#
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:43 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 75 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: RA65 Coupé
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:19 pm 

That's a bummer. I was hoping to maybe see the car at the All Japanese day at Banyo on the 16th. If you are out that way I will be there with my GZ20.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:27 am 

Yup, I'll still be out there, but I just won't be able to bring either car out, unfortunately. I'll keep an eye out. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:54 pm 

Hope you didn't miss the show like I did. Despite all the events calendars showing it on the 16th it was actually held last Sunday :evil: I have 4 sites that I have marked to keep track of events and they all got it wrong :?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:15 am 

Yeah, I made it out. For some reason, I knew it was on the 9th but it didn't click when you posted the 16th that it was wrong. Bah!

Had a bit of a wet morning, but it cleared up by about 10-10:30 so it turned out alright. Numbers were probably down a bit from previous years, but it was still a good turnout. I think someone told me ~250 in total. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:46 am 

Got a delivery of 22R parts this morning, so now I just need to pick up a few more little odds and ends and finish up with the Mira then start tearing this apart.

A wild (read: mild) camshaft appeared!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:55 pm 

good stuff man! can't wait to see you get into getting this rig sorted.

Mitsubishi Galant 75'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:53 pm 

Not much to report. I've been busy or away for the last month or so, so not much has really happened. I managed to fix both of the rear seat belts though, as the tilt locking mechanisms were both stuck and not letting the belts release.

I did, however, have this delivered this morning.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:11 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:17 am 

Just about ready to pull the motor out, once i can borrow a crane. I'm contemplating removing the cold idle circuit since all the hoses are in pretty bad shape to reuse and to tidy the bay a little more. Don't suppose anyone has experience in doing so?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:53 am 

Got it out, so now comes the teardown,

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:25 am 

Damage report

Timing chain guides were well and truly stuffed. Most of the passenger side (driver's side for you yanks) guide was in the sump and the other side was broken in half. Surprisingly enough, the chain itself was actually within the limits of stretch. The timing case is pretty well cactus with a notable amount of corrosion through the coolant galleries - most notably a hole in the neck - as well as two rather deep gouges from the timing chain and the oil pump mounting face being scored from the pump picking up some foreign body. Pulled the pistons and rods out, which revealed a very light gouge in the #2 rod journal and some light scoring on the rearward side of the #2 cylinder. Measured the end gaps on the two compression rings on #2 out of curiosity to get a 0.95mm top ring gap and a 0.40mm second ring gap. The top ring is about 0.5mm more than the maximum service limit and the second ring is only just within service limits. The coolant galleries in the block have quite a bit of crap caked down the bottom and the drain plug was redundant as there is a heap of caked up sludge which has formed it's own watertight seal. The sump is also dented badly enough to warrant replacing. The oil pickup is still good, but will benefit from a good clean to purge any crap it may have picked up.

The cylinder head seems to be in reasonable shape as it looks as though it was reconditioned or replaced with a fresh head at some point, though I am a little dubious about the threads on #4 spark plug hole. Rockers and rocker arms seem to be in pretty good condition, which is ideal. One of the camshaft caps was missing one of the little locating pin/dowels for some odd reason.

So the plan is to order some new 0.5mm oversize pistons and rings, a new oil pump and sump, as well as a bunch of odds and ends, including some locating dowels for the timing case and the camshaft cap in the head. I'll wait until I get the pieces to the machine shop to get some feedback on whether or not I'll need to worry about undersized bearings. I'll also be getting all the nuts/bolts and all the various brackets and mounts that I pulled off gold zinc plated for that factory fresh finish. I'm also planning on getting the valve cover vent welded shut and a -6 AN fitting welded where the PCV mounts.

That's about it for now. More to come over the next couple of weeks. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:17 am 

Short recap since the forum crashed: I got brackets and bolts gold zinc plated and took the engine parts in to the machine shop, ordered the last lot of bits for it and was waiting for them to arrive.

I've since received my box of goodies and have taken the new pistons down to the shop and should have the lot back later this week. Nothing much else has happened, aside from replacing the low pressure side power steering lines and installing a new clutch master and slave.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:47 am 

Got the motor back this morning.

I started to get some stuff sorted today though. Pressure washed the valve cover and intake manifold to clear out all the residue from bead blasting and prep for painting. I trimmed all the casting dags off around the lip of the valve cover as well, so it doesn't look all jaggy under the paint. I haven't gotten as far as getting paint on the manifold, but I did get the valve cover sorted at least.

Bam! It'll get the usual treatment with the lettering sanded back to bare alloy.

I did a little bit of work on the head as well. It came partially assembled from the shop, so all the valves, springs and retainers were already installed. I dropped my new cam in and spent half an hour re-assembling the rocker towers, shafts and arms, which pretty much completes the head, other than bolting a couple of block off plates on later.

I'll start cleaning up the block tomorrow to get it ready for paint. Then the assembly can commence. Only thing I've got to do is file the top rings a little, as the pistons I'm using recommend a slightly larger end gap than factory specs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:19 am 

Cleaned up the block and gave it a fresh lick of black, so I sat the head on so I could admire the majesty of the 22R.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:45 am 

very nice indeed....

since the camshaft has coated lobes... set clearances for now, run it in, check clearances after initial break-in, and once again @ 500, or 1000 mile oil change. Adjust as needed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:49 am 

Yup. That's the plan.

I've gotta put the bottom end together first anyway, haha. I just dummied the head on the block so I could admire my work thus far. :P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:55 pm 

When you are putting the rocker assy back on the engine and tightening down the head bolts, make sure to check the positioning of the rocker arms!!

Some first timers on the 22R will tighten down the head bolts with the rocker arms out of place - this causes valvetrain damage. You don't want to do this!

Apologies if you already know - maybe it will help the next guy...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:39 pm 

I buttoned up the head yesterday. When I took the rocker assembly apart to clean and re-lube it, I laid all the rockers, springs, spacers and towers in order so it went back together in the correct order. Nothing looked to be out of place when I put it back on the head as well, so I guess I got it right, haha. I've turned the motor around a few times by hand now and nothing looks or feels amiss, so I think I'm good.

Thanks for the tip though! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:09 am 

Main point (from memory) is that the rockers are on the tops of the valve stems when tightening down the head bolts.

If they are not, they can push the valves sideways when the head bolts are tightened.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:54 pm 

ImageImageImage

Pretty much done. Just gotta get the crane back, fit the flywheel and clutch and torque up the crank and cam bolts and drop it back in once I get those rack bushes eventually.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 75 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next