#
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:33 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: MX32 Cressida in Edmonton, Alberta
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:05 pm 

Thanks for the warning, but the setup is just new coil springs and shocks in the back. Only the fronts are actually coilovers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:45 pm 

This just arrived for me in the mail today. a few other items still to come

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:23 pm 

Ok, so the weather here has been crazy lately, but after a pretty big dump of snow 10 or so days ago it is suddenly warm enough to start doing some mucking around. Still can't do much, about a foot of snow left to melt before I can get the car off the blocks and roll her out for the spring. But, I had an itch to scratch so I tackled some little jobs today. In preparation for new wheels I painted the rear drums today, just black, nothing fancy. I also noticed that the rubber stone guard in the rear wells has dried out completely and if flaking off in large chunks. I picked up a couple cans of spray to re-do the lining, but I can't do that until it gets warmer. The weather forecast is for 7-10 degrees all week (44-50 for Fahrenheit) so I might have to pull it into the garage and turn on the furnace if I get impatient.

Other than that I saw that my splash guard was starting to get pretty rusty and the paint was flaking off pretty badly. I know it's not a hugely major part, but you only get one, so I figured I should clean it up.

Sanding the rough stuff on the inside wasn't too bad, I just wanted to get the flaky stuff off to prep it for chassis paint. The side that faces the road, however, have me way more than I bargained for to get it ready for paint. I turned it over and my sandpaper kept getting gummed up by oily crud that had been splashed up off the road. The whole thing was covered in sticky grime. So, I hit it with Easy-Off heavy duty oven degreaser. This stuff is pretty corrosive, I wouldn't recommend anyone use it without gloves and then only on non-cosmetic metal like this stuff. It even took off a lot of the damaged paint for me! It also turned the grime a nice brown which made it super visible.

After a few times over with that (and about an hour later) and straightening the fins which had been damaged, it came out looking like this:

And then paint. I used a chassis paint rated to 200F since it's so close to the engine.

Not a huge job, no one will even see it, but those things are a pain in the rear if they start to get rusted out so I'm glad to know it'll be fine for a long time.

On a side note I also tracked these original dealership brochures down on eBay, pretty cool to flip through and read how these cars were advertised. For example, the Cressida Wagon is promoted up by a 60 somethings couple who talk about how spacious the back is for their antique collecting hobby.

And with that an itch has been scratched. I haven't been able to do anything but keep the snow off the car since October.

Post subject: Re: MX32 Cressida in Alberta
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:08 pm 

Ok, now on to wheel choice. I have been fighting with this choice for a couple of months now and I have gone from something like a Rota RB, to something more like the Rota Shakotan, and now I've got it narrowed down to something with fewer spokes. I'm looking right now at either a set of Work Equip 01's which are super nice and very expensive, or the Enkei Apache II in black since I think having some black in the wheel looks great on brown cars. The other bonus is that the Enkei costs less than half than the Work wheel. Any opinions? I have never actually bought a set of aftermarket wheels before, I'm pretty new to this whole process.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:41 pm 

just look for something second hand.... wheels are really only worth what people are willing to pay. personally the shaoktans are really nice for knock offs; it probably is better to lower the car first to see how wide a wheel you can fit.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18604&p=158903#p158903

mx32 2jz swap in progress

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:11 pm 

Hello everyone, been a while since I updated this. Not too much to report right now unfortunately. I pulled some hubs out of an 83 celica at the local scrap yard along with the caliper brackets and dust shields to use on a new set of T3's which I was all set to order until my money had to go elsewhere in maintenance. I bought new calipers pads and rotors though so we're getting closer.

In terms of maintenance I had a pretty bad transmission output shaft leak and a badly leaking transmission pan gasket and really dirty fluid. New fluid and both gaskets changed. I also had to get the coolant flushed since it was super old. Oil change, cap and rotor, new plug wires, new air filter and today I washed it and ATTEMPTED to change the plugs in the 4M, but ran into some issues. Anyone have any idea how to get at the plug in cylinder 1 behind the air pump?? I can't even get my socket past the mounting bolt for the air pump. Do I have to take that nut off?

And how she sits after her first wash and wax of the year. More work to come, including those coilovers, hopefully by the end of the summer. Until then I'm loving driving it like it is. Still wondering whether to get the body work done this winter. There isn't much rust, but I don't want it to get away on me. I was quoted about $3500 to get the body show quality. All the small-ish dings it has add up.

Credit to Buzzbomber for the idea on the custom plate

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:55 am 

if you arent driving it in salt why do the body work? it looks clean as hell

i dailied mine all winter, now we didnt get any snow but i picked up a dd i will just patch what is bad and it wont see bad weather

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18604&p=158903#p158903

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:57 am 

also did u try using a few extensions? i always use extensions on plugs and i never have an issue. the 4me has the PS in the way of number one cylinder but i still managed fine.

btw if you ever wanna mess around with efi or anything i am parting out my 4me

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:09 pm 

The car is covered in dings and small dents which don't show up in the photos, likely from things constantly being bumped into with things in the previous owner's garage. There is also a fair amount of rust on the front passenger fender along the bottom which you can sort of see in that shot. Each of the wheel wells also has rust on each lower edge of the trim. All in all it's doing really well for the year, but it certainly isn't as clean as I would eventually like it to be. You can see it more with a full sized picture, but that just makes message boards hell to navigate.

As for the extensions I tried using knuckles and everything, but the problem is that the socket itself can't actually make the angle to get down there, even without the post attached I can get it down there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:13 pm 

Well, it's been a while since an update on this car. The plan has become more of a spring-time project since I'm parking this car for the winter in a matter of about 4-6 weeks, the snow will be here soon. However, I have able to take care of one problem with the interior which was bugging me. The previous owner had carved the hell out of the console to fit a CD player in the old coin tray spot and it looked awful. Not only that it had been re-installed incorrectly and wasn't fitting right and was missing some screws. There was also damage from something melting the plastic. The console/armrest was also squeaking and rattling because someone had leaned on it too hard and blown out the side of that console piece.

I was at the local scrap yard when I came across something I never thought I'd see again (and haven't seen in three years): an MX32 Cressida. Not only that, it had the same colour interior. I still can't believe my luck.

So I was able to go from this:

To this:

You'll notice a NOS 8-track player which I also installed, which SHOULD be functional once I get a grounding wire to connect the original radio to the 8-track. The original radio also still works, but I need an antenna for it. So, I have a quiet, clean, matching interior with a touch of retro flair. I couldn't be happier. The colour is slightly off from the dash, which bothered me a little bit at first until I realized the original glove box door is off too. Now they just balance out? Works for me. The CD player is now in the glove box, with the wires run through the hole which was originally for the glove box light, which I simply removed since it was burnt out anyway.

I'm going back to the yard tomorrow to hopefully get ALL the lenses off that car since all the corners and tails were in perfect condition.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:23 am 

Wow, what a lucky find at the yard! New bits look great.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:48 pm 

Alright, it's been a long time since I updated this thread. Cash stayed tight as I was waiting to hear back on some applications to law school, which didn't pan out, and I did a road trip to Chicago which meant fixing my 350,000 mile Volvo so it would make the trip and spare my Cressy the mileage. So, all I've been able to do this summer is finish up some maintenance items. I've decided to try and keep this one as clean and original as I can and find another car to work with as a project. To that end I went and looked at a 1984 MX63, but had to walk away. Unfortunately, while the body was in pretty good shape the motor was completely thrashed, and I would have needed it to be a driver for a little while if it was going to work out. With the 1978, I had a seal at the back of the engine under the cam cover start leaking really badly at the end of last year, had the pinion seal redone and a few other miscellaneous items. Other that I've just been driving it and trying to improve how it looks. I found a couple products to try and help with the paint. The first one is a scratch kit by 3M. My car has original paint, and it is really showing some age. The previous owner kept it in a garage which must not have had much room because it's covered in dings and scratches.

It was a pretty involved process, but not too bad and the results were pretty good.

The only issue with it is that it's basically a localized cut and polish, which my whole car needs, so now I have a couple pockets of paint that looks really really good compared to the rest of it..

I also bought one of those Meguire's power waxing tools which attaches to your drill and acts like a cheaper power polisher. Used some Meguire's paste wax with it and I think the results speak for themselves. Car looks great.

And then go figure the weather has been awful ever since and I haven't been able to get it out of the garage for some proper photos since I polished it up. Coming soon I hope, everything in here is still from a phone camera except for this post.

But, with all that, the car is still covered in spots where the paint has been chipped off to the primer and it's starting to bug me. Does anyone know of a good source for touch up paint for these old Toyotas whose colour is close enough to not stand out just as badly as the primer? Long term I want to have the paint redone completely, but that's likely a another couple years away.

Edit: removed the first picture. No clue why imageshack resized all of them but that one.

Last edited by stefman454 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:00 am 

just do this.

Mitsubishi Galant 75'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:13 am 

Quote:
I've decided to try and keep this one as clean and original as I can and find another car to work with as a project.

Cool to see someone go full bore with a 4ME, but a car with 54,000 miles isn't the best candidate for that treatment in my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:20 pm 

Gormzz wrote:
just do this.

Yeah, but that's kinda like polishing a turd :wink:

All show, no go......aka RICE...( Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:27 am 

much as i hate to agree, there's a time and a place for retaining a crappy engine vs. updating to something unilaterally better.

i think that if you're going for a cruiser that you don't really care about economy, reliability, ease of maintenance or any other logical factor, going all out on an older engine is acceptable. in the case above, it's almost exceptional. i'd have gone with a different radiator hose option, mounted the coils in a different location, done 3x 2bbl webers and generally avoided chrome a little more than he did, but you probably can't argue that it's a nice looking engine bay. i bet it sounds badass even if it only makes an extra 30hp for the thousands (USD) he's got into it.

buuuut... i like to drive my cars a lot. i couldn't deal with the expense and additional effort keeping the engine running perfect and looking up to that standard if i was putting 15k miles on it every year and driving it in all weather conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 am 

Totally agree with you, that's why since I'm keeping the car and 4M original I'm going to be looking for a second car, one that I can toy around with and drive daily. Keep the Cressida for weekend cruising and probably throw it on antique plates. Making the car anything more than that would mean major work and messing with a complete, all original car for really no reason.

No feedback for touch up paint sources?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:18 am 

Yeah i only posted the picture for inspiration as he said he was keeping the original motor etc.. would be sweet for something like that as not many older toyota m series engines get the upgrades like other brands from that era do. But yeah personally i'm saving the headache and eventually going to a newer engine for reliability lol.

Mitsubishi Galant 75'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:53 am 

And the second car question has been answered. Just a bought a 1987 Supra. 5spd with a Targa top. Details to follow.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:06 am 

most of the time you can take the color code to any auto paint place and see what they have in stock. search the internet for stock, i sometimes see touch up pens on ebay.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next