First time to wrench on her. First time I actually got to see her nooks and crannies. First time to see what I was up against.
It was raining for the last 3 days so when the sun decided to take little peek I jumped the opportunity and got some wrench time with my new toy.
But first a pic of the day I got her home and surprised my son by picking him up at school with what (Hopefully) would be his someday.
It was a very hot day that Monday, but my kid didn't mind jumping in the car. And all I heard the whole trip was in the "what does this do?" category.
Now on to Thursday.
First order of business was a proper tune up, the car was hesitating a lot and was obviously down on power.
So I bought new spark plugs and high tension wires and tried to source out a carb rebuild kit for the 12R but to no avail (its getting really hard to own/maintain/restore a JNC here in the Phillipines). So just settled with a carb cleaner and hoped it works.
Took out the old plugs and what do I see.
Of course fouled plugs...
Then installed the new hi-tension wires.
And yes, I know its still a mess. Frankly I'm scared of wiring's and electronic stuff so I would probably get a professional to take care of the "nest".
And then I got a visitor.
Again, sorry for the crappy pics, a cellphones all I got.
Next, I dismantled the carb and low and behold the PO used the wrong parts, the float needle was (I think) from a Toyota 4k engine, it was too long and was getting stuck in the open position flooding the float bowl. So primary objective tomorrow on Monday is to find a repair kit for the carb. Also looks like the PO tried to save gas as the jets were not stock.
Next, on to the chassis.
It was generally good with a few rust spots here and there. The main areas of concern for me was the left side of were the bumper was connected to the front of the chassis, and the lower part of the rear right door which was collecting water every time it rained. The car was left outside for a couple of months so imagine what I felt when my finger was able to poke through the inside frame of the door, I feel the door is un-salvagable. So looking for a new door is in the list.
Found a hole in the right C-pillar.
Ghetto repaired it by putting some electrical tape on it.
The trunk seems to be fine.
Found a few rust holes, plan is to have it welded then pour some rust converter and spray paint it with truck bedliner.
This needs to be replaced.
Luckily I found a guy selling a NOS of this for an RT130. Hopefully that would fit mine and no one snatches it before I do.
Oh what did your previous owner do to you.
Breaks my heart everytime, who would use epoxy to fix a tail light?.
Proof this wasn't a well thought out thing.
Rear right side. 4 finger gap.
Left rear side, 1 finger gap.
This is also bugging me,
As you can see in the left side of the picture, the rear left wheel was welded (and quite poorly at that) I'm not sure if its repairable, I'm currently on the fence on having it fixed or finding some steelies and painting them flat black like what me and my dad always did.
I'm currently undecided because these wheels have some sick offsets.
Speaking of lists, here's the quick list of what I need/want to do before I get here registered.
1: Find some new springs front and back, I have a few leads but if those don't pan out plan is to find some slip on coil overs that would fit. Temporary fix is to install coil lifters to at least even out the stance.
2: Find the elusive 12R repair kit.
3: Get the A/C working.
4: Find a decent car cover, the car is parked under a roof but the "roof" is a very leaky one. I cringe everytime it rains.
1: Get the car to a chassis guy.
2: Plan is to keep the 12R engine, so getting it overhauled top to bottom is on the list.
Thanks for looking.