#
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:15 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
 Post subject: Fat 4 RE Rx4 coupe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:08 am 

So i have been on here a while but been watching some thread some feed back but not put one up of my own car, checking out a few. Now i am start one up from when i got it to now

Back story
Well i have owned a few Rx4 over the years now! Got my first one we i was 17 and had one ever since. So 15 years on 6 later this is my latest car

I got this Rx4 as my old car got defected and had lots of modification done to it and lots of little bits and pieces missing. and the first replacement shell was not as good as first thought

This was a good example to start my fresh rebuild with and out of 6 or more car which i checked out this was the best with no major damage (most of the other had major chassis damage and smoky motors) and was running but had a defect on it but it did have the s3 rear end on it but i just wanted a car to drive so it come home with me

here are some photos of how it was the day i got it, it was drivable but i wanted to get it looking sweet

It was the cleanest body Rx4 for sale at the time, straight body and chassis, had a 13b bridge port Rx4 motor, weber, vinyl roof and was complete but the car was in some need of some some TLC to get it where i wanted it

i also did like the look of the vinal roof lining

Now the rebuild started the day i got it home and started to stripper her down to change the colour of the interior from brown to Black.
Changing the suspension over to my already rebuilt and new stuff i was using in another project and getting it ready to clear Regency ( which the as the same as a road worthy in other states ) as the car had a defect on it when i bought it

So in my small shed space i pulled a few off and started repairing and paint things

Not long after this we got our first new home :) so i had to pack up ever thing up so i could move into this beauty of a shed
Which i filled filled up very quickly with both my Rx4's

the old bridge port motor only had about 6000km or so on it when i got it and i only put a few 100 more on it before i ripped it out
and sold it to a guy in Newcastle with the ported manifold and lightened flywheel

then i peeped my Fully rebuilt 13Bt series 4 block which was rebuilt about 1999 (got to put about 10,000km on it) before it sat around for 3-4 years while i was getting a body sorted out for it

New Engine specs
Rx7 s4 turbo motor
Large extent ported
race modified gears and installed window bearings bearings
2mm Mazda seals
12a turbo front cover
12a turbo water pump housing
brand new oil lines
Weber S4 manifold which is port match the the inlet ports
(old spec: 48mm weber with bigger jets)
K&N air filter
series 4 alternator which was fully polished by me then had it rebuilt
installed the gilmer belt drive
lightened flywheel which a heavy duty clutch pressure plate (balanced together) and a standard type clutch plate)
and a few more chrome bits that i could not polish

This is the engine bay almost finished but i decided that i had been waiting too long to drive the car i didn't paint the engine bay (5 year and 3 cars)

This is the only pic i got the the original interior, had brown dash, door trims, back seat, had so old bucket seat which were stuffed

Black dash in with My Recaro's bucket seats, black door trims, black centre console, Rx7 s2 steering wheel

Interior
Black Recaros seats
Black re-trimmed dash
New black carpet
New seat belts
Black head lining
Good condition black center consol
Re-trimed sun visors and front pillar trims
New front seat belts

The gearbox
was changed over from a rx4 4 speed to a supra 5 speed which was been fully rebuilt with[/quote]

Supra 5 speed Specs
New sincros
Bearings
New shifter bushes
Bead blasted housing
New rubber gearbox cross member mounts from Mazda
I Polished the dellor gearbox bell housing
Chromed the clutch fork
Brand new starter motor
Custom gearbox mount with new supra rubber mount

Installed the rebuilt 2 piece tail shaft which was balanced up to 4000 RPM

Suspension
This was the rebuilt suspension which has been all powder coated it Black of red and had a few small things ( brackets and some bolts) chromed and got stuck in to polishing what i could from my other project
Lowered Front springs powder coated red
Koni Red front shocks
K-Mac adjustable strut tops
New super Pro bushes through out
New ball joints
New Tie rod outer (inner were ok at the time)
New pitman arm
2in new lower rear leafs with extra leaf and anti tramp half springs

Brakes Upgrade and sway bar
Twin sway bar kit powdered coated red
Rebuilt brake booster and master cylinder
R31 skyline brake calipers (polished) and rebuilt on custom mounting brackets
626 vented disks bolted to standard hubs
Braided brake lines front (ADR approved)

the front end stuff

Polished front calipers (R31 calipers with 626 rotors) and braided brake lines , black powdered struts, red powdered springs and sway bars

The Diff, rear suspension and brakes
Standard diff with drum brakes
kyb rear shocks
16mm rear sway bar add to the rear powder coated red

Exhaust
extractors
twin system with extended primary's, 2 resies one in each twin pipe collecting just before the diff
Turbo rota flow rear muffler

Cooling system
new 4 core radiator
twin thermo fans

This was it ! took about 6 months to get all done and took the car to get the defect cleared (a road worthy). It was a good day as it passed the first time and got comments for the inspectors and keep the noise level down just @ 97db ( that was with a restrictor plate in the rear section before the rota flow muffler) but a pass is a pass

Last edited by Fat 4 RE on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fat 4 RE Rx4 coupe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:26 am 

So after the car was registered i puts some k's on it and then went and took some photos

gave the car a good detail inside and out

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:52 pm 

Good to see the old girl on here Matt! I didn't know it was a brown trim car! Did you get through regency with the 48IDA?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:12 pm 
Administrator

one of the best colours on a 4 imo 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:27 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Garant wrote:

Agreed

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:11 am 

jdmrx2 wrote:
Good to see the old girl on here Matt! I didn't know it was a brown trim car! Did you get through regency with the 48IDA?

Yeah i finally got a thread up---- now time for the real updates :D :P

Yep brown interior, it was the only colour trim choice with the colour D8 (Olive Metallic or Jewel Green depending on which colour chart you look at. which is factory colour code) from my knowledge. also with the colour D9 Alexandrite gold metallic (same as my original coupe colour) was brown . white was a mix between black and brown

It went through as the pics in second post :twisted: weber was not a issue as its a 1/74 car = pre emissions and they could not do any thing about it

Oracles wrote:
Garant wrote:

Agreed

Cheers guys i do really love the colour and with the white vinyl roof it just sets it off

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:34 am 

Then after about 1 year i decided to put my fuel injection on just before a Big cruse (100+ rotary's and other cars) which ment i had to pull my finger out!! i only gave my self 2 months to do it

Which is

Injection perfection 50mm manifold which was polished by me and then had some new seal and bearings
custom adapter plate for the K&N air filter
4x s4 550cc injectors
Ram pods
Fuel rail
Malpassie rising rate reg with 1 1/2 in Autometre pressure gauge
Carter 7psi pre pump
2 Lt surge tank
Bosch 044 high pressure pump
Microtech MTX-8 computer
Quad coils on custom bracket
Polished CAS

it looking a bit messy while installing it

A shot or the custom K&N adaptor and coil bracket

A finished shot of the injection

Get it all done and tuned in time for the cruise. Ended up with 121-126kw at the rear wheels

some pics from the cruise and meet spot... Man these were the good old days in the rotary scene in Little old Adelaide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:24 am 

Simply stunning...!! 8)
Awesome colour and even better with that off-white vinyl roof. :tu:
Great stance too...

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:01 am 

so i have forgotten about this thread and not finished my updates so i will continue where i left off

I decided that after our wedding in 2008 and our honeymoon to Europe i had 1 week before i went back to work so i went and got a price to clean up my old rims that were powered coated white originally.

Them on my original Rx4 when they were white

Rims
16in performance FX5 rims
Tires
Goodyear Eagle F1 G3 front
Goodyear Eagle F1 rear

They had been paint stripped (alkalined stripped) but one was found to be pouris and i had let them sit for 4 years thinking
that it would cost a shit load to fix.

This is them installed on one side only paint stripped

So i took them back to the Performance rims and they repaired them on the spot (at no charge) and quoted me $60 a rim for powder coating and to machine the lip so they all got dropped off and in 3 days they returned looking like this but only cost me $50 a rim 8)

Installed with new tires Goodyear Eagle F1 G3 on front and old Goodyear Eagle F1 on rear as they were in my shed with only 500km on them

Getting them installed

The finished product

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:05 am 

so then started the upgrades with all the parts i had accumulated over the years, starting with the drive line from the motor back

Now some more upgrades are going in

New lighten billet flywheel
Excedy heavy duty pressure plate
4 puk sprung center clutch plate
New clutch master cylinder
New clutch slave cylinder
And already has a braided line
Front 24mm race swaybar (new) getting paint stripped and powdered coated red

new flywheel all bolted up

clutch braided line

A rebuilt rx4 diff with all casting marks removed and brake line cover then all powdered coated black

Rx7 s3 rear brake conversion fully rebuilt

Rear Brakes
Rx7 s3 rebuilt calipers
Rx7 s3 rear vented disks re-drilled to 4x110
Custom alloy mount brackets
Modified Rx4 hand brake cables

Got my braided line for the rear back

just got to install and bleed them

a pic of the hard line on the diff

I also got new spring saddle rubbers coming for it to so its all nice and fresh back their

And i also found out that my steering box is shagged (which is the only thing in the front end that was not rebuilt)
So rebuilding or buying a change over one

Old steering box as it looked before rebuilding it

Rebuilt steering box with new steering joint, new bearing, gaskets and painted the pitman arm again as it was looking a bit average
ImageImage

My Brake booster Painted up, new stainless steel sleeved master cylinder and modified for rear disks

And brake booster/master back in the car just have to do a final bleed

Last edited by Fat 4 RE on Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:28 am 

How as some might have noticed the my s2 coupe has the s3 ass end on her which was the only down fall of the car as it had mixed identities which i was told it had been changed in the early 80's [why i don't know :roll: ]
so with the help of some good people i have been getting the bits together to be able to change it over

so is is whats in on it ATM

So i have been picking parts up
2 to choose from 8)

and with a good clean set of tail light, an ok bumper, a re-chromed rear number plate light and one of the back dress panels

and a mate had this sitting at his house
so i cut it off so i can get it stripped and unpicked so it can be installed

this is all the parts installed to check for alignment and all looks good 8)

now its the fun bit of unpicking and making the decision to take it off the road for a longer period to do this change over and maybe the vinyl roof as well as the cancer is most likely at work under their

Got a couple of new/ re-chromed parts parts for the rear s2 conversion

Update on back panel--after unpicking it i dropped it off to get paint stripped and de-rusted and come back looking like this :D
with the corner section all cleaned up and in a water base sealer

Front stone guard all paint stripped and will need a little more repair still :o

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:38 am 

So getting the car ready for a well needed tune and giving the car a full service

a sump that was sitting around for a long time unsealed and was also paint stripped and de-rusted, has a water base sealer on it also

Painted the sump i had cleaned the same color as the motor

I had some sump stiffening plates and bolts zinc plated years ago, a new sump gasket, Oil filter and Motul oil for it

Gasket installed and about to fit the sump
i Had to drop the cross member to get the sump out which was a bit of a pain but gave me a chance to clean some stray oil for the steering box and old sump that was around

Serviced the K&N air filter and oiled it up (man it was dirty) and come up good, new fuel filters going in too, Just need to install the new spark plugs and get the thing Dyno tuned

Also trying to complete some of the engine bay wiring upgrade with a modified left hand bay loom with upgraded alternator wiring and charge light relay so it is all plug in just need a 10amp diode for it and can install the loom

So spent some time on the dyno with some good resaults :thrust: :thrust:
even with the minor fucking around with the Vac problem and fixing it i am so happy with the tune and its like a new car to drive now :D =P~ [/size]

So smooth through the rev range and no shuddering when the staging kick in now

So after 3 hours on the dyno we got 123.1kw atw before the final tune
Dyno max - dynodynamtics

then on the final power run it made 125.8kw at the wheels with air cleaner off and 122.6kw atw with the air cleaner on

before and after read out (well the before one was after the first clean up of the map and before fixing the Vac problem Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:00 am 

So with the decision to turbo the car in late 2008/ early 2009 (which was the intention to so when i built the motor in 1998/99)

Started by spending some cash on the turbo setup over a bit of time and collecting parts for the install

So got a turbo manifold with 48mm turbosmart waste gate and screamer pipe, stainless steel dump suit 4 bolt T3 rear housing, oil and water feeds, plenum to suit injection perfection setup, 2 x 850cc semiens injectors and 2 x bosch 1600cc white tops

a closer look at it with some other goodies :D :twisted:

So still working out turbo options at the moment but think it will be a GT35R (GT3540 with 1.06 rear )

still more money to spend before it is ready to be installed like dump back exhaust, intercooler and piping, pod filter, BOV (if running one), and some other small mods that need to be done/fixed before it is all a goer

So the intention to do a turbo install lead to the need of suspension and brake upgrades!!!!!!

after accumulating more parts i got back in the shed and start the install of some of the new parts that have been brought in the last few months

So Rear adjustable koni got installed to day and st on almost hardest setting (still got to go for a drive to find out if too still)
shock waiting to be installed

Removed the KYB (almost new) shocks and put these in

i still have to remove the K-mac rear sway bar and get it powder coated red like the rest of the Bars and front springs

Then started getting all the new BIG brake conversion ready

The list goes like this:
New bearings
Standard hubs with studs put in them
Custom Garage custom Rx7 s4/s5 caliper mounts
275-280mm vented and slotted disks (R33 skyline) which bolt up to the original hubs and cause no change in offset
S4 Turbo calipers fully rebuild (new seals etc) zinked all bolts, paint red with detailed (white) MAZDA logo
DS2500 pads (i think that's what they are)
Car already has braided brake line all round

Well the kit is brought from Custom garage and it is not re-drilled to 4x110 rather that they have been drilled so that they bolt up behind the hub as the standard disks would (see pic below) and it does not change the track of the car or the need to change off set of rims.
I am not sure if their is any extra to be modified to the disk it self as i have never seen a r33 disk unmodified before

Standard hubs

as they would be sitting on the car

where the caliper would mount to the strut

THEN THE UPGRADE INSTALL HAS STARTED (was around March 2010)

the front of the car is up in the air and the twin sway bars are out and the brakes are coming off \:D/

So the new 24mm sway bar got stripped back and powder coated

And the finish on it

And the old brake setup before it was removed and is for sale

More pics of the brake conversion, New bearings installed and backed with grease, new wheel nuts, disks bolted to hubs
trial fitting the setup

More pics to come once it is all done :twisted:.......

So brakes are all in just have to refill and bleed them

A comparison shot for all
ImageImage

and a few more finished ones

just not sure if the braided line are going to be ok as they are the ones i had done for the old setup and i hope they are not to short [-o<, when i turned the wheel to full lock all seemed ok

Just have to get out and install the 24mm bar but i have to modify the lower control arm rubber retaining plate as the outer one centre hole is just to small (by 1mm all round) as the new bar has a larger diameter thread ](*,)

back down on all 4's
OK so install is all done and may just need a final bleed of the brakes and a re-nip of the suspension, pedal feels good and need to take it for a drive to test it all

PICS

Had the wheel alignment done today and i got to say that i am more than happy with the overall change to the hole car with turn in response and positive corner feel

Also the brakes are bed in and just feel wicked and does it pull the car up so dam well. No signs of lockup at all and pedal has a nice travel but quite firm

Rx4's Cruise here we come :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:22 am 

Just took some new pics of the car on the weekend (April 2010) after a wash with the new brake upgrade, suspension upgrade and new number plates

i really like this pic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:49 am 

The brakes that i had on it was not to bad (but disks were 40mm smaller and only single pot calipers) + and the fact i have the S3 rear conversion on it, but due to the next stage of the project this was a must :D :twisted:

So very soon the Gt35R - GT3540 is getting brought and then that will be installed and a front mount cooler. I have every thing but the cooler, dump back exhaust piping and the turbo ........ So i cant wait 200+Kw here we come \:D/

:twisted: GT35R 8-[ here we come

So deciding on the inter cooler was a bit of debating around a front mount (air to air) or barrel type water to air cooler.

I am thinking of getting a top outlet medium to large cooler, one with both the pipes coming out above the radiator (drop the height of radiator slightly) , short runners from cooler to the Plenum, plus the car is not getting cut up in any way and i really don't want big pipes running around the front stone guard and through to the bay

So this arrived today (late April 2010) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: New GT35/40 1.06 rear

Time to start setting things up

Still need a front mount cooler, piping, dump back exhaust to the rear rotaflow and some small things to get it all on 8-[ 8-[ :thrust: :thrust:

Then I got out in the shed and started playing with the collection of parts i got for the install and mocked it up to see how it all sat

So the NEW parts list
Garrett GT3540 1.06 rear
Turbosmart 48mm waste gate
Custom stem pipe turbo manifold
Custom dump Suit Gt3540 in Rx4
Braided oil feed
Stainless oil drain
Water lines
New turbo gasket set
Injection perfection 3in Plemium
Bosch 1600cc white top injectors
Semans 850cc injectors
Autometre Phantom Boost/Vac gauge
12a turbo water pump housing

To come
Front mount intercooler (custom)
Piping to suit
Air filter
Blow off valve????
Boost controller (maybe e boost 2 or a duel port manual type)
Exhausting piping between dump to rota flow
Re-Tune

More pic up when more happens :twisted: :twisted:

*June 2010*
Tezzer shots

Turbo and manifold mocked up on the spare block

Sitting in position in the car

not real happy with the manifold as the guy i got it off must of modded the engine cross member as it is sitting only 2-4mm off the chassis rail and i can't get the waste gate on.........

so looks like a small mod to make it all good ](*,) :-k :punch: \:D/

Took the front cover off the turbo and polished the shit out of it

back on the the car trial fit

July 2010
So got out in the shed today and played with the turbo manifold

Started by re fitting the turbo to the manifold to check the positions before modifying it

Then took to it with a grinder and cut the flange off the runners :twisted:

This is the clearance i got once removing the above pieces 22mm off the front runner length and 16-18mm off the rear

Turbo back on manifold (the white stuff is foam just to support the manifold as it has not been welded yet), dump pipe fitted

Also fitted the screamer pipe to the gate, but i am going to get a plumb back pipe done when it is at the exhaust and keep the screamer for track day and for when i feel like running a muck at letting every one else know about it

With not modifying of the dump pipe this is the clearance now
Not sure if i will mod it slightly just to gain some more room ???

just need to clean (machine) the face of the flange now and then weld it all back together
before cutting
after

Now Checking out intercooler options and getting prices :twisted: :-"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:27 am 

I was running a Microtech MTX8 ECU in the car when it was running NA but with the turbo conversion i felt i needed a newer computer in the car which had more tune-ability in it so i brought a Microtech LT10s off a friend that he had for sale at a good price.

Been in the shed stripping the engine bay of all wiring to modifying the looms to reduce the cables in them and re-running wires so it will all be neater

Installed all s4 alternator wiring and relay into the the factory loom

Also started re-wiring the ECU with a LT10s and X4 box (get it all next week) and cleaning the wiring mess that was too, moved fuel pump relay under dash and making custom mounting bracket to fit where the emissions box used to sit

Picked up a Megasonic turbosmart BOV (matt black) for it and some other parts coming soon
so some more money been spent on the turbo install :roll: :roll:

Turbosmart FRP 1200 (in black also)
fitted up my autometre pressure gauge and new -6an fittings on fuel lines and mounted to firewall

also fitted up injector 2 x 850cc primary injectors and 2 x 1600cc secondary shortened hose to fuel rail to fit under plenum outlet, new allen head screws on all parts on plenum

Finished drivers side wiring loom reduction and reinstalled, half way through the passenger side and upgrading alternator wiring into loom almost done, small engine loom has been redone too just got to get a few more plug connector to complete

re-wired left front engine wiring loom, removed all unused cables and repositioned cable to suit the new ecu install, including alt wiring upgrade and warning light relay in the original loom now

Installing LT10s ECU and x4 box with new injector plugs, relocating all relay and fuse box to clean up engine bay, still a little bit more custom brackets to get it all in me thinks

almost finished Lt10s install and rewire. all new injector plugs, water temp plug and t.p.s plug

X4 box is now mounted on the original emissions box bracket, also the fuel pump relay and fuse box (looks neat if i don't say so my self)

SEPT 2010
Ok still not much happening but soon it will :( . Just sold some stuff so got the funds for more of the parts to finish it off \:D/

The small things i have been doing over the last few weeks i have had spare which has not been much

Modified 12a turbo water pump (removed the air pump bracket and cleaned up castings, tapped the water fitting as the pipe was stuffed
modified one on the left is the one i am using (one on the right is for sale)

finished final mods on the exhaust manifold and got the turbo in the right position, cleaned all welds ready for welding and ceramic coating

New braided water feed lines for turbo and speed flow fittings

Turbosmart FPR now where i want it after a new bracket i made up and speed flow black fittings :thrust: :thrust:
Its sitting just right me thinks

still more to go before its done :-k

*October 2010*
With the same mate i got the ECU off had a brand new PWR aluminum radiator sitting in a box as home i was thinking i need to bling the engine bay up and the way i was planing to install the inter cooler some mode were needing to be made and better on a aluminum radiator the a rebuild 4 core copper radiator!!!

OK no going back now :-k so been on call all weekend but got the public holiday and Tuesday off (Love RDO's), so spend a few hours in the shed today planing and sorting out how to pull some of the last shit together and get this car back on the road

The only problem was that the camera battery died and did not get as many pics as i wanted ](*,) #-o :-({|=

So the new parts that have been purchased
PWR Radiator (Thanks Rxwepon) its the Rx7 s3 one which has the bottom outlet facing up but is perfect of the top mount cooler style i am going for
Calibre 4in air filter (until i get a K&N later) just to much money getting spent on this car as of late
A few different gaskets (water pump, thermostat, manifold)

So out came the 4 core radiator, twin thermo fans, removed the alternator. Then found that the water pump is almost fucked #-o ](*,) dam more money, trial fitted the new radiator
it is just hanging in these pics to see where it was going to sit

then i positioned the old rad on it and marked out the mounting holes, (i drilled the hole the same as factory, so the radiator can be mounted normally/standard position) i had to trim the bottom bracket section of the rad so i could drop it down far enough for the cooler

then i made up some spacers (timber works ever time :laugh:) so i could trial where the inter-cooler would sit (note the cardboard inter-cooler i made up :o :lol: and the spray can caps as they are the same size (2 1/2in) as the outlets

Once the cooler rocks up i will get the timber spacers/mounts made in aluminium or steel and tap threads in them so they can bolt in and still mount the rad off the original mounting position but 80mm lower for the inter cooler and mod the filler neck on the rad also, the oil cooler will be mounted under the inter-cooler and the oil lines should pass the rad with room to play.. Both the inter-cooler/oil cooler and rad will not be more than 20mm lower that the original setup :bounce3:

Finished off the Microtech wire up, new injector and water plug all in and conduit done, just waiting on a mate doing some of the wiring so the rest of the engine bay can be finished being wired

Things i still need
Spal thermo fan
New water pump
inter cooling piping
weld the manifold and pump back exhaust to rear rota flow
some silicon hoses
a boost controller of some kind (just thinking of a boost tee for now)
maybe a custom oil cooler (but will see once the cooler gets here)
a tune

More pics soon :-"

**So when i said it seams like it is moving backwards ,this is why **

Cleaning up the heater bypass and painting it while it is out, the weber manifold is getting a minor adjustment on the ports so it is matched to the inlets and injection perfection better and painting, water pump housing done and painted ready once the new pump is here

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:30 am 

21st October 2010
Inter-cooler and spal thermo ordered and waiting on delivery :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: :thrust: , a few more bit to buy to finish some of the small stuff off and can start putting it back together

Quote:
What size cooler did you end up going?

Mate as you know i am not cutting the car up at all, so the option to do the inter-cooler was a hard decision but it has been made am i am going for a PWR top out let rx2-7 cooler
it is 500mm wide x 370mm high and 80mm(68mm core) with 2 1/2in outlets so it will be big enough and the amount of piping and its length is going to be so small it will be responsive due to this

so i know it is not the biggest one but it suits the style of the car and will mad once i finish playing the final fitment with the drop down PWR radiator and a few other tricks i am looking at doing

Ok so parts arrived on Thursday (7th November 2010)

Spal fan
PWR cooler

Fan fitted to Rad

Trial fit of the parts
ImageImageImage

Still got some planing to do as the fan is not fitting at the moment with the spacing i have used with the radiator, but with some minor trimming of the inside of the rad support where i had my old fans mounted to lift the cooler a bit and get it back some more so the rad spacer and be reduced in size. but starting to look good...

(10th November 2010)
So mad some adjustment on the front to see if i could get the cooler in a better pace and pull the Rad further back as i have some clearance issues with the outlet hitting the engine mount and getting the fan on the rad too :gay:

Just a trial fit again but looking good

Got the cooler sitting nice and almost were i want it
and no change to the grill but i will need a set of new grill brackets now

Still need to lift the cooler some 5-10mm max so i can get more clearance and so the top fitting can get bolts in them
and clean up the top cut #-o

I can now reduce the (timber) spacer down by about 20mm and re-check the clearances then get the billet ones milled down and some other bracket welded to the cooler and bolt it to them so the bitch won't/ cant move :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

(14th Nov 2010)
Timber spacer was reduced to 20mm to pull the rad closer to the cooler, trimmed 5mm off the top of the rad support to lift the cooler so every thing can fit better with not to much extra modification

Nothing like mm clearances

Got to make a bracket for the oil cooler to sit under the inter-cooler now, it won't sit any lower then where it normally wood and with i little bit of trickery i may still be able to use the oil lines i have 8) :D

Got back the new gearbox cross member also just got to drill it out after re-measuring it again and again so i get it all right :-k ](*,) this bit is taking a while

Should get more done this week when i do not work 70+ hours in a week :-({|=

(6th December 2010)
Some more small updates

Got the gearbox x-member almost all sorted out

Drilled almost all the rubber mount hole but the big centre hole (40mm) clearance for the safety through bolt

Still got to do a final measure so i can drill the last body mounting holes just deciding on if one will do it of just drill 2 and make it stiffer

Done and painted

Piecing all the re-paint bits cleaned bits back together for some more measuring
-Sand blasted weber manifold and painted again after a checking of the port matching
- Painter 12at water pump housing and water pump
- polished the fuel reg bracket
- checking throttle and bracket
- test fitting a top rad hose
- finished all new water proof plug connector for engine wiring

Next get all the piping done so i can get this thing back on the road (doc i will be getting hold of you soon :D ) I may strip the engine bay down and paint it before getting it all running :-k :-k :-k it needs it

(16th January 2011)
OK some work has been completed :bounce3: and can get onto the exhaust and coating manifolds, turbo housings dump pipe once all in correct position.

Ok got a bracket made up for the oil cooler to sit under the intercooler and with a little bit of playing before drilling it and the aid of some spacers got it sitting right where i want it
The outlets sit right between the original oil cooler bracket and the radiator spacer

Then i had Dr_fc_3s drop over and do the piping in stainless steel for the cooler =P~ :thrust: :thrust:
Sitting sweet and low under the bonnet
i had polished the small one in this pic

Both pipes polished

I did not take any pic of the man in action but i don't think he wanted to be in any pic anyways :D Thanks again mate

So in the next week i will try to get a few small jobs finished and organize a time got get the exhaust done then a small pull back down to check all parts and install all gaskets before the final install 8-[ 8-[ :)

(24th January 2011)
i had the 40x40mm billet ally for the radiator space milled down to 20x40mm (thanks Steve) so i can get them in a drill press and set up the bolt holes with counter sunk holes for the original radiator mounting and tap new threads for the new mounting position. Also thinking of using a right angle to bolt the oil cooler bracket (which is attached to the bottom of the intercooler and has no bottom fixing atm) to it to make it more ridged and have threaded bolts for the oil cooler attachment to make it easier to install....(as atm it was a bitch due to no clearance and using nuts and bolts. "my hands are to big to try this shit to many times"

Got the water lines almost sorted too. Just need some new -8 weld on fittings to clean up the install and then done. tidy up were the oil line is running also looks neater now

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]