K&N filter via another 1/8 npt fitting and nut......that has been severely loctited!! The hose has been attached to the firewall using rubber coated P clamps attached to the same bolts that secure the brake line clamps. Looks fairly neat.
My theory is that the weber should create enough "suck" to create circulation from the catch can.
I made up a custom aluminium bracket 3mm thick to mount the can. Used some factory captive nuts in the strut tower to locate it. Got some stainless Allen bolts to secure the bracket to the car and the can. Spent a bit of time with sandpaper and the buffing wheel to get the shine on the ally!

So far so good..... Car runs exactly the same. I may have to redesign the system to be a bit more stealth when I redo the wiring.

Overall shot of the engine bay....battery looks terrible in there....will have to go to the boot eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:27 am 

Lovin' the stock appearance with white-band tyres and all... 8)

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:34 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

How about some more South Australian wheels?
http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=237002jnc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:59 am 

Been doing a bit of work on the "smurf" lately....

Pulled the wheels off to go over the whitewalls as they have gone brown....noticed the brake hoses didn't look to good....so off they came and went to south glenelg brake to get some new ones made up...thought I may as well have look at the pads....plenty left but decided to change them anyway. Then noticed that the calipers dust boots were perished so decided on a brake rebuild....ordered new kits and stripped the calipers down for a freshen up....snapped the bleed nipple on the left hand side so had to send it off to get drilled out and a repair kit put through it.
All went back together, flushed and bled the fluid. Brakes better than ever.

Car is off to the paint shop on Monday to get the rear door resprayed and a bubble of rust cut out of the rear quarter and re sprayed.

Will reassemble the car next weekend and also have some new old school bits to put on it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:46 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Weren't tempted to put better brakes on the front?

Snapped bleed nipple or similar is usually how my upgrade projects start. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:05 am 

Yeah I was very tempted.....given I had to get the car going in a couple of days to get to the paint shop I didn't have time to decide on a conversion and source everything and then fit it time.....I am sure an upgrade will happen....just not this time.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:15 am 

Look forward to seeing you out in the beast at all jap day! Want me to take the 7 mehehehe :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:32 pm 

That looks mad!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:34 pm 

Literally just picked the car up from the paint shop! No more rust bubble in the rear quarter or rear door. Got a small dent in the rear door fixed as well. Now to spend the rest of the night putting it back together and changing the look a bit....

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 52 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next