#
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Taylor's RT83 Corona Sedan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:34 pm 

I picked up this car from the original owner(s) a few days ago, it hasn't been driven much since about '76 according to them. Door tag says June '70.
I had been wanting a Japanese sedan from this era for around a year and a half, and actually found this by chance, 15 miles from my house.

Step 1 is going to be getting some wheels/tires under it so I can roll it around. Then i need to make the passenger's side doors shut right.

Sadly, the 18r-u (swapped by original owner in high school) under the hood is locked up, so I'll have to figure out which engine to go with before I get to drive this baby.

This is the engine I'd love to use, but it may be cost prohibitive, it needs to be gone through and I have no clue what the transplant itself would cost as far as wiring it in and plumbing it properly. The dream would be this motor turbo'd out to around 300rwhp, but an N/A 200hp would be more than enough to make this little car fly.

3RZ-FE

Post subject: Re: Taylor's RT83 Corona Sedan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:14 pm 

Picked up a set of Enkei 92's to use as rollers, I might run these for a while once it gets going, I think they suit the car pretty well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:50 am 

Those E92's look much better than the ones on the left. Have fun with the project. Best way to start is to just jump in there and get your hands dirty.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:22 pm 

An hour and a half out in the heat and I managed to get one of the rear drums off, I knew it would be a PITA, but the design of the backing plate made it worse than I could've imagined. went to start on the other one and one of the screws started to strip out, gave me an excuse to stop, I'll have to get a new Impact Driver before I can continue.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:26 am 

Got the other drum off in like 2 minutes, glad it went smooth. Also stripped out the interior, I like that only like 10 bolts held in basically everything, I stripped out my 97 4Runner's interior last winter and had about 200 bolts that I had to remember where they went!

Trying to straighten out the bumpers again after taking the stupid tow hitch off the back, these bumpers are bent all to hell and have been smashed a couple times each it looks like.

Already found brake parts locally, and am going to check out an '81 22R with a Weber manifold and maybe a 20R head this weekend. Having trouble finding a Celica W58, but they pop up every once in a while on CL.

Anyone happen to know where I can find some new front turn signals, and the rear side marker lights?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:15 am 

I picked up the 22R, and a few extras.

- 22r with wrist pin knock, having it gone through by an expert who has been doing it since they came out.
- Weber 22r Manifold
- Weber carb
-Stock 20 and 22R Carbs
-20R Head with stock intake
- what looks like 2 adapters for stock carb to weber
- 20r Valve Cover (way better looking than 22R.)

Guy had a literal Toyota boneyard in his garage, parts from Tacomas, Pickups, a 77 Corolla, and a 1st gen supra everywhere. He's working on a 2RZ into a carbed pickup right now, so I may keep in touch to see how it goes. But I'm thinking a 3RZ with a holley 4 bbl would be pretty cool in the future.

Might do the 22R/20R hybrid, might not, who knows at this point.

Plan for cosmetics is set in stone basically though. I'm going to paint the block a more nuetral color, a black or gray, possibly just clear, try to get some parts like the valve cover matched up to the wheels pretty good, and throw maybe an orange on the logos and accents.

I'm wanting to fully paint the engine bay the lime green the original owner did on the rest of the car (still ugly cream yellow now), and shave as much as I can, make it really, really clean under the hood. Kind of like a 50's rat rod, I'll probably run no hood until I can figure out how to "fake patina" it to match.

Building this and my 4runner is draining my wallet pretty quick.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:47 am 

Finally have my 97 4Runner far enough along that I think it's about time to give the 'Rona some attention.

After a lot of thinking about what to do with the rear suspension, at this point it's the only thing holding me back, I'm undecided about what's best, I want to get it low, at least 5 inches lower, I know that it will involve tubbing across the rear based on how it sits now, but that will have to be done, I want coilovers, maybe a trailing arm set-up or parallel 4 link, I just have zero experience with unibody, so it will be a learning experience either way.

I heavily considered an independent rear, in fact I actually picked up an IRS out of a Datsun 240Z, and after a good look at it, it looks like it isn't possible without way too much work and test and tuning for me.

The front I'm still unsure about, I may end up having to have a set of A-Arms made to fix possible Camber issues, the coilovers should be simple enough, supposedly late 60's GM muscle cars (I.E. Camaro, Firebird, Nova, El camino) used the same exact shock, so it could be as simple as dropping in the coilovers and hoping to get enough drop.

I'm unsure about steering as well, a rack and pinion may be possible, but i'll hold my tongue till the motor's in.

The plan for the engine is still the same, 22/20R Hybrid, very mild build, maybe a little cam or something, Weber 32/36 (maybe dual side-draft 40's in the future...) Celica W58 trans, the centerforce clutch i got when I was buying the motor ended up not fitting the 4Runner, so it'll go in the car.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]