#
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:36 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Nostalgic Subie/ so close yet so far
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:00 pm 

Hey everyone,
I found one of the cleanest nostalgic Subarus I have ever seen in person, and its right down the street from me. I really want to purchase the car but I'm afraid its not for sale (even though its been sitting in the same spot for years now), and theres a creepy scarecrow dude on the front porch; which leads me to believe he... or she doesnt want to be bothered.
So how do I go about breaking the ice and building up enough ping pongs to knock on the door? And what do I say when they answer?!

Freaking out :shock:

Post subject: Re: Nostalgic Subie/ so close yet so far
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:34 am 

I've been dealing with something close to this. 1975 Subaru Leone coupe sitting behind a thrift store a few towns over. I've been trying for a year to buy it but the owner has vanished and no one at the store can get ahold of him. Anyway, here's what I do.

Spend $10 at Vista Print and make yourself a decent business card. Something that gives the impression that you buy and sell classic Subarus all the time. This will help you get a good deal if it seems like you know the market more than they do. Drop off a card on their door step and wait. If a week goes by and no call then you start door knocking. If it's "not for sale" you keep trying. Check back every month. Ask things like "whats your plans for the car" "how long have you had it" anything to make them realize they aren't doing crap with it other than letting it rust away. But remember, until they tell you to stop coming by, you don't stop coming. Do your research, know more than they do. Owners love to hear history of their cars and to know that if they do sell its going the right person. Also, trim for subarus are damn hard to find. So if its all there you are good to go. Lastly, have the cash on hand. One of those times you go knocking could be when the are in need of funds so flashing some cash could seal the deal. Hope this helps. Long post, bored at work.

1989 Toyota Corolla All-trac sedan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:10 am 

The whole business card idea may look like the car is of value and you want it for profit. Usually when I knock on doors, I never refer to the car by name. "hey just wondering if you'd be interested in selling that (insert color) here. kinda interested in it." Dont upsell it.

- 1985 Toyota Celica GTS Convertible

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:57 am 

TransAmBandit, how well does that theory work? the card idea seemed good too.
I'd really like to get this thing for under a grand, and I think its doable with the right presentation.

te51- thats a sad story about a rotting car, around here theres a property law. after a certain amount of time of a car or boat being on your property you can claim ownership of it. you should look into that.

I'm going to attempt to head over there when I get out of work today.
I think I might go with the angle, (knock on door) I saw the brown car you had in your driveway, and I was wondering if you'd be interested in selling it. I'm looking for a cheap car to commute with.

The wife suggested that I say I'm buying it for my brother who is turning 16 soon.

Basically if he's an enthusist, I dont have a chance in hell. lol :P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:24 pm 

update: I went there... actually i parked next door at a gas station. i was too chicken to get out of the car. the gas attendant started giving me the evil eye so i cruised out of there.
im going to scoop this thing one day, and ill have some good stories to tell im sure.

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:23 am 

All they can do is say no. Just go up and ask. I stopped by one house about 30 minutes from mine once every couple months. They had an AE86 hatchback just sitting in the same spot in their driveway for years. Then one day I finally got a call and they said to come pick it up. $400 for a GTS hatchback was worth the hassel.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:23 pm 

The saying "No guts, no glory." Comes to mind, I'm a bit puzzled as to why your so hesitant to ask about it. Your not doing yourself any favors by not asking, eho know the owner might just say "you get that shit off my drive and you can take it".

Go for the gold man!

80 Mazda RX-7 10th Anniversary Edition- 30,000 original miles, for sale. PM me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:30 pm 

I have a 240SX. Strangers would come up and ask me if I would sell my car, or I've had people leave notes on my car with their number to see if I'll sell. I don't mind.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:11 pm 

Reminds me of back in the day.....before Internet was everywhere.
I had picked up a 78 Brat with a broken pass side window, and I noticed a 70,s Brat rotting into the ground in this guys yard one day. So I pull into the guys yard, up to what looked like a hand made cabin, I walk onto the porch nicely decored with animal bone wind chimes and make my presents know with what I can only assume was a goat testical door knocker. So Charles Manson opens the door enough for me to get a look inside the dead wild kingdom museum and his four inbread brothers cleaning there shotguns on the bear hide kitchen table while there 9 month old cousin wife's are breast feeding the other infants in the house. I kindly explain my window dilemma and he makes it clear that he is not ready to part ways with what was left of the rust sinking into his front yard......not even the window!

So don't be detured....what's the worst that could happen? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:03 pm 

Bugout - The method transambandit said works pretty well as I am his partner when we do nostalgic hunting lol.

Its worked out great every single time, most of the time the owners are just happy to talk to someone about their once loved car.

we've purchased about 80% of the cars that we've asked about using this method. The only time we had to address a car by name was after a owner asked us to identify the type of car before he started speaking about it...
a 71 Toyota Crown.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:04 pm 

I vote against the business card idea as well.

I have a 1988 Toyota Pickup that looks crappy but I have plans for it. It annoys the hell out of me whenever I find "I want to buy your truck" notes and cards stuck under the wipers. Also, makes me paranoid that someday I will go out and find my truck missing.

Altho, come to think of it, having random people come up to me to ask if my truck is for sale is just as annoying and paranoia inducing as well...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]