#
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:09 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 9 of 10   [ 194 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Building my rx3 and housing it..
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:17 am 

Oh lord yes!

Looking great mate :tu:

2 x N360 restoration projects

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:34 am 

Nice work with the vents... :mrgreen:
I don't have a spare bonnet to practise on like you, now I can follow your pictorial when the time comes to do mine.
It is so hard to find any info,measurements or rear bonnet pics.
I totally forgot to ask Mr. Restoremaz as he had them on his purple coupe years ago :oops:
All the photo's floating around show them ontop, never the underside...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:47 am 

Thanks again for the helpful pics and positive comments fellas.

Update: More pics of the bonnet vent mounts from the last update. I drilled the holes as measured last weekend and added double sided tape to the underside of the vents, a dab of grease on the fresh drilled holes to stop rust and large panel washers underneath. All mounted up and then wrapped and packed away for the future.

8) happy with the fitted finished product. Next was the stone guard chrome bezels on the sill panel and rear doors. forgot to take finished pics.

Then I turned my attention to the interior, namely the dash and wiring. First off was the ecu wiring loom, I ran the engine related wires through the firewall and the speedo cable in. More on this in future updates

I started with the blanking panel I made for the console as I do not have the storage compartment. as I was fitting it up I noticed it looked the same size as the AUS spec dash and that the Rotary Engine fascia badge might fit, a quick measure and it fitted up nicely. Will need to do some slight adjusting to get everything straight, old plastic parts are always slightly warped :?

Then fitted the centre console face plate that has my Autometer Fuel, temp, and volts gauges already mounted and wired up.

I then turned to the gauge cluster, monster tacho and boost gauge.

Using a nice stainless hose clamp fed through the gauge mounts so I do not have to damage my steering column cover. It took a fair bit of fiddling. I tried a few different angles and shift light locations and in the end decided to mount everything recessed into the dash as much as possible. this meant moving the shift light to a lower position it looked strange at first but has grown on me and wont obstruct the steering wheel rim or my fingers.

Stoked on how my cockpit is looking so far. Next is finishing wiring the eco into the car, adding the relays and then I will start the engine bay connections.

In other works on the weekend I added all the bailey channel rubbers, outer weather seal rubbers the windows now wind smoothly although a bit tight as the seals need to bed in. I have now got the windows wound up to stop dust and give the rubbers time to settle. Hope to get the windscreen fitted in the near future.

Thanks for reading :tu: 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:42 pm 

Update: Its amazing what you can accomplish on a day off! :lol:

First up a shot of the bling installed last weekend and mentioned last update.

I have continued running Ecu wiring and a few other bits like Vac lines and the start of the fuel system. Also added some fresh silicon tubing and clamps. Pile of goodies...

Love that orange plenum popping against the blue!

Had fresh oil cooler lines made to suit.. very happy with the result. Black Aeroflow fittings and black braid to give a more factory look. Custom made parts are becoming the norm for this build 8)

Front of the block fitting to change the size to suit -10 of the PWR oil cooler
Rear of the block

All in and done, fits and connected in around 10 mins. Love when a plan comes together!

Just a quick update for today. Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:22 am 

Update:

Recent progress has been on the wiring, I've been trying to get it done. It takes some good concentration and planning.... flash back to my sparky days! I hope to have the main core of it done in the next week. I now have the relays in and the majority of solder joins done. The tricky part is connector plugs in the engine bay that's the final part. For now its the internal and main connections under the dash then onto the battery relocation cables and engine bay looms.

Cant wait to put my rims on and have the old beast back on its feet, front guards on and nose cone this is still a while off though! Guard mirrors, love them or hate them are one thing I cant wait to have on. While living in Japan I really got a love for them and work fine when installed correctly. They follow the JDM style I am going for. If my car was an original RX3 it would be as the factory delivered it, but a converted 808 wagon with a mix of Savanna and Rx3 parts can polarise enthusiasts. I just remindmyself the car is for me that's all that matters. The important thing to me is quality of workmanship on the modified parts and execution.

Did some more hose connections and silicon tube for the filter pod. Should have my front struts/ coil-over and strut tops back ready to install for the final time soon. Also my diff is now in getting cut n shut and refurbished with new parts and Kaaz 2 way LSD centre. the running gear will be plenty strong enough for my intended use of a sunday cruise, hill climb and maybe a car open day event at a local track.

Front seats are a real source of frustration for me.. what type to go for.. original rx3 which I have but lack support in corners... Recaro recliners or some other type of retro style bucket seat that suits the JDM mod style of my car that I'm going for. Suggestions? Just nothing with fixed back or harness holes that's not my style.

Finally have concrete starting in the next few weeks which will mean some further progress in the yard and shed, I have installed some wall mounted up/down lights on the rendered poles of the pergola. We had a plumber in the replace our storage hot water system which blocked the walkway out of the pergola area for a instantaneous gas type and install new rear taps for the hose out side the pergola.

more pics next update

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:35 am 

Fender mirrors for sure! Absolutely love them! What about old school style Recaro seats - the ones with the mesh head rests :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:49 am 

jdmrx2 wrote:
Fender mirrors for sure! Absolutely love them! What about old school style Recaro seats - the ones with the mesh head rests :D

hahaha that is one set I really like. Just very expensive. Mesh headrests rock! I have a seat of Alfa style recaros with mesh headrests on, but the seat base is too wide for the seat belt retractor on the pillar in the wagon, I'd have to find the Gtv/evo/Surf style ones. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:57 am 

Coming along good stuff 8)

I picked up some of those oil hose the other week it looks the part. I swapped the stainless for the nylon. Thinking of gold ends but.

I like your its how you want it and that's the best part

Can't go past Recaro's

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:01 am 

How about having your recaro seats retrimmed in 70s original style vinyl. I've seen a few cars done, interior will match period theme much better.

A thought at least.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:08 pm 

gypsy wrote:
How about having your recaro seats retrimmed in 70s original style vinyl. I've seen a few cars done, interior will match period theme much better.

A thought at least.

Yes absolutely agree with you John, no matter the seat I choose it will be trimmed to match the original interior in colour and material. I realised I didn't mention that in my update. The seats in Buzz3n's coupe are more like what I'm after.. The low back no headrest looks really cool and I could always stick the mesh headrests in to change the style from time to time. :tu:

Ontrack wrote:
Coming along good stuff 8)

I picked up some of those oil hose the other week it looks the part. I swapped the stainless for the nylon. Thinking of gold ends but.

I like your its how you want it and that's the best part

Can't go past Recaro's

Thanks for the positive comments! The black braid and fittings looks good, I almost considered changing more of the hoses.
It's all to easy to get swept up in the current trend for cars. But in the end it's for you the owner to enjoy. Although I don't agree with candy paint huge rims and camel interiors!! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:55 am 

Update:

Wiring pics to go with the last update. The relay set for ECU main power supplies to Fuel, Ignition and Injectors mounted on a small length of angle alloy that fits up under the dash on the passenger side

I will print up some labels on the Dymo labeller at work this week. Picked up a fuse block also to enable me to complete the wiring.

Hunted for appropriate radiator hoses to fit top and bottom. Took a couple goes but found some with the bend I needed. After cutting them down I started to fit them up. Bottom first.

I had a pair of blue anodized alloy hose clamp covers in my spares box, decided to paint them satin black for the top radiator hose to neaten it up. I didn't have any for the lower hose, and it is all but hidden by the air filter inlet tube.
Again something from my spares box, a nice 3" mandrel stainless bend fit perfectly.
Had to add a reducer silicon hose to mate it to the front of the turbo with two new pressure clamps.

Happy with the fit, although I might need a support bracket once I mount the pod filter that I am yet to acquire. The stainless bend could do with a good polish or maybe even just a coat of satin black to keep the bling to a minimum.

Cheers JNCer's

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:32 am 

Re updating the thread: shit happens, I still rate this forum highly.

ok less talk more pics.. so I will roll out the pics
started doing the hidden wiring
cut and join the best way to keep the ends in original look and plugs but add length to the loom to re run it under the front guards

more to come!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:34 am 

More catch up pics...
engine bay looking tidier and more complete
the engine loom all covered in corri conduit to tidy up
love my little wags all uncovered and shiny
prepping for windscreen install edges protective taped
put stainless screws in as holders for the windscreen chrome clips
windscreen in
chrome strips installed
adaptor fitting for heater hose connection
installed in lower radiator hose
trial fitting badges decisions decisions!!
just loving the wags at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:50 am 

Shed and yard progress in recent weeks.

shed slabs plastic down and steel done

poured

more to come...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:51 am 

yard update continued... onto the prep for the pergola concrete slab and driveway into the shed, strip drain

another small drain around the side of the house where new concrete ends

angle flashing along the fence to create a lip for the concrete so it doesn't spill into the neighbours yard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:57 am 

cut some bullnose pavers ready for install

had a small step down in the sloped driveway so I had to do some work to make it neater

hollowed out the underside of the paver to hide the step

trial fit...once I am finished you will barely notice it

installed the pillar light fittings, stainless steel up/down LED's

spring is here again!

pergola concrete is about to happen.. prep work and termite protection happens tomorrow and concrete truck and pump truck booked for Saturday!!! so freakin excited, back after the weekend 8)

thanks for reading

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:17 am 

Hi beans,

I asked you a while ago for the fender mirror measurements for rx3 and you put them up for me but i seems to not be there like it was deleted or something?

can you please post up again for me.
Cheers mate... confused :) ??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:22 am 

I looked for an update today... Computer say's...No :|

Here are the quick measurements again.

There's a kind of lip or ridge on the front of the guard that you can't see in those pics, it's what creates the small gap between the guard & nose cone. The tape is measuring from that point.

Also the bracket which sits under the guard helps alot with the positioning of holes. Any more info/help required I can post more pics.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:09 pm 

Thank you very much, Have saved to my computer now. weird that it disappeared. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:29 am 

Update. recent works..
roll out the pics - final prep for concrete mesh in

the pour looks black when fresh but dried a nice charcoal.
very happy with the result!
with a rebate for the bullnose paver
sat one in for the pic

stained timber for the final part of the decking to be built

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 9 of 10   [ 194 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next