#
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 10   [ 194 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Building my rx3 and housing it..
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:48 am 

Man that looks awesome and huge too :tu: :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:58 pm 

Fat 4 RE wrote:
Man that looks awesome and huge too :tu: :wink:

Cheers mate! yeah I am pretty happy with the result. Took me allot of time and effort to get this far. Dunno about huge but it should be enough 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:40 pm 

Update: Well the wagon has really had a few weeks sitting dormant as I progressed with the back yard, that's not to say I did nothing on it. I still do some online shopping and research.

Still chasing an 808 wiring diagram??

The front struts were sent to be rebuilt and custom fitted out with coil-over setup with King springs new locking nuts fitted to the upright tube and adjustable camber strut top with pillow ball fitment. This included Koni adjustable inserts. I already had the big brakes sorted previously.

The thread for the coil-over locking nuts needed to be above the rim and tyre as the offset of rims I chose run very close to the strut tube. This only allows for a small amount of adjustment and some would say why bother, however the whole length of the complete unit has been shortened so the car will sit low and I have around an inch of final adjustment without sacrificing shock travel distance.
They fitted up perfectly!
Although I did learn what the triangular shaped metal plates that sit on top of your original struts (that most people pull out and chrome then put back on top of the strut tower) are for, they are a spacer as the inside top of the strut tower is not flat. When I attempted to put the new strut top plate in, it would not sit flat, the edges touched the inside of the strut tower as the radius bends stamped into the edges of strut tower sheet metal are a larger diameter than the edges of new strut top. Not wanting to shave the edges off my new billet strut tops I pondered for a moment... then the light bulb moment!! By adding the 4mm spacer it allows the strut top to sit flat no shaving or shaping needed. Quite hard to explain without pics but I forgot to take progress shots of this stage..

More in the next update

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:01 pm 

Update: Having pixel limit issues on my pics so keeping the updates short..

Now the struts were fitted I got excited as I knew I could start to fit the front end panels. I could leave them off for a while longer as I worked on the car but I am wanting some motivation and the best way to get that is start to actually put the car together in some way shape or form.
So I grabbed the front quarter panels down from storage high on the garage walls all bubble wrapped and fitted up the guard mirrors (Que: gypsy's sigh here :roll:)
Then started to fit the first of the panels...

All went well and I was very excited so I went and grabbed the nose cone from our lounge room, My partner stoked to see it removed from the house and fitted it up also. Not allot of progress pics as it was a week night and I wanted to get shit done.
The lower section of the nose cone actually hit the oil cooler so I had to add a spacer on the radiator mounts to fix that little problem.

This section shown above is one area that is a pet hate of mine in slapped together rx3/808 builds. Here you can see a nice fit, no weird bends or dodge fitment. :lol:

Then went out for the good ol mock up pics with some bling in the day light. First time the wagon has seen daylight in a couple months.

First time my old girl has ever had its face on properly.. dam I'm excited at how its all come together. Oil cooler hangs low but not stupidly so, considering I have such a large radiator to keep it cool.

Thanks for reading!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:16 pm 

Looks sensational! Loving the fender mirrors :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:54 am 

You musted have spent a bit there looks like a resort :lol:
If your court yards are anything to go by your wagz is going to be mint !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:46 am 

looking good

The fun bit it, when it starts to come together

Last edited by Ontrack on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:33 am 

man the car is looking real good and coming together nicely 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:14 am 

Looks nice with the 10A nosecone on there, making good progress.

I might have to do a thread of my coupe on here soon.

Keith :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:56 am 

Thanks for the kind words all of you! The car and yard pretty much consume all my spare time, I'm glad it's all starting to take shape and look like I've spent 2+years working on them both! No longer does my yard resemble a construction site mixed with a Mazda wreckers 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:56 am 

Awesome progress mate :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:02 am 

Mo's wrote:
Awesome progress mate :D

Cheers Mo. I've been a bit slack on the car since my last update. Will get back into it soon. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:43 pm 

Car, yard and shed look really bloody good!

I'm looking forward to getting into my house in the new year after being in a unit for 7 years....evetually I want a shed out the back and a bit more design to my back yard, your work is a great inspiration. For the first year or so I'll just be happy to have all the cars and parts under one roof, which will make things so much easier :D....I'll have to get back on to my 808 once that happens, as it's been at a mates place for a few months after it played up and gave me the shits.

1969 1200 Coupe - SOLD :(
1971 RX2 Coupe - SOLD :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:03 pm 

Beware wrote:
Car, yard and shed look really bloody good!

I'm looking forward to getting into my house in the new year after being in a unit for 7 years....evetually I want a shed out the back and a bit more design to my back yard, your work is a great inspiration. For the first year or so I'll just be happy to have all the cars and parts under one roof, which will make things so much easier :D....I'll have to get back on to my 808 once that happens, as it's been at a mates place for a few months after it played up and gave me the shits.

Thanks mate! Golf gti is the go then.
I must admit its been a hard slog. Yard design then making it happen I find fun. It's hard work when you can't afford to pay landscapers etc but the satisfaction after when it comes together is quite satisfying. I get allot of inspiration and motivation from other members on here!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 10   [ 194 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10