#
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:25 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
 Post subject: MX32 Cressida Engine Conversion
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:08 am 

Ok, so I have an 80 Cressida that has 95000 original miles now and I’m looking to go with something more modern in the engine bay. Don’t get me wrong, I have enjoyed the 4ME and it still runs strong, but it just is a dog for power most of the time and can be thirsty.
I have been driving the 80 Cressida model since I was 15 and am 40 now and just ready for a change in performance and parts availability.
I currently live in Utah and am looking for any recommends on shops that do conversions and do them right and what is an ideal engine set up. I want something I can drive for a distance and not have much worry.

Option 2 is I pull the 4ME and take it to have it freshen up and same with the trans and just live with the blah performance.
Love to hear what you all think and suggestions on shops that are in the surrounding states.
Thanks,
Erik

Post subject: Re: MX32 Cressida Engine Conversion
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:13 pm 

i can respect that you know your limitations and you don't want to jump into swapping an engine when you know you'd be in over your head. not everyone has the natural mechanical ability to handle something like this, although if you have enough time and patience, it's not something that would be impossible to learn as you go and do yourself.

i don't know of any shops in your area, but i do know that the 2jz-GE has been installed in the x3 chassis at least a few times. there's at least some knowledge available, and possibly some parts that cater to this specific scenario. check out a couple of the build threads in this section for other users that have completed their swap; Lloyd's is the first that comes to mind.

i think that would be the best all-around choice from an availability and cost/benefit perspective, especially if your main gripes about the 4m come down to reliability, smoothness and economy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:26 pm 

I have built street rods and have done a lot with british cars, but its just lack of a shop to work in anymore and the time. To be honest the 4me has never let me down and out of the 25 years of owning one I have had to do one head gasket. My current one is just tired and the seals are all dried up. It is time to go through the whole engine or get something modern. I guess I could sell it and go with something a bit more common and such, but I would sure miss all the good times and its cool looks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:01 pm 

i have a 4m in the wagon i'm hoping to have pulled soon. it looks cool so i'll probably pressure wash it, drain it and pull the crap off of it, put it back together and build a display stand out of pallet wood. it doesn't belong in the car because:

- it starts like shit if at all.
- it gets horrible mileage.
- it doesn't make enough power to keep up with modern cars.
- it's expensive to keep maintained.

even if i went through the engine at great expense of time and money, none of those issues would be resolved, just slightly improved upon. i'd rather spend that money - or less - and have something i can actually appreciate from the driver seat with the hood closed instead of standing in front of the parked car with the hood open.

but don't let me detract from your enthusiasm in keeping it original, there's no problem with it as long as you can live with the obvious compromises.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:32 pm 

Ha, I get what you mean and yeah I am in front of the car often making adjustments here and there to the engine. Lucky for me I am a little OCD when it comes to my cars and I'm sure it drives those around me nuts. I really do just want to convert it at this point, I just don't want it apart for a long period of time. That is why I'm in search of those that have the time and want some extra money to do it.

Thanks for the replies though and I really get what your saying.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:41 am 

buy 7mge/gte engine... remove head, remove headgasket, replace with stronger metal headgasket.. reassemble. drop into mx32, enjoy.

Mitsubishi Galant 75'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:51 pm 

Does the 7mge require much in the way of engine mounts and trans?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:35 pm 

lolumad wrote:

- it doesn't make enough power to keep up with modern cars.

but don't let me detract from your enthusiasm in keeping it original, there's no problem with it as long as you can live with the obvious compromises.

Hey, I resemble that remark! You haven't lived life if you haven't passed a chain of cars on a two lane road with a 4M...and Toyoglide! Better yet, make it a 2M! :shock:

Kidding aside, 2JZGE's are now so readily available at relatively inexpensive prices (including whole cars). Seems the best route today for a good driver without investing too much.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:41 am 

as far as i'm aware the 7m will bolt up to the stock engine mounts.. unsure on the gearbox mounts as it depends what gearbox you are going to put behind it. 7m's are definitely the cheaper way of doing a engine conversion.. and can still make decent power if you were to go down the turbo route in the long run.

Mitsubishi Galant 75'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:46 am 

i would never recommend using a 7m. i'd stick with the 4m over it any day. especially one that's been cracked open.

i'm not pulling the whole "BHG!" excuse out of my ass, but there's a laundry list of other issues with that engine that make it not worth pursuing. i picked up a whole ls400 donor car last weekend and i've started my swap. no looking back!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:30 pm 

I have to agree with that diagnosis on the 7MGE. Mine has definitely been a bit of a pup. Sensors failing, fuel injection issue, unreliable valve-train and not even that much power. When it is running right it is nice and smooth, but if I were selecting an engine to use in a swap it wouldn't be my choice. I would also hesitate on compromising at this point. If you are going to go to the trouble of swapping an engine I don't see the point in cutting a corner to save a couple hundred bucks. Do it with the best option and then you don't risk wishing you'd done it differently a couple years from now.

As for the 4M hate, mine hasn't broken on me yet!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:22 pm 

I would go with a NA 2J out of a GS300. You can get automatic if you want or put a W58 behind it for some fun.

Check out Xcessive Manufacturing for mounts and such.

Nothing is listed for the X32 but I belive Lloyd Letherman used some X7 stuff on his car.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:14 am 

have you considered a 2rz, plenty to go around, its the new 20r. good power output and easy to mantain.

I have a 2m, and parts for that tired bastard are not available anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:26 am 

each to their own i guess on the 7m subject.. from what i seen with a few tweaks/maintenance while they are out've the car before fitment.. and for how cheap they are to pick up these days they usually are a "decent" budget motor to swap in.. Otherwise just buy a 1jzgte and get some turbo goodness to the ground!

Mitsubishi Galant 75'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:43 am 

i'll put it this way: spending $200 on a 7M that runs for 6 months doesn't make sense when you can spend $500 on a 2jzge that runs for 6 years.

i looked into the rz motors but i never found one that was worth what the seller was asking. would have made a great drivetrain for my purposes though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:57 am 

lolumad wrote:
i'll put it this way: spending $200 on a 7M that runs for 6 months doesn't make sense when you can spend $500 on a 2jzge that runs for 6 years.

i looked into the rz motors but i never found one that was worth what the seller was asking. would have made a great drivetrain for my purposes though.

true. some guys have had them for cheap. but ebay bastardizes everything.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:11 pm 

I have look at that mount site and have been looking at engines as well. I guess like I stated before it is more a time issue for me and wish I could find someone or a shop around here that could do some custom things. I want something that runs good and doesn't take away from the joy of driving the car. Some cars just have had too much power into them and the control is just not there anymore. I am researching all the ideas listed here and thank you again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:45 pm 

I still lean towards an NA 2j. Smooth motor, last forever, simple electronics and still easy to find parts for.

It might be more work than you are looking for but since you brought up the joy of driving; a 1uzfe/w58 swap actually weighs about 25lbs less than a SR20DET w/trans and will get you decent HP all day long.

Food for thought.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:42 pm 

like i said, after waiting for years for the right deal to come along, i found a complete running ls400 donor with title. that's whats going into my x3.

if you're trying to make a daily out of an old car that doesn't run right and time is an issue, you should have the money and skill or at least know someone who does to make up for that.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]