#
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:14 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Sidedraft woes..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:04 pm 

If i keep the sidedraft intake an run a 48 dcoe, am I leaving power on the table by not going ida?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:07 pm 

A 48 dcoe is over kill anyway. You would need to choke it way down so no need for a carb that big. ITB's are great but the set up is $$$

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:34 pm 

The 180 degree is the problem , if you want to make more low end use a spacer between the carb and intake manifold on a down draft . Or buy a piston motor if you want low end power . A rotary is a rotary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:22 am 

I'm not looking for low-end, I drive this car for fun and it regularly sees redline.. it needs to make its power from5-7 or 8k rpms, so IDA is the way! Unfortunately it will be a little while, my daily driver decided to break down and suck up a bunch of my project money..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:29 pm 

If you build a setup to have torque, it will have torque.

If you build a setup for top-end power, it will have top-end power.

Sure the engine has different drive characteristics than piston engines. Whether it has more low end or high end depends entirely on how its configured.

I just smile and shrug when people pull out the 6 ports on a 13b, put a super short intake and swap the EFI for carb then go off about how "these engines" dont have any low end. It's like swapping gears out for a fixie on a road bike, then saying "road bikes suck at climbing hills". Well yeah because you took all the gears off.

In terms of redline - sure it may see it regularly, but think of all the RPM's you have to go through to get there. Now, if you shift at 8-9k and it drop to the next gear around 5500-6500, sure building for all-top-end makes sense. Personally, I do a lot of daily driving and freeway driving. I see the 1k-6k range about 75-90% of the time, so I build around that.

Not trying to pick fights or point fingers, I'm just sayin.

And that said - yes fix the hesitation from 5-7k. Whats your ignition setup? I have a Dellorto 48dhla - will be tuning it in this weekend. I'm also noticing some serious hesitation around 5500 to 7k, but mostly in 1st and 2nd gears. I'm thinking timing, as the rest of the setup is running hella rich so i dont think it would be lack of fuel.

I just hooked up the vacuum advance and it made a WORLD of difference, SO much better and more driveable low-end. How much of the rats nest do you still have? Even if you dont have the check valves for the vacuum advance, a direct manifold pressure or ported pressure off the intake / carb would still work.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:55 pm 

The shop that built my exhaust changed the timing from vacuum to mechanical advance, so I guess it is just a matter of getting it adjusted correctly.. You make a good point about tuning for practical street-driving, I have now picked up a 48 ida and manifold, so now I can try both setups and see what I like best, it's probably only a matter of a couple hours to swap the setups, then remembering how each likes to be tuned. We'll see what happens, either way I am excited to learn something new!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:00 pm 

IDA music to my ears , I hope you enjoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:10 pm 

Got the IDA running smooth, perfected the timing and mixture, now the car rips.. quite pleased :) 5500 to 7500 rpm the thing just rolls out, and below that it's relatively behaved for around town traffic, and most importantly it feels great on the backroads.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2