#
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:10 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 1974 Datsun Laurel C130 200L "Butaketsu"- Euro Spec (LHD)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:26 pm 

I found this car while looking for a Datsun 240K for almost a year with no success. After seeing the Laurel for sale in one of the German car classified ads, I decided to contact the owner. After three months of email conversation and a lot of frustration, I finally decided to bring her home and hopefully give her the restoration that she deserves. The main focus right now is to pass the German inspection and register the car. Parts are hard to get hold off here in Europe but there are some good guys out there willing to help and give me information on where I can find parts or providing the part number to cross reference to other Datsun cars. The biggest issue right now is the windshield. It took me about 3 months to find a new windshield since the current one is cracked on the passenger side. I will keep the G20 twin hitachi carb engine for now instead of replacing it with a L-series engine :D It's an automatic but who cares....when was the last time you have seen one like it and let alone a LHD.

The car was originally from Switzerland and then was brought to Netherlands then to it's current home in Germany. The car will need full restoration. Here is the picture the day that I trailered her home:

The first thing I did, is take a bunch of pictures and figure out the car. I never owned a Datsun and let a lone a G20 engine which is a Prince crossflow designed engine. Luckily, the the last owner have the service manual for the C130 series and the G18/G20 engines (in english version). The only manual that I am missing is the most important one--parts manual with all the part number so I can reference it to other Datsun/Nissan parts. It took me more than a week, searching in the internet, just to find the correct oil filter! I finally have the original Nissan oil filter part number which I was able to cross reference to other brands. I am still looking for the correct part number for the air filter. The paint is obviously not original and there are a lot of rust spots and paint bubbles (more rust)!

I'll post engine and interior pictures later. After, the windshield issue, new set of wheels and tires. I also found a local guy who might be able to custom make a twin exhaust (round) like the original one. I am thinking of maybe using twice pipe but it might be too loud. It seems that some of the Datsun 240K/Skyline (Ken and Mary) parts are interchangeable. For suspension, I am going with the TechnoToyTuning suspension for the Skyline.

Post subject: Re: 1974 Datsun Laurel C130 200L "Butaketsu"- Euro Spec (LHD
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:27 pm 

Reserve for interior shots.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:28 pm 

Reserve for suspension information.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:29 pm 

Reserve for engine information (Prince G20 series engine - twin hitachi carb and crossflow design)
For those who are interested on seeing what a G20 engine looks like.

and here are the motivational engine shots. If you have any information about the header or recognize any other aftermarket parts and you know the manufacturer, please PM me.

Last edited by Yayoi on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:27 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

These low on a set of period barrels are just the coolest car!
Mucho envy!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:28 am 

I think I've got those same wheels for my C210 Skyline.

Anyhow these cars are so nice, and they have the nick name 'Pig's Butt' i think. Too bad it isnt the 6 cylinder model, i know on skylines they had shorter fronts for the 4 banger models. Maybe you can shoehorn an L series in.

Keeping the Prince G engine in would be pretty cool because well you don't see any!

Best of luck to you mate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:03 am 

just beatiful!!
good luck with the car and the restoration.
i did not forget you for checking out parts!!
will email you soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:35 pm 

Every time I see some lucky bum get a C130 Laurel it makes me jealous. Glad it's in the hands of an enthusiast though. Enjoy & looking forward to seeing more progress.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:41 am 

Hi, mate!

Nice yo see some pics of your car. I was actually in contact with the previous owner. I considered buying it, but you was first ;)

I've updated my thread with fresh pics. Take a look for inspiration!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:27 pm 

Thanks Kaos! So you were the other person the owner was talking about :) I'm glad the owner had a lot of patience on me.

I'm glad you didn't buy this car because this would have been a parts car compared to yours.

kaos wrote:
Hi, mate!

Nice yo see some pics of your car. I was actually in contact with the previous owner. I considered buying it, but you was first ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:52 pm 

Doom - Yes, the car is also known as "Pig's butt - Butaketsu". L series Rebello Racing engine will be nice or maybe an RB w/ITBs.

Stev - Thanks! I look forward to your email.

xlr8r - It will be a slow restoration project.

Kaos - your car is an inspiration...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:03 am 

I would never use it as a parts car, it's way to rare for that.

Does your car need a lot of work? It looks descent in the pictures..

Yayoi wrote:
Thanks Kaos! So you were the other person the owner was talking about :) I'm glad the owner had a lot of patience on me.

I'm glad you didn't buy this car because this would have been a parts car compared to yours.

kaos wrote:
Hi, mate!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:56 pm 

Yayoi wrote:
The only manual that I am missing is the most important one--parts manual with all the part number so I can reference it to other Datsun/Nissan parts.

Contact me direct and I will e-mail you a copy of the Japanese market C130-series factory parts manual, which I have in PDF form.

It won't have the Euro-specific and LHD parts in it, but it's probably better than nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:17 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

They're such a good looking car. Nice buy.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:22 am 

Yayoi wrote:
I am still looking for the correct part number for the air filter.

16546-E6810 according to this:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:04 pm 

HS30-H - amazing! Thank you for sending the parts manual. Now the fun begins.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:40 pm 

So yesterday I decided find the clunking sound when I turn the car to the right. Also, when I turn the steering left to right there is a play and I hear a thump sound. I have to check the steering box gear and the coupler. I will also add grease on the ball joint and see if that fixes one of the problem. I see that there is a nipple on both sides and it's recommended to grease them every 6000 miles. I doubt this happened so hopefully it's not too late!

I also found that there is a possibility to adjust the steering box "carefully": http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki ... Adjustment but I am getting some mix opinion so I have to read more about it.

As bonus, while planning of doing the steering check, one of the fuel line pop out and there was gas dripping on the rear part of the carb. Luckily, I peaked from underneath and saw the problem so I immediately turn the engine off. I was really low on fuel and I think the pressure pop out one of the fuel line connection. I am so lucky that the engine wasn't hot enough so it didn't catch fire!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:30 pm 

Quite often on early Datsun and Nissan vehicles the front end components dispense with Zerk fittings and use a filler plug [especially on the ball joints] instead in order to get clearance to the rest of the wheel and brake parts. If you see a flat hex head "bolt head" on any of your suspension parts it may be a "remove and temporarly install a Zerk fitting to allow lubrication" point. Sometimes [sometimes] you can install a 90degree zerk fitting and still get required clearance. Don't throw away the filler "bolt" until you are really sure you do have clearance!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am 

Yes, it uses the Zerk fitting only on the front lower ball joint. I have to look around and find those flat hex head. I'll check the manual too and see if I can find the info. Thanks.

MikeRL411 wrote:
Quite often on early Datsun and Nissan vehicles the front end components dispense with Zerk fittings and use a filler plug [especially on the ball joints] instead in order to get clearance to the rest of the wheel and brake parts. If you see a flat hex head "bolt head" on any of your suspension parts it may be a "remove and temporarly install a Zerk fitting to allow lubrication" point. Sometimes [sometimes] you can install a 90degree zerk fitting and still get required clearance. Don't throw away the filler "bolt" until you are really sure you do have clearance!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:28 pm 

Cool car!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next