#
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:34 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 7   [ 127 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: '78 TE61 Trueno Sprinter 1600GT - JDM
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:15 am 

WOW! Such a clean interior. What a great find and in a foreign country too! Are you keeping the wheels?
This is such a clean example and I know you will take nice care of it (going off your kind words towards the car). And just like Pseudonym said, this model eluded us here in AUS and I too am jealous.

How far will you go with the restoration? Like engine out and full bay repaint/detail? I know its a lot of work, but man this baby deserves it!

Well done sir.

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:01 am 

Thx again everyone!! :D

silvia_s15 wrote:
Nice ride mate :D , finally I see someone here is in the same location as I am and also sharing a common interest of bimmers but I suspect this is not the right place to share since here is a JDM forum 8)

Where in Hong Kong are you?? We should definitely meet up!
Would love to see you S15 and both your E21's.
I've got mostly 02's sitting back home in Denmark, but I've previously also owned two E21's.

Pseudonym wrote:
That's really nice man, we never had those here in Australia as far as I know, probably a good thing though, means I can't buy one :P

Really like the red over the white tbh, just accentuates the lines a bit and shows off that 2000GT-esque rear quarter a bit more - although the panda look is always a winner.

Any plans to modify it or just tidy up whatever wears down?

I'm really into keeping my classics largely original, so no modifying for this little beauty. In all honesty, it just wouldn't be right to do on such an unmolested and well-cared for car either! - at least in my opinion.
But I will be tweaking a few small details along the way. But all will be period correct though. Basically just tidy up a few things and add the odd little personal touch. :wink:

4doors wrote:
WOW! Such a clean interior. What a great find and in a foreign country too! Are you keeping the wheels?
This is such a clean example and I know you will take nice care of it (going off your kind words towards the car). And just like Pseudonym said, this model eluded us here in AUS and I too am jealous.

How far will you go with the restoration? Like engine out and full bay repaint/detail? I know its a lot of work, but man this baby deserves it!

Well done sir.

Andy

Hey Andy,

Well as I answered to Pseudonym, I'll be keeping the Trueno very original, and she's so clean that it seems insane to start stripping her down. I'm also not really into concours classics as you get to a point where you barely dare drive the car. I'll keep her clean and sweet, but she was made for enjoying the backroads and that's what I intend to do... :P
Though I will of course clean her up a bit including detailing the engine bay. But it'll be done with the engine in situ.
The wheels are eventually going to go as I want her on a fat set of 13's!! 8) It's not first priority though, as I first want to get her lowered an inch or so, and also need to figure out just how wide I can go with out having to roll the arches...??

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:01 am 

YAY!! :D
Look what was in my postbox today.
Just arrived from Japan after I found them on ebay...

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:08 am 

Sorry, going to have to split this post up a bit, as it won't allow me to post this many pics in one go... :(

But don't worry, I'm not going to bore you guys with a pic of every single page... :lol: :lol:
The brochure on the left with the headlight of a red Trueno is from 03/77 and has 28 pages covering first the Liftback and then the Coupe version, and also every trim variant from DX through XL, ST, GS and SR to the GT.

Clearly selling the Liftback on it's practicality, but it still looks very sporting...

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:10 am 

On to the Coupe in that first brochure.

Lovin' this 3 page fold-out of a 1600GT Coupe!!

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:16 am 

The next brochure is from 04/78 and has a full 32 pages, this time starting with the Coupe and then the Liftback all represented in the same 6 different trim levels from DX to GT.
They clearly revised the grill for the '78 model.

Peek-a-boo...

It seems they also added a few new colours for the '78 year.
Just how awesome is that Lime Green on the SR Coupe... 8)

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:19 am 

A variety of cool options to be had. I guess mine having the GT trim level, many off these options would have been standard, however the first owner would have still definately had to pay extra for the "TEN" tape deck and the air con.

Technical specs:

Been drooling over both brochures all evening! :D Some great pics in there. Just wish I knew someone who could translate all that Japanese to English for me...

Best Regards,
Anders.

Post subject: Re: '77 TE61 Trueno Sprinter 1600GT - JDM
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:34 am 

Hmmmm.... come to think of it, regarding that revised grill on the '78 model. Well, seeing as my Trueno has the same grill treatment as the cars in the '77 brochure, I suppose my car was produced in 1977. As the Vehicle Registration Document for my Trueno states 1978 as first year of reg., I just presumed it was produced that year too. Clearly that's not the case. Guess I better go back and edit the subject line of my original post to '77 then... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:12 am 
JNC Enthusiast

:tu: YA great factory pics. and info. :tu:

:tu: I'd like too see another pic. of a coupe with the through glass rear wiper. :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:20 am 

whit wrote:
I'd like too see another pic. of a coupe with the through glass rear wiper. :idea:

Whit, I'd be happy to grab a close-up of the pic in the brochure for you if that helps...??
Never seen a Trueno Coupe (real life or picture) with that feature.

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:46 am 

Went for my first proper drive in the Trueno today! :P
She's been mine for just short of 3 weeks now, but work and family commitments have just been real time consuming... :( Also, I wanted to complete a thorough service before going too far, as she had been sitting for a while. So she's been treated to fresh engine oil with oil filter, gearbox oil, LSD oil and engine coolant. Also a new air filter and fuel filter (which was absolutely filthy!!). 4 new spark plugs, new fan belt and a recharge of the air con. Also fitted a set of rear seat belts, so I can bring my two daughters of 2 and 5 years for a spin around the block with dad... :D

With that all sorted it was a real joy to take her for a blast around some country roads in the northwest part of mainland Hong Kong before heading down to Lantau Island where I live. There's absolutely nil unwanted sounds from the car, she feels tight as a nut, and that sweet little twincam pulls strong and hard with the gears slotting perfectly in while the 2T-GEU soars for the redline!! :tu: Geez does it sound fabulous when it comes on cam at 4000 revs per minute... :twisted: Extremely smile-inducing!

Early tomorrow morning I'm going on the monthly Sunday Morning Drive with Classic Car Club of HK.
Hope they've found some good backroads for us, and it'll be exciting to see what kind of reactions the Trueno will get from the other members...

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:11 pm 

Nice work man, sounds like you're on the right track with it - if you can, be sure to get some vids up at some stage - watching old j tin at full noise on youtube is my guilty pleasure ;P Also some of the classic car guys might know more about the diff if you're having a chat - strangely enough the local toyota guys here weren't familiar with the % term, they just thought stock lsd was full lock under slip :/

I'm always fascinated by the brochures and just how new everything is - I'm ordering some of the advertising stuff from the MK2 to keep me motivated whilst part hunting myself :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:39 pm 

Very kool! Never seen one before...not your typical Toyota front. Have fun!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:05 pm 

Incredible...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:04 am 

:shock: that is a rare bird. First one I ever saw.

Surprised to see they had EFI cars in Japan back in '77.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:00 am 

Thx guys!! :D

Pseudonym wrote:
Nice work man, sounds like you're on the right track with it - if you can, be sure to get some vids up at some stage - watching old j tin at full noise on youtube is my guilty pleasure ;P Also some of the classic car guys might know more about the diff if you're having a chat - strangely enough the local toyota guys here weren't familiar with the % term, they just thought stock lsd was full lock under slip :/

I promise I'll try to get some video done at some point. I've got a few on my classic BMW's on youtube, so I really have no excuse not to add a Trueno vid or two as well...
Geeez... imagine a LSD that went straight to full lock under slip!! That would be virtually UNdrivabe... :shock:
Oh well, I guess it doesn't really matter how much % lock it has. It's got a LSD and it works - that's enough to make me smile,,, :D

S/tank wrote:
:shock: that is a rare bird. First one I ever saw.

Surprised to see they had EFI cars in Japan back in '77.

It's funny you say that, as I too was expecting a set of Mikuni carbs when I first went to see the Trueno.
The Bosch EFi system was a bit of a surprise, but the VIN-plate says "2T-GEU", so I guess that's how it was delivered new.

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:38 pm 

Anyhow, I attended that Sunday Morning Drive with the Classic Car Club of Hong Kong.
Before buying the Trueno, I had tagged along on a few of them as a pax in various cars, and while I always enjoy the various classics that show up, the great roads and the relaxed atmosphere, I must confess that it was only about a million times more fun doing the whole lot from the drivers seat... :D

Around 50 classics showed up early morning and we soon hit the roads going northbound towards Fanling where we'd stop at The Hong Kong Jockey Club for brunch. There was a wide variety of classics though the majority were of European manufacture. But the little Trueno was very well received, and despite this being Asia, a whole lot of people did not have a clue to what it was, and as a result she got a lot of attention. Even owners of much more exotic classics came over to ask questions and admire my JNC. Several commented that it was an unusal choice for a European enthusiast, but I got praised for daring to be different... :wink:

As we headed north on twisty backroads through mountains and jungle I joined up for a spirited drive with this great Celica also running a 2T-G though his was on Mikuni carbs.

Obviously a small Nippon photoshoot was called for as we pulled into the carpark at our destination!! :tu:

The only other J-tin there was a rare 4 door mid-70's Subaru 1600GL sporting a very cool set of period Enkei mags, and an absolutely concours white Datsun 280ZX with a luscious deep red velour interior. Oh yeah, and then some more modern stuff like a MX-5 and even a couple of NSX's.

Anyway, after finishing our brunch and spending a few hours in the car park just chatting cars and admiring each others rides, most people started heading home. But my mate and I weren't done yet, so instead we took the Trueno out on the backroads again and headed further northeast to explore the famous Brides Pool Road that starts at Tai Mei Tuk which is full of small local restaurants from where the road twists and turns along the coast line up through the beautiful and unspoilt Plover Cove Country Park all the way up to the Chinese boarder. The scenery was stunning, the road was an absolute blast the little Trueno made all the right moves and all the right sounds... :D

That's China in the background...

I'm falling more and more in love with this little beast! Especially that lovely 2T-GEU engine is just such a joy. With it's EFi it's so easy to live with when just cruisin' through town, but then it's ohh soo much fun when blasting down a tight winding road. It really wakes up above 4000 rpm, and that classic DOHC music accompanied by the rasp from the 4-branch manifold and stainless steel sports exhaust is super addictive!! Luckily the sleek 5-speed makes an easy task of keeping it on cam all the time.

The front suspension on the Trueno is great, and I actually find the steering more responsive and inspiring than I did on the few 1st gen. Celicas I have driven. However I must confess that the rear end is perhaps a little less impressive. I guess I can't really expect miracles from a live axle, but it's certainly far from as stable as the BMW 2002's that I'm used to. I mean on smooth roads the Trueno is great, but if you hit a couple of bumps mid-corner it does get rather unstable. I found that it helps if you have the confidence to just keep your right foot planted, but it's still and area I'd like to improve a little. Now I've already said that I want to lower the car a little, but I'll definitely also be looking to exchange the current standard oil shock absorbers with some quality gas dampers. Any ideas who produces parts for the Trueno? Would Bilstein do dampers for it? If not, who else...? The search for parts is on...

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:03 am 

Nice car You have there... Very original and rare... :tu: 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:43 pm 

getting the rear end under control is not going to be easy... if I'm not mistaken your TE61 has leaf springs... There just isn't a lot you can do. It might help to try different shocks... AE86 rear shocks might fit... at least they both have a bushed eyelet on the axle end and a threaded rod on the top to fit the body. You also might look into poly mounts for your springs... keep them from moving too much. Not sure if your car is equipped with sway bars or not... I also don't know if there are any suppliers still making parts for your car.... BUT... there is an American sway bar manufacturer who does still show swaybars for the 75-79 models - http://www.addco.net/aftermarket/catalog/toyota/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:00 pm 

Consider joining up on www.rollaclub.com

This is an Australian based forum, and although I doubt there are any TE61's in Australia, I assume (but not certain) the chassis is common with the KE55. There is a wealth of knowledge for this model on there, lots of build threads etc.

You will certainly find out where to obtain polybushes to tighten the rear end up, what rear dampers are available, and sway bar options.

Signature swaybars in Sydney are a continuation of Selby swaybars which have been around for manyyears. Todd Selby runs it now, and will almost certainly have something either off the shelf, or specifications to make whatever you want. He is happy to ship too.

Signature Swaybars
Shock Absorbers, Springs & Suspensions - Nowra, NSW
It's All About Our Custom Sway Bars.

Unit 10/ 34 Quinns Lane, South, Nowra NSW 2541
Phone
(02) 4421 2722

signatureswaybars@bigpond.com

AE86 Levin GT
KE15 Sprinter SL
TE27 Levin

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 7   [ 127 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next