#
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:04 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 93 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: '77 TE61 Trueno Sprinter 1600GT - JDM
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:08 am 

Nice Sprinter you have there, I bet you get a lot of looks driving that in Hong Kong. Probably more looks then the all the lambo's and rolls royce's there.

When you were looking for your car, where there many vintage importers/dealers? it would be cool to check some out next time i'm in Hong Kong.

Do you know if an old car like yours can still get plates to drive on the Mainland? I was hoping it could be a loophole incase i'm ever more permanent in Guangzhou/Shiqiao one day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:16 pm 

To say that I am impressed is a huge understatement. Other than TE27s and AE86s, it is so hard to find any pictures/info on the web about other generations of the Trueno. And yours is just so cherry.

I am actually also interested in how the importation process into Hong Kong works? I am considering writing a master's thesis about automotive culture in China, and from what I have read it can be quite difficult to import older cars into the mainland. I hadn't considered the fact that Hong Kong's policies could be different.

How often do you see other classics there, other than at shows/meets?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:52 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

I must have sat here 100 times to watch the passing cars & bikes with a sweet coffee and waffle on Sunday mornings. One of the joys of living in HKG. Glorious Trueno too! What a great combination for those roads. Here it is in 2000:

Neko.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:19 am 

A huge THX once again to all of you for the flattering words about my little Trueno!! :D

oldeskewltoy wrote:
getting the rear end under control is not going to be easy... if I'm not mistaken your TE61 has leaf springs... There just isn't a lot you can do. It might help to try different shocks... AE86 rear shocks might fit... at least they both have a bushed eyelet on the axle end and a threaded rod on the top to fit the body. You also might look into poly mounts for your springs... keep them from moving too much. Not sure if your car is equipped with sway bars or not... I also don't know if there are any suppliers still making parts for your car.... BUT... there is an American sway bar manufacturer who does still show swaybars for the 75-79 models - http://www.addco.net/aftermarket/catalog/toyota/

Yeah, it is indeed leaf springs on the rear. And while there's a swaybar up front (haven't bothered measuring diameter...), the rear does not have one. I'm currenly looking into my options. It seems King Springs produce lowering springs for the front axle, and I'm talking to both Bilstein and Monroe about new gas shock absorbers, but neither company has confirmed anything yet. Once I know what I'm doing regarding springs and shocks, I'll certainly keep ADDCO in mind for a rear swaybar. Thx for the link... :wink:

parrot wrote:
Consider joining up on http://www.rollaclub.com

This is an Australian based forum, and although I doubt there are any TE61's in Australia, I assume (but not certain) the chassis is common with the KE55. There is a wealth of knowledge for this model on there, lots of build threads etc.

You will certainly find out where to obtain polybushes to tighten the rear end up, what rear dampers are available, and sway bar options.

Signature swaybars in Sydney are a continuation of Selby swaybars which have been around for manyyears. Todd Selby runs it now, and will almost certainly have something either off the shelf, or specifications to make whatever you want. He is happy to ship too.

Signature Swaybars
Shock Absorbers, Springs & Suspensions - Nowra, NSW
It's All About Our Custom Sway Bars.

Unit 10/ 34 Quinns Lane, South, Nowra NSW 2541
Phone
(02) 4421 2722

signatureswaybars@bigpond.com

As mentioned above I'm looking into springs and shocks first, but will also check up on Signature Swaybars once I'm ready for that next mod. Thx Parrot! :wink:
I too assume that the whole suspension set-up is identicle to that on the KE55. Will definitely join Rollaclub too...

benny_blanco wrote:
Nice Sprinter you have there, I bet you get a lot of looks driving that in Hong Kong. Probably more looks then the all the lambo's and rolls royce's there.

When you were looking for your car, where there many vintage importers/dealers? it would be cool to check some out next time i'm in Hong Kong.

Do you know if an old car like yours can still get plates to drive on the Mainland? I was hoping it could be a loophole incase i'm ever more permanent in Guangzhou/Shiqiao one day.

Thx Benny! It does actually get a huge amount of attention on the road. Amusingly more so than much of the real big-cash exotica... :lol:
There's certainly not a lot of classic car dealers/importers here, but if you know where to look, there are a few out there. PM me next time you're coming to Honkers, and we can jump in the Trueno and I'll show you a few of them... :tu:
Is for getting Mainland plates to stick on your HK reg'd classic, I honestly haven't got a clue if it's doable. But if it's something you're seriously considering, I'll try to look into it for you...

jkwade wrote:
To say that I am impressed is a huge understatement. Other than TE27s and AE86s, it is so hard to find any pictures/info on the web about other generations of the Trueno. And yours is just so cherry.

I am actually also interested in how the importation process into Hong Kong works? I am considering writing a master's thesis about automotive culture in China, and from what I have read it can be quite difficult to import older cars into the mainland. I hadn't considered the fact that Hong Kong's policies could be different.

How often do you see other classics there, other than at shows/meets?

I'm honoured mate!! :oops: :D
But you're right, there's virtually no info at all out there on my generation of the Trueno. It certainly makes things a bit more challenging!! But then on the flipside, I must confess that I also enjoy owning something this rare! 8)
If I find out more about China reg. for Benny, I can let you know too. However, I can already say now that there is definitely a difference in Mainland policies and HK policies...

Kuroneko wrote:
I must have sat here 100 times to watch the passing cars & bikes with a sweet coffee and waffle on Sunday mornings. One of the joys of living in HKG. Glorious Trueno too! What a great combination for those roads. Here it is in 2000:

Neko.

HaHa... what a coincidence!! :D
Neko, do you still live in Honkers?? If so, we should meet up for a drive up Bride's Pool Road...

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:58 am 

Anyway, last Sunday I took the Trueno to the Chater Road Show with Classic Car Club of HK. I'd spent ages preparing her for the show with plenty of muscle, claybar and Meguires, and I must confess that I was well satisfied with the way the paintwork and chrome gleamed in the sun when I Sunday morning rolled out of the underground parking. :D

HeHe... a small anecdote... On the way to the exhibition I suddenly see this very low, very wide and very fast thing approaching in my rear view mirror. It turns out to be an Pagoni Zonda thundering up behind me! The Chinese driver in the Zonda slams on his brakes so we're side-by-side, and my eyes are all but popping out their sockets, I'm starring that hard at this radical piece of exotica! :shock: And then the most bizarre thing happens, because the Zonda-driver quickly glances over at me and the Trueno, and promptly sends me a huge smile with an appreciative "thumbs up"...! WTF?? What's going on here - did I wake up in some sort of reversed universe this morning? I am after all just driving an old Toyota, and the owner of a Zonda is hardly meant to notice my presence on the road. But before I even have time to return the kind gesture, Mister ZondaMan just floors it again and launches for the horizon with a hair-rising wail.
Surreal...!

Anyway, I continued slightly puzzled on towards Chater Road and parked the Trueno among the other goodies already there.

Should you want to see all my pics from Chater Road Show, then follow this link. But be warned, the majority is European stuff...
http://s160.photobucket.com/user/02Anders/slideshow/Chater%20Road%20Show%202013

It was a great day out, with clear blue skies, about 30 degrees celcius and a calm easy-going atmosphere amoung all those showing off their beautiful classic wheels. With 92 cars on display there was also plenty to keep everyone entertained!
Around 4pm we started to leave, but I just couldn't help myself from taking the long way home... :P So by the time I got out to Lantau Island where I live, the sun was starting to set behind the mountain tops. The light was just magical, so naturally it needed to be taken advantage of together with the newly polished paintwork...

I must confess that I'm really enjoying Nippon ownership even more than I had dared hope for... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:50 am 

02Anders wrote:

HeHe... a small anecdote... On the way to the exhibition I suddenly see this very low, very wide and very fast thing approaching in my rear view mirror. It turns out to be an Pagoni Zonda thundering up behind me! The Chinese driver in the Zonda slams on his brakes so we're side-by-side, and my eyes are all but popping out their sockets, I'm starring that hard at this radical piece of exotica! :shock: And then the most bizarre thing happens, because the Zonda-driver quickly glances over at me and the Trueno, and promptly sends me a huge smile with an appreciative "thumbs up"...! WTF?? What's going on here - did I wake up in some sort of reversed universe this morning? I am after all just driving an old Toyota, and the owner of a Zonda is hardly meant to notice my presence on the road. But before I even have time to return the kind gesture, Mister ZondaMan just floors it again and launches for the horizon with a hair-rising wail.
Surreal...!

GREAT STORY!!!

(wake up in reversed universe) Not at all........ All you need to buy a Zonda is money... but to buy your car requires effort AND imagination Effort is harder to spend then money... for some folks.... and many of those with money... have little of no imagination.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:50 am 

02Anders wrote:

Surreal...!

GREAT STORY!!!

(wake up in reversed universe) Not at all........ All you need to buy a Zonda is money... but to buy your car requires effort AND imagination. Effort is harder to spend then money... for some folks.... and many of those with money... have little of no imagination.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:14 pm 

oldeskewltoy wrote:
02Anders wrote:

Surreal...!

GREAT STORY!!!

(wake up in reversed universe) Not at all........ All you need to buy a Zonda is money... but to buy your car requires effort AND imagination. Effort is harder to spend then money... for some folks.... and many of those with money... have little of no imagination.

Everything about this story and response is beautiful. I don't know which part is better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:45 am 

Great story, great pictures, great car 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:46 am 

Oldeskewltoy, you are of course absolutely right!
You know that. I know that. I think everyone on this forum knows that.
But very rarely do you come across a Mister ZondaMan who has enough self insight to realize and to admit this too. To his credit, this guy clearly did. Heartwarming to come across a ludicrously rich dude, who is still nothing but a genuine carguy...
:tu:

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:04 am 
JNC Enthusiast

02Anders wrote:
Neko, do you still live in Honkers?? If so, we should meet up for a drive up Bride's Pool Road...

No. Unfortunately. Or, fortunately. Depending on your view. I live in Tokyo now. I do get back to HKG a few times a year though still... Neko.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:10 am 

Kuroneko wrote:
02Anders wrote:

No. Unfortunately. Or, fortunately. Depending on your view. I live in Tokyo now. I do get back to HKG a few times a year though still... Neko.

Well if you have some spare time next time you're in Honkers, drop me a PM... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:49 am 

02Anders wrote:
Thx Benny! It does actually get a huge amount of attention on the road. Amusingly more so than much of the real big-cash exotica... :lol:
There's certainly not a lot of classic car dealers/importers here, but if you know where to look, there are a few out there. PM me next time you're coming to Honkers, and we can jump in the Trueno and I'll show you a few of them... :tu:
Is for getting Mainland plates to stick on your HK reg'd classic, I honestly haven't got a clue if it's doable. But if it's something you're seriously considering, I'll try to look into it for you...

I'll have to pm you when I head back in Hong Kong, the only defiant I know will be the 2014/15 spring festival. Though if an export project i'm working on gets the green light I will be back in Guangzhou and Hong Kong early / mid next year.

If you manage to hear anything about rego thats good, Something I am seriously considering though i'm still realistically a couple of years off making the move to live there so not in a rush.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:37 pm 

Don't expect an answer tomorrow, but I'll look into it for you Benny... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:55 pm 

This one went through the Japanese Auctions this week. TE65 with 94,000km. $8K landed maybe?

The estimate is in Australian dollars. No other info regarding specification.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:20 am 

Cool! :D So there's at least one that made it down under.
Thx for sharing Parrot...
8k Aussie sounds cheap enough if the condition is as clean as the pic and the mileage suggest.
She looks pretty good on those Hayashi Street's too. Hmmmm.... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:27 pm 

No this one is in Japan, it was being auctioned during the week.

The $AUD8000 was an estimate of cost landed in Australia and complied to our regulations, depending on interest among bidders at auction of course. Ironchef Imports is an Australian based company that specialises in buying cars to order through Japan Auctions and shipping across here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:57 pm 

Was out for another Sunday Morning Drive last weekend. Needless to say, this little trio got a fair bit of attention... :D

Must admit that seeing the BMW 2002tii Lux did make me miss my old 02's back home in Denmark though...
But it was great to explore the small twisty roads through the scenic northern Hong Kong together!

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:20 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I am a big fan of Trueno. Wonderful car :tu:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:29 pm 

Thx for your kind words Oracles! :D

Embracing the JNC'ness...!!

My first Nippon classic and me with my first JNC t-shirt.

And of course my first JNC sticker duly applied to the rear side window. :wink:

Guess I really ought to get a JAF sticker to keep it company...

Best Regards,
Anders.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 93 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next