#
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:19 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 50 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: My new DR30 50th Anniversary Edition!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:08 pm 

Hi JNC community!

I want to introduce myself and my recently acquired 1983 Skyline RS-X Turbo DR30, 50th Anniversary Edition. I am usually a BMW guy but I've always loved vintage Japanese cars especially Skylines. Suffice it to say, this is new territory for me. I purchased the car locally after I saw it posted on Craigslist. I have wanted a Hakosuka for a while but once I took a look at the DR30's awesome 80's styling and great original condition, I couldn't let it go.

After bringing it home, I contacted the Prince-Skyline museum in Nagano (helps to have a Japanese wife) and was happy to find out that only 400 of the 50th Anniversary editions were ever made, making it a rare bird, especially here in the US. I'm not sure if there are any other ones in the US so if anyone knows please chime in. Another reason why this car is special to me is that it was imported in 2010 from Fukushima, Japan which was one of the hardest hit areas of the March 2011 tsunami. If it hadn't been imported, it might be at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean right now. It's truly a "survivor".

For now, I don't plan on doing too much to it given it's original condition and whatever I do, it will be easily reversible to go back to stock if needed. I will be ordering lowering springs from Jenesis and maybe some Volk TE37v's in the future. If there is anyone who has Jenesis lowering springs on their ride please post a pic so I can get an idea of the drop. I'm also debating if I should get the side decals.

Looking forward to learning much from the JNC community. On to the pics!

BTW, for the DR30 owners, a couple of dumb questions: 1) Where does this part fit in the trunk? I think it fits around the spare tire but I can't seem to figure out exactly how. 2) Where do the horns live in the engine bay? Mine aren't working for some reason.
Many thanks.

Post subject: Re: My new DR30 50th Anniversary Edition!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:20 am 

that is so awesome/clean!!

i'm going to moving to WA (Everett) with my HR30, we def gotta meet up at some point :tu:

far as the horns go, they are on the right and left sides, kind of down in the bumper, kind of under where the lights are. can;t help on the trunk piece, my car is stripped haha. tho it looks like it goes on the right or left side to cover those massive dips

Last edited by familycar on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:28 am 

for suspension, r31 units will pop right in (tho the brake caliper pcd is larger...100mm) or you can swap in s13 goods. i'm not too keen on the s13 swap as it puts the tie rods at an extreme angle and messes with basically every geometry (IMO...works fine for many). i currently have R31 house X ZEAL coilovers with r32 gts-t brakes. drops right in. if you want to stick with springs the OEM struts have replaceable cartridges iirc. i actually have a set of s13 rsr coilover rears and a practically new set of new kts s13 fulltap rears with some custom made fronts with cusco camber plates if you're interested haha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:39 am 

Hey familycar,
Thanks for the response. I'll probably stick to springs for now to keep things simple. When are you moving to WA? We should definitely meet up since we wouldn't be too far away. It be great to see another classic Skyline in this area.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:11 am 

Very clean. Nice to see more DR's

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:58 pm 

I'll be there by first week of febuary :tu:

my car is the polar opposite of yours haha. i don't think i have anything on the car left unmodified in some way lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:33 pm 

That's cool since you can give me some ideas. It'll be a great contrast between stock and highly modded.

Looking forward to seeing your car in person.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:01 am 

Does anyone know where I can get a front wheel bearing kit for the DR30 in the US or whether one from another car would be compatible? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:23 am 

When I did my front brakes they were 84 300zx parts. So if you pull it and check to a z31

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:36 am 

Nice, you got the one from Ishii. That is one nice dr30. Even the wheel wells were clean. I look forward to seeing it out and about. I have one that hasn't been on the road for a while but come next spring it will be roaring around the Seattle area. Familycar you coming to Washington? We got to have a r30 meet, I'll bring my buddy with a bad r33 vspec full hks build......we're are my ghost factory stickers! Lol.

'85 300ZX
'03 350Z TWIN TURBO
'07 MAZDA 3 HATCH
'09 ACURA RDX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:10 pm 

Thanks DeRux I'll check it out.

Davboy, we should definitely meet up sometime since we are so close to each other. I'm sure you'll see me cruising around at some point. Too bad it's already fall and the car show season is ending. A R30 meet would be great once the weather improves. BTW, do you know if a 16x8 wheel would be too wide to fit on this car? I'm thinking of picking up a set of Volk TE37v's 16x7.5 ET 25 or 16x8 ET 25. Do you know if there is anyone locally who sells these?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:03 pm 

I think that sounds like it would fit. Might depend on the tire size. Just got to test fit. Scroll down and look at the r30's http://www.rs-watanabe.co.jp/index2.htm
There are wheel offset and tire sizes mentioned. I am out of town right now so I don't have much of my r30 info in front of me.

'85 300ZX
'03 350Z TWIN TURBO
'07 MAZDA 3 HATCH
'09 ACURA RDX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:01 pm 

a 16x8 +25 on a 245/45 will fit nicely. i've seen a 17x10 +20 in the rear of a stock body with 275's and be inside the gaurds without crazy camber. a 235 fit a little more room tho. just depends on what you style you really want and how much you want to roll the fender haha...I have 15x11.5 -69 in my rear / 15x8.5 -31 front....oh wow I didn't even notice you were in Seattle davboy! WA is going to be R30 central lol :lol: those stickers are impossible to find man haha. either have to copy them or I have to find their shop. idk anyone that actually knows them :/ I'll ask the guys at flyrat if they do though....def gotta get all the jdm hotness together, make me feel like I'm back in Japan...I'm already emo about leaving haha :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:10 pm 

Thanks guys. I'll probably go for the 16x8's. familycar you are correct about the 245/45 size as this looks spot on when I use the site willtheyfit.com. Can't wait to see how the Volk TE37v's will look on the car. I wonder if anyone has put these on a DR30 before. Looks like Jenesis is having a sale on them. I'll also be ordering a side decal from them as they appear to have them in stock. Also, still looking for the 50th Anniversary badge and I would love to get a new front "S" badge as mine is faded. Anyone know where I can get one? Does Nissan Japan still sell them?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:39 pm 

As you will find yahoo Japan is your good friend, but you also be shied at the prices people will pay for good dr30parts. I have found its kind of a F U figure it out yourself kind of world. Talk to Steve from where your car came from..... I don't know exactly what you chain of events for purchase of your car is. I have a couple of referances for you when I get back into town. But you will find that you will have to put in alot of personal effort to make a car like a r30 awesome. Just my 2 cents others may disagree. On that note I would be happy to let you know the little that I have learned.

'85 300ZX
'03 350Z TWIN TURBO
'07 MAZDA 3 HATCH
'09 ACURA RDX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:03 am 

you can find the hood decals and emblems on auction from time to time. i just scored a NOS pair myself. i've seen a few dr30 with te37v's. looks good for sure. i want a set myself, but i haven;t looked into whether or not i can get them in the crazy offset i need.

davboy is extremely correct, it's almost impossible to find any info on these cars online. you will find stuff here and there, but it's definitely a learn as you go type of deal. it's like the good ol days with this car for me haha, no forum to go on, i just had to figure it out. like today for example...my window control switch panel died on me ( i traced it to a relay hidden on the driver side kick panel)..while searching my fuel pump, radio, clock and etc all died one after the other haha. i had to trace it all...tho easier for me since my car is stripped and carb'd lol

btw...here's exactly what it'll look like lol

some more/more aggressive fit http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/userid/ ... photo.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:35 am 

Love the car...
These guys offer quite a bit of info on the R31.
http://www.r31house.co.jp/

Rory

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:20 am 

Did any one else notice this thing has the auto windshield wiper sensor thing in the top middle of the hood?

'85 300ZX
'03 350Z TWIN TURBO
'07 MAZDA 3 HATCH
'09 ACURA RDX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:05 pm 

Thanks Davboy, I look forward to hearing from you when you are back in town. I knew parts wouldn't be easy to source but we go to Japan every year (my wife is Japanese) so I'm hoping that I'll be able to hunt down what I need during those trips along with help from Steve at Ishii motors. He will be working on the car once all the parts come in. He seems to be a cool cat who runs a solid shop. Fortunately, I won't be doing too much to the car since it is so original.

familycar, that's some aggressive fitment! Those TE37v's look great though. I'm going to get the gunmetal with the polished lip. I know what you mean about the prices on Yahoo auction Japan. I am looking for the 50th Anniversary emblem for the trunk lid and there was an expired posting for one that cost 40000 Yen ($517)! For a little tiny square badge! It must be pretty rare. http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w87692483

BTW, the auto windshield wiper sensor is part of the 50th Anniversary Edition package. I haven't actually tried to see if it actually works yet. Trying to avoid driving in the rain.

Thanks Never Lift (Rory). I enjoyed looking through your awesome Laurel build. Are there many parts that are interchangable between the R30's and R31's?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:02 am 

Good to read you are keeping yours fairly stock, you don't see many R30's that original. After seeing yours I regret more not importing a bone stock one instead of buying one localy in Australia.

The only thing I would do if I were you, would be add the side RS- TURBO stickers, a nismo style strut brace and lower it :wink:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 50 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next