#
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:52 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 99 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1972 DevilZ 240z L28
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:05 pm 

Kennymonster wrote:
Finally have some detailed shots since acquiring the wheels, pics taken on top of a Japanese toge mountaintop in Osaka........ I wish, it's just some hill top park near San Marcos, CA :D

Photo credits to photographer Tim Wong, he's in the southern california region and has a genuine passion for all automobiles. I've known him for a while and would recommend his service to anyone, very flexible scheduling, and reasonable pricing. His blog: timscribbles.com

My s30 is full of cosmetic flaws here and there, relatively dirty engine bay, but it gets driven hard at times and I enjoy it this way.

Few of my favorite shots:

Nice! That's Double Peak Park, pretty close to where I live.... I hiked to the very top of that hill from Barham Dr. and back down again.... that took awhile. :lol:

Your Devil Z looks great! :tu:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:31 pm 

rickgrimes wrote:
Nice! That's Double Peak Park, pretty close to where I live.... I hiked to the very top of that hill from Barham Dr. and back down again.... that took awhile. :lol:

Your Devil Z looks great! :tu:

Thanks much, and you sir are correct on the location! Some beautiful scenery for sure. Tim, who photographed my last set, recently shot an Austin there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:08 pm 

Hmm two months since the last update... I was hoping to make an update post with 3 images about a month ago, first pic showing the cam removal, second pic with new cam install, third pic/vid of me blasting the tires.

It didn't quite end up that way; ran it hard at the last AutoX day on May 11th, pulled the stock cam out on May 12th, dropped it off at Schneider Cams (whom I found out is only ~3 miles from my work place).

Decided to go with their 270/280 .460 regrind on the stock cam, +new springs/retainers. Amazingly, I landed the drop off day just right, they had it done the next day! Pretty fantastic service from Kevin I must say, they also cleared up lot of the cam install misconceptions, which is all over the 240z boards.

Anyways, I excitedly installed the newly ground cam, tried to get the sprocket back on and was 1/8" short... I think my first words were something like "Oh F&*% me sideways"

Basically the hammer grip I used wasn't sufficient as the chain wedge, and I made the infamous rookie mistake of letting the chain tensioner slack on the L28 - those of you know what this means, now the radiator / crank pulley / water pump / oil pump / alternator / timing cover / oil pan is gotta come off. The 2 hour project has turned into a 12 hour job.

Yeah ... oh ****

The $10 tool that could've saved me hours.

My awesomely organized tools, I had this unique system of finding things: Dig until I see it, or swear at myself, repeat.

The good old 'stuffing nylon rope into the cylinders to hold the valves up' trick to install new springs,

Checking base circle wipe patterns

Got everything buttoned up - went for a quick break in drive, my brake pedal hits the floor. Bled it a couple of times and got better, but right away noticed weird motor tone and loss in power, sounded like fuel starvation.

At the last autoX, the power terminal on the fuel pump progressively came loose to a point of completely coming off, but my guess is it toasted itself to death while it was making hundreds of split on/off connections while becoming loose. Luckily I had a POS airtex spare pump, hooked it up and was able to get a good ~3 psi.

The sonofabitch regulator had to be set at '5 psi' marker to reach 3 actual psi however... I did not know that until I actually hooked up a fuel pressure gauge which I should've had forever ago, god knows what kind of fuel pressure I was running before.

I get back in the car, no fluid again in front brake reservoir, big puddle on the passenger rear... looks like it's coming from inside the drum, so it must be the cylinder itself. As it stands, I have not had the chance to try the new fuel pump to see if it'll run ok, until the brakes are done.

New parts should get here in a couple of days, so hopefully I'll be posting up a happy ending update of me abusing the 6500 - 7000 rpm mark by this weekend.

Another jdm old school ride, been sharing my buddy's miata at the autox, man this thing can grip the turns..

Some pics from the MSA show caravan, didn't take a lot of pics at the show, the quality of s30's at the show this year were ... eck. Might skip it next year and just attend JCCS, which never disappoints.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:23 am 

Forgot to include a pic of the put together engine bay with the new fuel pressure gauge:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:13 pm 

Great looking car and great read. I was smiling with pain about that stupid tensioner. I decided to go for the adjustable type. Screw it, that tensioner will never ever happen to me again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:53 pm 

^Thanks bud, your ride looks pretty amazing also. I saw that ITB intake you're fabbing up, can't wait to see it running.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:56 am 

Got the drums serviced, surprisingly it had some meat left on the shoes but there were stress cracks, probably from being just old. I've been hesitant about tearing it apart but it actually makes more sense to me now than calipers lol.

I can lock all 4 wheels now in panic mode, which is pretty sweet vs. just locking the fronts like before.

Also had to re clock the distributor to get the correct ignition timing, once all that was worked out, it ran pretty awesome up top, definitely mid level torque increase and more hp pulling after the 5252 mark. I think I'll have to revisit the jetting issue now since the cam profile changed, shooting for powerband of 2.5k to 6.5k, it'll pull to 7k now though.

What a massive difference compared to when I first bought this thing, on dual SU carbs it promptly choked out of air around 5k and that was it. Now, I have almost 2 grand of powerband that didn't even exist before lol, on the same motor.

Vid of 2nd gear pull: http://youtu.be/s7vzCwSNBps

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:59 pm 

While it was on jack stands, I pulled a 3.9 diff out of the wreck yard for $60; leap of faith on the condition which was unknown, and the fill plug was missing on it.

Compared to the 3.54, it seems to have shifted my powerband 500 - 1000 higher depending on the rpm, love it. Got all the oil leaks fixed and finally made it to an AutoX since my last one in May.

Enjoyed the big course layout, first chance to really stretch its legs with the new cam and diff. Got into 6k+ in 2nd and plenty of 3rd gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QSLisq-JM8

Next to do is maybe lower/stiffer suspension, and a dyno tune.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:50 pm 

Really nice setup you got there- was wondering where you got your car painted. I'm here in California and as you know it can be a headache trying to find a good body shop.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:17 am 

Job well done!! :D
Okay, the wheels are perhaps slightly OTT for my personal taste, but this is still one seriously stunning Z.
Love the butch arches, the Z432 rear spoiler and not least that stunning blue colour... 8)
But even more than that, I loooove that she gets a good beating every now and than, rather than just being pampered in a climate controlled garage. Keep up the good work... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:29 pm 

Aeropooch wrote:
Really nice setup you got there- was wondering where you got your car painted. I'm here in California and as you know it can be a headache trying to find a good body shop.

Thanks! At the time I knew someone who worked at a shop, but could do projects on the side and got a great deal. I understand your dilemma though, for the price of a decent body/paint work, you could probably order a fully built stroker motor!

02Anders wrote:
Job well done!! :D
Okay, the wheels are perhaps slightly OTT for my personal taste, but this is still one seriously stunning Z.
Love the butch arches, the Z432 rear spoiler and not least that stunning blue colour... 8)
But even more than that, I loooove that she gets a good beating every now and than, rather than just being pampered in a climate controlled garage. Keep up the good work... :wink:

Thanks Anders! Still tuning the new cam in there, next race day is this coming weekend so we'll see how she pulls through.

What a fun weekend, I keep saying the same thing but JCCS really is THE event to look forward all year for me. Had a smooth trip with few of the local guys, our Z's made the 250 mile trip without a hiccup. It's a great feeling when all the preparation and late nights pay off with a trouble free road trip.

Few highlights of the event include; being fortunate to get a water front parking with the Z club, despite the odd and dispersed layout for 240z's this year. Another was meeting two older Japanese gentlemen, who were introduced to me as the executives for Mikuni Co., discussing the possibility of reintroducing the 44phh Mikuni Carbs to the market with modern hardware, pretty cool stuff.

I probably met just as many new people as missing them, due to the huge venue and not being able to find everyone. At one point I think JNC's Ben was in my area, of course I was half way across the park.

Surely there will be very thorough media coverage of the entire show coming soon, so I'll just post only handful of my pics here.

Bone stock (I mean really) on the left, my triple carb'd in the middle, David's L28 Turbo on the right, a nice contrast between the three.

Spent a lot of time in the garage sanding down and cutting that newly acquired triangular strut bar.

This Kenmeri was my show favorite:

Hmmm that looks familiar!

Another hit this year, and unanimous show favorite among the crowds, the Yakuza sedan:

Until next time!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:56 pm 

That black sedan is BAD!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:26 pm 

so many of my questions have been answered after reading this thread lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:57 am 

now this is a build, and after reading that story about the Z, it just made it that much more interesting :evil: :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:30 am 

dat blue.

this build has been a good read so far. she looks happy out there in the autox courses. I can't see your face but I am willing to bet that you're smiling too. stumbled across a good deal on CL with a Z so this build is that much more inspiring. Hopefully I can grab it. ((wish me luck!))

Thank you for sharing your car's history!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:57 am 

Man what a beast of a car. Awesome to see the amount of power you unlocked just by going to triples!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:02 pm 

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

The car's turn key again for the time being, getting prepped for running two different autocross events in the coming month, compared to the usual once a month schedule.

Now with a strong running tune (AFR right on 12.5 at 6000 rpm) I'm actually going to borrow my buddy's GoPro this time. I'll finally have decent looking footage uploaded here to give a better idea of the so-enjoyable Qualcomm stadium in San Diego, large enough to hold full 90+sec courses with plenty of elevation changes and off camber turns. My Samsung point and shoot camera may need to retire from race duties...

Quick recap of happenings in the last couple of weeks..

After noticing on the dyno that my stock tach was increasing inaccurate as the rpm's went up, I decided to go with a reliable aftermarket Autometer Sport Comp tach, retro'd into my stock dash. I followed the write up on HybridZ of some guy who did a very clean install... however mine just didn't line up that great, added with lack of patience at 2 am working in a dimly lit garage, it made its way in there eventually to look halfway decent, however the factory plastic lens, is shattered all over the garage floor - don't want to talk about it.

Couldn't be happier with its easy to read needle, and hooked up to the MSD box's tach output, dyno confirmed as very accurate.

The following day was an AutoX, unfortunately I don't have any vid footage but basically this happened:

Car ran great all day, did 8 practice laps very strong and quick, however the first lap of the timed session, I noticed a slight hint of white smoke coming from the shifter boot. By the time it registered into my ocular senses as 'not okay', the entire cabin turned white with thick smoke and my lung was contracting with the spicy scent of smoke inhalation.

I pulled off, ran out the car expecting the worst - but by the time I turned around to observe what was happening, the smoke had dissipated, with slight fuming under the passenger side dash.

Long story short - either my tach wiring job could (or could not have) contributed to burning out the internal voltage regulator in the alternator. No fuses blown, the car was in fully operational state, except without a functioning regulator it would overcharge as seen on the amp gauge, any time slight throttle was given the needle would shoot up. I suspect going WOT for few seconds in that state overloaded the weakest part of the harness, and it melted about 5 inches of wire insulator and tape, turning into smoke.

Since then I have added a proper fuse for the tach power wire, additional grounding points all over the head/block/firewall, and a shiny new 280zx alternator. I'm hoping there won't be a repeat of this incident at the next event, as I'm still 100% not sure if the alternator crapped by itself, or something had caused it.

Certainly one of the 'close calls' I've had thinking the car was about to DevilZ me :D

FinalDrive wrote:
dat blue.

this build has been a good read so far. she looks happy out there in the autox courses. I can't see your face but I am willing to bet that you're smiling too. stumbled across a good deal on CL with a Z so this build is that much more inspiring. Hopefully I can grab it. ((wish me luck!))

Thank you for sharing your car's history!

Be sure to start a thread and keep us posted!

I am indeed smiling inside and out when on the course, it's all about having fun and the raw driving experience of the s30 is truly exhilarating, even when compared to modern cars with double the horses and pretty penny suspension work. All the sweeter when I beat out their lap times with my budget build :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:04 pm 

What a blast from this Saturday, the Z handled a full day of racing without a hiccup, and I defeated a close friend & rival of 2+ years for the first time, by 0.078 of a second. His ride, a hardtop NA Miata on coilovers with grippy tires.

Also first time using a GoPro for the footage, the resolution was set wrong and there was a smudge on the casing making the vid come out blurry lol... but hey, I think those errors made it look like a vintage racing footage :p

This was my 2nd event on the sticky Hankook RS3's, it took some time to adapt myself to its grip characteristics, however well worth it. My best finish yet so far with the BMW CCA, 3rd in non-bmw class, 15th out of 81 cars, competing against mostly high powered modern vehicles and plenty of M3's. There were couple of '73 2002's there, however they did not finish so strong, all the more proud to represent the only J-tin!

The track layout was challenging yet fun, it had four off-slalom sections which was interesting. The last slalom section had some vehicles reaching 75mph+, course was total of 1.2 miles long.

Will be doing another event this coming Saturday, another day, another battle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:40 pm 

sounds great! looks fast too!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:51 pm 

Happy Holidays to everyone! Something to brighten your day I hope, 6500+ rpm L28 on triple carbs, tires skidding, and 74 degrees San Diego weather in December:

*I finally splurged on the new GoPro Hero3+, I highly recommend it and it really does live up to its hype, excellent for any type of automotive recording.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 99 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next