#
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Lets talk wings! Specifically C10 "Hakosuka" wings!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:15 am 

Ok guys, been brainstorming trying to figure out some answers that just can't be answered alone. On the 1970-72 Skyline any trim, even GTR is there a factory equipped, Factory installed rear deck spoiler as in oem? I'm having the time of my life trying to track one down. I know it's 40+ old but still with it's popularity and extreme value a guy would think he would stumble across a oem spoiler in the auctions. Now I can find repro ones all day long, well cover that in a minute. But I'd prefer oem because I partially worried about fit of repos. Been talking with a couple of guys, the parts catalogs have been searched and it seems a oem rear spoiler doesn't exsist. One guy from Australia says that even on the GTR the rear deck spoiler and front lower chin spoiler was not oem but was a works race car addition to create downforce. Anyone know if this was true, or E is thinking that it's a Nissan sports option which makes sense to me. But as a Nissan sports option would there be any bowtie markings or indication to prove its authenticity?

I have no problems with buying a reproduced copy as long as there's quality. There are some things I worry about when looking at what I think are repos though. I will included pictures. Hopefully no one minds me borrowing their pictures.

If you look at some of the wings it slightly dips down in the middle towards the trunk like. Which is either a bad repo mold, or how it's mounted on the trunk.

But if you look at these they are really nice and strait all the way across the deck lid.

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated! If you don't like your pics up here just let me know and ill take them down. Thanks everyone!

Post subject: Re: Lets talk wings! Specifically C10 "Hakosuka" wings!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:46 am 

Weird... the pics aren't showing up for me...

Probably my (slow) work connection, not JNC...

For the record, I confirm I searched '71 and '72 parts catalogs and while there was a listed part number for the rear over-fenders of a KPGC10 coupe - there were no added body parts listed in either catalog. That means no chin spoiler, no trunk spoiler, no front over-fenders. Heck there were no over-fenders listed for 4 doors either.

I've seen pictures of genuine rear over-fenders and they do have the Nissan part number labeled inside.

Rubber Soul currently sells two spoilers, one with the "SKYLINE" all caps on the underside for 27000yen, and one without for 23000yen.
Victory50 sells apparently exactly the same rear spoiler with "SKYLINE" all caps for 36000yen - no reason given why it's almost 10000yen more...

Both of the ones WITH the all caps are described as being factory correct repros.

For the cars whose spoilers look like they dip down in the middle - ie spoiler center section actually touches trunk lid - I believe that's a function of them having been mounted too far forward on the trunk lid. All the pics I've collected off the net over the years show a relatively set back spoiler with a clear gap between it and the trunk lid.

As Jeff mentioned above, I believe that the rear spoiler was solely a Nissan Sports Option - which presumably could be optionally dealer installed for a street registered car if the owner chose to have that done. I've found dealer sales brochure pictures showing street GT-Rs WITH the rear wing - thus the opinion that it was dealer installed.

-e

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:10 am 

It might be my posting them too, photobucket is terrible off the iPhone. I'm thinking ill more then likely just get the R+S replica with caps (SKYLINE) and hope for the best. Since I have your mounting template holes it should mount the same with the "gap."

I can't remember where I read it but I think it someone's build thread they mounted there wing to where the top of the lift in the wing was parallel with the ending edge of the trunk. Maybe that makes the wing sit on the curve of the lid alittle making the wing dip back. As to when the wing is mounted maybe more forward when it doesn't dip back and it looks to dip down into the lid.

Like I was telling Eric, maybe I'm just paranoid and there some goofy photo illusions playing tricks on my eyes. But I just want to be sure and get a good wing the first time since it is kind of spendy and timely to obtain the parts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:15 am 

In case Fatlace does not come to San Leandro vintageautosalon on Saturday, is someone on here intimately familiar with that car?
In pics of that car it looks like the rear spoiler touches the trunk lid / dips down in the middle...

Can someone say for sure if that's an optical illusion or not?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:32 pm 

Pretty interesting.

Mine doesn't look like it dips down but it is definitely a low quality reproduction.
There are cracks forming along the outside leading edges from the previous owner pulling/pushing on the wing to close the trunk.

I'll probably go wingless and hang it on my wall eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:03 pm 

Could you show pics of said cracks Princeton?

So yours does not say SKYLINE in all caps on the downward facing surface?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:36 pm 

I have been looking at the two wings from the photos and the base where they mount is different. So in think one style sags and the other goes straight. Maybe some one else can look. The way the mounts blend into the wing also look different.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:55 am 

OEM rear spoilers for the KPG deteriorate naturally over the years, first of all sagging and then cracking. There are plenty of copies, and copies of copies of copies out there, so unless you know exactly what you are looking at it's hard to come to a definitive conclusion. Much better to go back to the source:

Correct part number for the OEM KPG rear spoiler was 99930-7102P, and it was supplied as a Nissan 'Sports Option' part to be fitted by dealers or private indivduals / companies. Nissan homologated it for use on their race cars by submitting an 'amendment' ( read: Evolution ) to the original T-161 JAF homologation. See scan below.

Nissan also provided a 'Race & Rally' preparation manual for the KPG, and this shows details of the correct mounting positions for the rear spoiler. See scan below.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:31 am 

That's a awesome piece of literature. The consensus is correct Eric was correct from the beginning! The KPG wing was a Nissan sports item, very cool in it's own right! That race/rally prep also shows that the wing is mounted with it sort of leaning back. So when it's mounted forward on the trunk, it might not lean back causing it to lean more forward closing the gap on the trunk kid itself!

I'm gonna order the R+S version of the spoiler with engraved "SKYLINE" I will also use Eric's mounting template. I will report on wing quality!

Thank you guys for all your help!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:08 am 

Alan to the rescue, as usual!!

Thanks Alan!

:D

That's a pretty awesome side view drawing with side exhaust btw... lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:36 am 

Solid post Allen/HS30-H!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:56 pm 
JNC Fanatic

ericbauer wrote:
For the cars whose spoilers look like they dip down in the middle - ie spoiler center section actually touches trunk lid - I believe that's a function of them having been mounted too far forward on the trunk lid.

How FAR back do you want them to be?

If you look at the white Skyline in the 2nd pic... the spoiler is mounted as far back as you CAN go, and the middle is still touching the trunk. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:04 pm 

KresSlyda180 wrote:
ericbauer wrote:
For the cars whose spoilers look like they dip down in the middle - ie spoiler center section actually touches trunk lid - I believe that's a function of them having been mounted too far forward on the trunk lid.

How FAR back do you want them to be?

If you look at the white Skyline in the 2nd pic... the spoiler is mounted as far back as you CAN go, and the middle is still touching the trunk. :lol:

the two pics of the white car are of the same car - look at the license plate.
you can see in the first 3/4 pic how far forward the wing actually sits...

wasn't able to take any dimensions of that car since it did not come out to vintage auto salon in san leandro on saturday

-e

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:03 pm 

Jeff

I found this:

And this:

And this:

All from this priceless webpage - actually the whole site (not just this specific page) is chock full of good stuff:
http://vital.sakura.ne.jp/NISSAN%20SKYLINE%20KGC10%20HP/TEIGEN/a%20goal.html

If my understanding is correct of what he's been able to uncover, then slight bend with NO skyline all caps was originally on sedans & straight with all caps was originally on coupe... still a bit hard to decipher though...

-e

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:16 am 

Don't know if it's still wanted but I've got some more pictures on the Hako wings.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:11 pm 

Years ago I went to Saitama to the now gone company called Atomic. They made fiberglass parts and the owner claimed that they supplied MANY OEMS with parts used for racing. You know... the flares for Celicas used in boso cars etc. They also claimed to make the Hakosuka parts for Nissan. The story is that the real Hako spoilers used a mold that had 7 parts because the base of the mount flared out like this one.

The fakes are made with 2 piece mold and the base is straight like this pic. I have one of the fakes thats not even for a Hako to use on my Corona. (length shorter...) Story is that its a hell of a lot easier to make with 2 piece instead of a complicated 7 piece mold.

I would believe the story of this guy from Atomic. He was a real old timer and he pulled out many hand drawn papers similar to those that is shown in this post. The catalog of drawings and images he had were all from the days back then.

If looking for a authentic rear spoiler and wanting to believe my story, I would search for a rear spoiler that has a flared out base.

have fun!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:34 am 

Very interesting - probably right on the money too!
Thanks for sharing!

-e

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:26 am 

Thanks for sharing guys. I really wanted to install this on my 4dr not sure how cool or uncool would it look :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:58 am 

Hi docaam

you're looking for pics of sedans with the coupe rear wing?
did i understand you correctly?

here you go:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:27 am 

Thanks for the pics was asking more on what people think as in planning for both lip and spoiler along with fender flares yes cutting the surf line (ouch)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next