#
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:20 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 1972 PRESERVED 510, not restored
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:17 pm 

This is my 1972 preserved 510. She is 99.5% original as she came off the show room floor. Never modified, never restored. She has around 115k verified miles, 47 first place wins at 47 shows shes been registered at. Im the 2nd owner, the original owner Arthur Hughes passed away last december from cancer :(. He was like family, i kind of considered him as a grandfather figure. He bought her new in 1971 from Brasso Datsun, he went up and down the west coast from Vanc. Bc. to shows, and was a very well known and well loved man in the pnw datsun community. He loved his car, and i love his car..my car...as much as he did, because i want to make him proud and let him always know that his car is being taken care of as he took care of her. I love this car because its my last link to him, and she is knicknamed Art after him. Here is pictures.

Good old Art and Arthur together.

She is one of the most verifiable stock / preserved 510's in the usa / canada. There have been a few lately that have magically popped up with supposebly super low miles, but no history to back them up, or the body, paint, or other details dont match what is said about them, but Art is one that is verified with her history, and has been called by many as one of the most preserved 510's out there. I know of truthfully one other 510 in south califorina i beleive is where the owner is, that is on equal grounds for being preserved like Art is (the dealer owned car in canada doesnt count to me since it seems like the odometer was rolled back since the dash has been opened, and its a dealer owned car thats not been on the road in over 15 years) Some have said she should be in a museum, and maybe someday i will donate her, but for now i love taking her out to shows, and i beleive she should be driven, and enjoyed, as art would of done with her.

Post subject: Re: 1972 PRESERVED 510, not restored
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:18 pm 

15 year ago photos.
ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:53 pm 

I'm not much on all-original cars, but I am glad this car went to someone who will keep it as Art would have. :tu:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:27 pm 

Neither have i been john, but ive known this car since i was 5, one of the first 510's i truly remember growing up, same with art, so this car has always been special to me, and important it stays as art wanted it. Now my other 510 i get to mod like crazy, but it stays old school ;) To many people doing ka and sr swaps its taken the fun out of putting a newer motor in when everyone does it, seems more unique to have a l series under the hood nowadays LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:09 pm 

Truly stunning!! :shock:
Now I on the other hand absolutely loooove unmolested, preserved and original cars. And this just ticks all the boxes!
It's of course even better because the car is actually driven, used and enjoyed on the road as any classic really ought to be. There's not much coolness in having a perfect classic if it only gets pampered in some climate-controlled high-security lock-up and never sees tarmac. :roll:
Love the history too and how your staying true to how Arthur wished to present and enjoy his dear 510. Keep up the good work... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:39 pm 

Thats how i feel. Yes i could trailer it, and put it in a climate controlled shop, but whats the point, shes great as is, i love getting behind her wheel, and just going out for 30 mins around the city to cruise and get looks and thumbs up from everyone. To me the point of having a car, either modified, restored, or the very rare preserved like mine, is to drive it and enjoy it, you get no true fufillment just letting it rot on a trailer, to me those are not show cars, they are just giant babies that if taken on the road for real, will most likely break down, and fall apart because it has not been maintained like i do my cars. Why when i see cars like that win at shows i think pffft, of course its going to win when its not a car, its a freaking center piece on the dinner table. I know 1 510 thats supposebly more preserved than mine, and the red preserved one in califorina, its in canada at a nissan dealership, and has been in their showroom, not started, moved, or anything for 15 years, and has only 18k on it, but my old man even said its a turd and mine is in way better shape, that it just had lower milage...but still i dont consider that 510 in anything, because its a museum piece, all it is. If you tried to take it out on the road now after sitting so many years, it would be nothing but problems left and right because it was not maintained on a regular basis. Most show trailer cars are started for a total of less than 5 minuites their entire trailered life and always kept on a battery tender. I drive mine so much theres no need for a damn tender LOL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:59 pm 

Beautiful! Glad you're taking good care of her!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:14 am 

cool.
Is there a youtube video of the car ?
Also, any itch of doing a tranny swap ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:01 pm 

A tranny swap would take away from the preserved NEVER restored aspect of the car, this thing is popular because not a item has been changed on it, do that may as well throw a sr20 swap, add some huge 20's with camber and burn some nos!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:59 pm 

danfiveten wrote:
A tranny swap would take away from the preserved NEVER restored aspect of the car, this thing is popular because not a item has been changed on it, do that may as well throw a sr20 swap, add some huge 20's with camber and burn some nos!

I couldn't possibly agree more...!

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:59 pm 

Since my original post is gone. Whole heap respeck fa dis Datsun.

'85 300ZX
'03 350Z TWIN TURBO
'07 MAZDA 3 HATCH
'09 ACURA RDX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 am 

Took a crappy youtube vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf2nBUNK62E

Also went to jccs, 16 hour drive, over 1000 miles, for the judges to just walk past me, and 3 other stock 510's, kind of got on mine and the other guys's nerves. Dave with the stock butterscotch 510 told me when i pulled in the judging is very biased, and i just kind of ignored it to find out he was right, seemed the judges only cared about modified cars. I want to say this, people think no work goes into keeping a car stock, but to keep them preserved like mine and a few others out there, requires more work than modifiying. we have to find nos parts if something brakes, which is a complete pain in the ass to do nowadays. We cant change ANYTHING, i cant upgrade anything no matter how much temptation is there. To keep a car preserved as the day it came off the showroom floor, is just as hard, if not harder a job than modding a car, and some attention should be paid to it. Other than that, i had a fun trip, people looked at me as i was going 80 mph down the freeway in what is a stock 72 510, passing newer cars getting thumbs up and some that passed me almost getting in wrecks staring. Love driving this car, i just felt bad on my way back it was raining, and shes not seen rain in 35 years.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:02 pm 

So alots been going on since JCCS.

On my way back from jccs alt went out, so i coasted home on fumes, after that something happened to the carb. It had 2 stripped screws and was pissing fuel out of the bottom. She would run fine when you drive, but if you stopped and idled, she would run bad, rich, and blow smoke, had figured fuel was building up in the manifold and untill it burnt off it would run like crap. So i found a place with rebuilt carbs with good reviews and so far highly recomend them, National Carb, was 220 shipped to my door, and thing looked nearly brand new. We have ice and snow so i cant test drive her, but she idles great, i dont smell fuel anymore, and under load she is fine, so once i get to drive her i will know for sure.

Gotta love a clean engine bay.

Heres the new carb.

New fender chrome Rubber.

New NOS datsun floor mats, found a dealer that had some old stock, and they had these.

You can see the fuel all over bottom of carb.

Some pics at JCCS.

Fast Specialties in Vancouver Wa owned by dick hanna dealerships asked me if they could sponsor my car for the Portland Roadster show to have it entered, i said yes, so i get a free entry into the show which is pretty cool and displayed at their booth, funny a shop that modifies cars wants a stock car displayed. Felt like i was running out of time since show is in a month with having been waiting for the carb. Now i need to road test it when the snow melts, and get her in to get detailed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:13 pm 

Do you cover it up when stored ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:48 pm 

This 510 is just pure and undiluted eye-candy!! :wink:
Very admirable how clean and original you're keeping the ol' girl...
Ha! and those floor mats are just mega-cool. :tu: Good find.

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:40 pm 

So my new carb had issues, bad accel pump, so its in at one of the best datsun mechanics for the week to be repaired, found out my dizzy was going out to. And heres a few random pics of my dads cars and stuff as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:45 pm 

cool. hopefully it gets back up and running.
The ethanol in the gas destroys old car fuel systems !
Run highest octane fuel as it is more oily.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:05 pm 

Yah ethanol is bullshit, theirs a station about 45 mins from me that offers non ethanol fuel, luckily be moing back near there soon.

This was a fresh rebuilt carb, but seems they did the accel pump wrongly so it wasnt squirting fuel correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:59 pm 

Im confused, you say "preserved not restored" but in your youtube video you say it was repainted 20 years ago..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:48 pm 

Parts of her were re-painted due to mild rust repair from canadian roads. Restored usually goes to meaning cars that were modified, or things falling apart in a field that are put back to stock condition, good luck finding a paint job thats 40 years old thats not been re done, the rockers had to be repaired so about 60% of her paint is original, and they had the car clear coated (even though i wish they would not of done that). Even a appraiser of the car said its preserved status even with a full re-paint because paint isnt considered on that type of stuff since its not meant to last. As it was put on the appraisel, shes about 99.5% original, and one of only 5 known preserved 510's left around that have never been modified or changed in any significant way and has all records.

Also got all set up for the Portland Roadster Show.
All set up and displaying at the Portland Roadster Show, one of the few imports there, and getting lots of attention. I love this car, i know how it was for art with all the questions about how original and preserved she is. People just gravitate towards her.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next