Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Hub Caps or Dress rims?
Poll ended at Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:48 am
Hub Caps 27%  27%  [ 9 ]
Dress rims, original bolt and centre caps 73%  73%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 33
 Post subject: Re: Rx3 Sedan build
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:52 pm 

Thanks. Yes jap spec caps are cool. I had a Savanna spec dash but sold it at the beginning of the year just after I bought the car.

Spent the night making the gearbox cross member and fiddling with some bolts. Getting there.
Also doing the fuel system, my original car was a 72 and the tank breather was a couple of loops under the parcel shelf. Couldn’t work out the check value but got it sorted, it was blocked with dried dirt. Does anyone know where this screws too?

Does anyone know where this screws too?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:02 pm 

Graham, the only country in the world outside of Japan where you'll find weirdo parts like those hubcaps would be the Republic of Queensland :wink:

Ontrack, the way you are going I'll be dropping off my cars for you to finish. The car looks impressive. I've got a question for you regarding after market NA manifolds and OMP injection points. On my IDA manifold I have 2 brass fittings typically ~0.5mm in diameter (tiny). Are the manifold (IDA Weber in this case) OMP points suppose to behave similar to a fuel jet ? 0.5mm seems awfully small, if you hold the manifold up the light you can just just see light shining through. I'm guessing the oil pressure that is regulated by the OMP (to the manifold) is enough to spray a fine oil mist into the intake. When I look at the inner diameter of the factory nylon lines they are tiny as well. What do you think ?

I will let you know if my sedan has that setup in the coming days, I don't recall seeing it. It's a late 72 model, all the vent lines are still their as per factory setup.

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:14 am 

Yep, that there looks bloody excellent.

What a top little ride, and getting done in great time also. Ready for summer no worries 8)

Regards Kurt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:47 am 

From what I remember the pump doesn’t pump much oil at all, a couple of mls every 5 mins at low revs. It’s not a mist just a dribble so a small hole would be better. I use to cut off the ones on the carby and araldite them in. If that helps
I don’t know about Summer I have only 9 days till the end of the month and that’s the plan.
If you can let me know where is bolt to would be good but I don’t think it will matter to much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:37 am 

Hi Guys anyone know what the measurement it from the shaft centre to the top of the tunnel or even the top of the box to the tunnel as per pic.

Doesn't have to be spot on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:07 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

gypsy wrote:
Ontrack, the way you are going I'll be dropping off my cars for you to finish. The car looks impressive. I've got a question for you regarding after market NA manifolds and OMP injection points. On my IDA manifold I have 2 brass fittings typically ~0.5mm in diameter (tiny). Are the manifold (IDA Weber in this case) OMP points suppose to behave similar to a fuel jet ? 0.5mm seems awfully small, if you hold the manifold up the light you can just just see light shining through. I'm guessing the oil pressure that is regulated by the OMP (to the manifold) is enough to spray a fine oil mist into the intake. When I look at the inner diameter of the factory nylon lines they are tiny as well. What do you think ?

John - the aftermarket manifold I used with my 12a had no oil injection ports. Jed and I mounted them (ie drill/tap) on the blank sections that had been cast into the manifold specifically for the ports. We then bent the original OMP rod to suit the Weber, ran the oil feed hoses to the manifold and off to the dyno. It worked fine and the motor is still going strong in Ian Mavric's RX-7 today.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:03 am 

Thanks, I understand that, my manifold already has oil injection fittings, my question was more around the size and whether they operate like fuel jets. According to Rohan the oil just dribbles through. I'll cover it next update when I look at it again....

I'll try and get the gearbox measurement over the weekend if I finish work early enough...

Also my car doesn't appear to have that vent thing in your earlier post. I checked around the fuel tank vent lines and around the boot. Unless it's fitted behind the tank then my car doesn't have one. What makes you think it belongs on the sedan ?

Did you find a fuel pump bracket, photo ?

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:02 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Ah ok. Yes sorry I didn't read that well. Yes, it does just dribble through. I watched the oil flow through the clear part of the lines and it is just a small mount that drops down into the intake, even at WOT.

The check valve is different between cars; I think on 1300 it mounts to the expansion tank. Make sure you mount it facing the right way!

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:29 pm 

Had a look in the manual. At 2000 rpm for 6 min should be 2.2 cc. So I would still think smallest hole would deliver the oil better. Also recommends Or 100:1 premix.

Got a bracket from Dom

Breather setup might be from latter model with vapour tank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:22 pm 

I think 100:1 is a little too much unless you are going to do track days.
I'm running 200:1 in my 13B secondary bridge with RB manifold and Edelbrock 650.

When I was originally trial fitting:

All done.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:21 am 

Nice setup, those recommendations where from the factory manual

Well it's past the end off the month

FAIL

I will have to pull my finger out this weekend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:17 pm 

Car looks fantastic. Love the colour, my R100 is the same colour :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:23 am 

Car looks amazing mate love it!

I'm a fan of hubby's but not on silver cars. I think there just ends up being too much silver/chrome going on and dress rims with the charcoal grey centers ties the whole car together ;)

Keep up the good work mate, great build

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:21 am 

Got a bit done blasted the diff housing and redid the leaf springs. Put 4.44 LSD in just need to do the axle bearings and machine the ends down for the LSD. Found a few hand brake cables to pick from. U bolts have been sent to plate.
Added bumpers

Need to do the MAZDA boot badge. need to work out the hole placement first

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:31 am 

:shock: WOW.. that trim around the grille is immaculate.. well played :tu:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:58 pm 

Dave Restoremaz gets the props for those front trims, something well worth the money. The front and rear of the car very tidy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:02 am 

Ok,
Lost some pages but a bit more has happened
New glass rubbers are tight, so need to hold the glass in some better way thinking Sika flex.
Tall shaft done
Stainless trims on one side of the car
Wiring nearly finished just got a problem with the water spray bottle only
Dash should be back next week

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:08 pm 

Should there be a heat shield or something else here ?

Reason I ask, will the exhaust melt the handbrake cable ? Also the fuel tank vent is directly above the exhaust !

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:30 pm 

Yes, I don't have it. I was going to sleeve the cable with heat proof hosing.

I moved the tank breather to the passengers rear quarter drain hole. Didn't like the breather near the exhaust.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:08 pm 

I also see you have part of the heat shielding in that area. I'm pretty sure I don't have those particular ones for my coupe, I'll have to take a look under my sedan when I get time and see what's there. Just what I need, more rare parts to find. SavannaGT has a complete set but I'm not prepared to pay the 500ono, I generally find him pretty reasonable for a lot of things though.

I think it must be the one on the far right.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mazda-RX3-AP ... 490&_uhb=1

I've been in contact with an exhaust shop, I might see if they have some generic heat shielding gauze that I can use in the short term when I get back. If my sedan has one I might make a replica for the coupe, seems simple enough. I have a spot welder which makes things easier.... also needs repair mind you :roll:

OnlineProfile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 9   [ 173 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next