#
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:10 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: KenMeri Love, my 1975 KHGC110 Hardtop Datsun 240K
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:03 am 

G'day all. Thought I'd post my coupe. Yes, I finally managed too find one. But I'll start from the start.

Part 1: The Find

I've been looking for a coupe for a long time. I've even bought one but that adventured turned south when the seller wasn't exactly honest. So no thanks. Anyway, I was invited to a Facebook group of like minded c110 people and loved seeing their cars.

After getting talking to one who was also looking for a c110 coupe we resolved to finding one each.

Well, I got very lucky when out of the blue I was asked, "how bad do you want a coupe?" It was a project car, but it was complete.

Very silly question. Well I was supplied four photos and an email address from this friend. I owe him so much for this.

The price range was a bit much for him but it was something I might be able to reach. This was very last minute. It was going on eBay the next day. He was passing this information to me!

Contact was made, photos seen and then the next day a deposit paid. Just like that.

The only problem was it was located in NSW. I live in Melbourne. It's only a distance of about 1250Km's. You know what that means??

Part 2: The Road Trip

Road trips can be fun. But 2500km's in 37 hours is painful lol. Big thanks to my father for the assist. Dad made a big effort to get the black wagon in top shape and she performed perfectly. We borrowed a trailer off another mate and we were off. 3 AM start and we covered approximately 1240km in 12 hours 45 min. Not bad all at.

Met Glen, the owner and we got talking all things Datsun. The car was a local car sold by a Datsun dealer new in a town called Gunnedah in NSW. A local fella kept it as his daily until upgrading years later. The coupe went to live in the shed. Then the children learnt to drive in her in their early teens. The blue was boring though so the ok was given to customize the paint. After this, the coupe again went to live in the shed until recovered a couple of years ago.

A quick look over. Money exchanged hands. Receipts given. I now had a car. Wheeled her onto the trailer, which took about 15 secs. Then took 1.5hr's to tie her down LOL. Then began the long journey home.

The happy new owner!

Wrapped for the trip home

Got home at 4PM today.

I've got to inventory it all now, work out what needs doing and start organizing for stuff to be chromed, plated etc.

Home at last

The plan is a GTR replica with a 3L with triple webers. Long time from now

I'll keep you posted :)

Post subject: Re: KenMeri Love, my 1975 KHGC110 Hardtop Datsun 240K
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:49 pm 

Can't wait to see the progress. :tu: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:33 pm 

Sweet!!! glad to see another Kenmeri owner!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:12 pm 

Ok I had a couple of hours spare today so I decided to pull everything out of the car and see where I'm at. The car had been packed by the previous owner before I got there, so was wondering if everything had made it.

So out came all the pieces

In terms of the stainless trim, as far as I can tell I'm only missing a drivers side eyebrow and a right angle bit from the back window

Back cards are stuffed but will make excellent patterns

Inside plastic trim is ok, apart from one being snapped in half

Front indicator housing are gone, but the lenses are reasonable

Boxes with random crap like bonnet catch mount, sun visors, seatbelts, rad hoses, etc etc

Headlights are very good. Not cracked. I'll be upgrading from sealed units but ill hold onto these. Door cards aren't too bad, but will be easy to copy like the rear ones

Twin Su's. looks like they're not exactly the right setup but easy fix

And an awesome surprise. Factory AirCon install

There a 5 speed in the boot along with the hilux calipers. I'll need to look up a few things but I think the rest is there

Needs a massive clean, and it's raining so I can't wheel her outside to blow the crap out. There's mud nests from wasps etc on the block and dirt and crap everywhere else

That's all for now. Photos soon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:34 pm 

I'm still checking out if I need to get things before I start the resto. A good thing too as I'm missing some of the stainless trim

Drivers side is ok

The back window is all there. Although it appears I have got a sedan rear section as well :)

Passenger side is also good.

Just missing the front windscreen top section. It turns out I'm also missing a drivers side eyebrow but I've located one of those already from another c110 owner. The rear eyebrows are pretty badly bent so will need some love.

Once I source a top section it'll all come off and go into a box to await being sent for straightening and polishing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:10 am 

Sold my skyline...

The C210 that is.

All to fund the C110 coupe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:02 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Great machine! Soon to be highly sought after too... Neko.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:46 pm 

I've been disassembling my front indicators lately to clean them up. The gaskets are rock hard so I've ordered some more from Japan. The lenses I can use so ill polish those up. The plugs are stuffed so ill cut them off and send the housing off for plating. Blue zinc is closest to factory. Hopefully I can drop these off soon. I'll use some novus plastic polish on the lenses

The stuffed plug. Narva should have something similar

Some more goodies came today as well

2nd hand rear windscreen. Because my coupe didn't come with one. The condition is great!!!
Left it bubble wrapped

Nissan tool kit

NOS breakdown light

Repro badges for the coupe

And some very original books to go along with the car. These came from my C210.

Got some key blanks coming from Thailand, so ill pull the ignition barrel and get keys cut soon.

And I'm chasing a tail light panel that's correct for the GTR look.

I've sourced a drivers side eyebrow so only need the top windscreen piece then ill have it all. That then can be boxed up and sent for polishing

Plenty happening slowly. Stay tuned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:50 am 

great find and good luck

subscribing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:54 am 

Update time...

My key blanks arrived from Thailand

But the top of my ignition barrel is stuffed...so I may have to order a new one.

But i've managed to secure some parts which my coupe was missing. But also more extra goodies. GTR C110's are exclusively are 1973 model cars. But mine is a 1975 which has later model round vents and a different centre console compared to the 1973. So sourcing these parts through YAJ was going to be an expensive prospect...

...until i was contacted by a friend who had decided to part out his 1973 coupe as it had been in a fairly serious accident. These are what i managed to secure for my coupe.

The missing Stainless Steel trim piece across the top of the windscreen. Now i have all the SS Trim for the car.

In here is a Drivers Door glass, only need a front windscreen now

The early square drivers side vent. A little piece is broken out of it but i'll still use it until i can afford another.

The early style glovebox with square vent

And an early Centre Console...complete with Factory Radio and Cassette player !!!!!!

I've been polishing the indicators lenses and they look like they'll work ok. I'll hit them with some clear to keep them from getting worse. I'm still waiting on the gaskets to come from Japan for those too. I'll need to cut the plugs as they've disintergrated and put new ones on. Narva make some so that's sorted. Just have to send the housings away for plating...

...so some progress is happening, although that will slow for christmas.

Good times.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:51 am 

Bought a spare dashboard..

It's special. Those of you in the US would like this one

It's an rare early dash. It has MPH on the inner ring of the speedo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:45 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Great to see another 240K getting built up.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:25 am 

Thanks for the support :wink:

I was at work the during the week and checked Facebook and saw an ad from a mate selling some 240K seats...... Now mine are...a little unhealthy

So I snapped them up. Only about 1000% better! There is some stitching that needs doing but overall they're great, especially compared to what I had!

My son gave them the tick of approval after a brief clean

Also scored another drivers side guard, as mine was pretty much flat :(

And some finned drum brakes

Overall pretty happy, and very unexpected to find those seats. I was not looking forward to paying huge chunks of cash to get them fixed. So a great result

Also Merry Christmas everyone from sunny Australia

Edit: photos aren't working. Apparently my iPhone 5 photos are too big. Apart from resizing them, can I lower the quality on the phone?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:59 am 

In a moment of boredom my dad and I said, "stuff it bet we can get the coupe running!"

Now the car hasn't been run in the nearly 10 years or so the previous owner had it, so I had my doubts. There were masses of custom crap wiring everywhere, dust and debris, not to mention half a mud hornet nest on the block.

So we started by a general tidy up and cut out the crap wiring. Then off came the air filter and checked out what we had. The manifold was held on by only 2 bolts! The exhaust header was in the boot and all the fuel and vac lines had been cut!!! Pretty piss poor effort that.

Borrowing from Wile E Coyote's school of acme engineering we adapted what we could. This wasn't meant to be long term (I'll pull the engine for a full rebuild) but was just a case of can we do it?

Headers went on, now 5 bolts holding it all on. Had to make a fuel line from the pump to carb using the return line. Made an ignition switch from the coil to the battery out of the junk wiring we removed. Made another wire to the starter to jump start that. And borrowed a zed alternator adjustment bracket and put that in instead of the lump of wood holding the belt tension. Couple more little things and we're ready.....now where's that battery?? Didn't come with one, perhaps tomorrow then.

Today we had another go, with battery this time, so we hooked it all up. Pulled the plugs to turn her over on the starter to move the oil around (it was still full). Also checked spark which we definitely had (got zapped, again :roll: )

All seemed good, quick final check. Rigged up a tin can as a fuel tank (tank is out) and this is the result!
http://youtu.be/XpNnMwhhM3c

Helps when you connect a ignition switch to actually flick it on :oops:

Round 2
http://youtu.be/8wxFL5UItQE

All seemed good so far. We've come this far, why not get her really going. In order to do that needed to fill the radiator.. So we pushed her outside since I didn't want to pull the bottom rad hose inside the garage.

Dropped the bottom hose, which still had rusty water, and flushed it out a bit before reconnecting. The battery we were using wasn't that healthy so we had to use the black wagon to jump it but here goes

http://youtu.be/iUdkZKqSMzo

Now needed another hand so I had to put the phone down this time.

http://youtu.be/nNHPvdicauA

Sorry for the crap video.....

Now it's only running headers, with air leaks literally everywhere....but she runs!! Got warm and the thermostat even opened before the tin can emptied. So not a bad exercise in acme engineering.

Got to thank my dad for the assist on this. His old datsun racing trickery coming to the fore on this

That's probably all for this year with the holidays about to kick off. Hope to get some minor bodywork done early on next year and finish my bumper assemblies off.

Merry Christmas and stay safe on the holidays!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:31 pm 

First post back from Christmas...and not too much to report.

But i have finally locked in what sort of build i am going for, engine wise, and I've decided on an RB26DETT running a RB25DET gearbox.

I have to comply with ADR's (Australian Design Rules) in order to get it engineered so I'm going through the process of getting those.

Goal is to have the turbos top mounted and still run Aircon and an IC (should be tight, but managable) in the small gap prior to the radiator.

I'll also try to retain the duel exhaust tips to give it a sleeper look. A GTR replica with the perfomance of...well, a GTR!!

I've also locked in the paint scheme and will post a picture shortly.

In the process of ordering a front windscreen and a few other things like dash badges etc. but things are happening slowly.

Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:50 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Datsun style wrote:
A GTR replica with the perfomance of...well, a GTR!!
Or, better... With new parts these days. Neko.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:57 pm 

http://www.jdmeuro.com/wp-content/uploa ... ype_04.jpg

Here's a link to kinda how I'd like it to look.

I'm thinking either a Lambo orange or a Porsche GT3 RS orange.

Must have black wats and I'll probably carbon wrap the bonnet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:05 pm 

A little bit more inspiration. I'll keep the chrome trim, with the black bonnet, mirrors, flares, wheels and rear wing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:43 am 

Ok so I've slowly dragged my feet this year. Had a lot on at home with the young fella. But I've started to sand back the areas of the body that cause me concern.

It's actually looking quite good so far. Although using an orbital sander because my compressor blew up isn't fun. More dollars to replace that. And delay buying more parts :(

But since I've come to the realisation I want to get my hands dirty and weld up what I need to on this car I decided to get serious with her.

All the interior is out bar the dash and the door glass. This is helping me to find out what will need replacing with new metal. Although it seems the previous owner loves using a rust proof tar a lot. That's going to be bloody annoying.

I've got a GTR fiberglass grill coming along with a few other bits and pieces so hanging out for those

But a massive positive is a company in Sydney are offering to make new rust repair panels for these cars if they can get their hands on a good car. Luckily a good friend has one in Sydney!! Score. So there is a chance that soon I can buy new rust repair sections to weld in, saving me huge headaches, and hours of frustration, poorly attempting to fabricate new ones.

And then my dad sends me these

Now I'm back to square one on colour. The red is amazing.....

That's all for now, just rapt to be doing work on the Kenmeri again

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:29 am 

Great work! :tu:
Nice to see a bit of progress to the project...

Hmmmm... personally I'd go red. But orange would look cool too.
But what ever you do, please leave the carbon-wrap-crap for more modern cars! To me it just looks totally out of place on JNC. Just my 2 cents worth of course... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next