#
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 79 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: My 71' KGC10 "Hakosuka" resto/mod
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:02 pm 

Hey guys! First time post, long time lurking and now its time to introduce my new addition! My name is Jeff I live in the Big Sky Country of Montana. This is my first "nostalgic" Japanese car though I have a extensive background in all types of Japanese cars.

I picked up the 1971 Skyline from only the best- JDM legends in Utah. From beginning to end I could not ask for better service, the guys over there are very thorough so you know exactly what your getting. It was a very big commitment and they made it much easier. The car was exactly as described and honestly absolutely a dream. Thanks again Ryan and Eric! Without further a-due here is my new KGC10 Skyline!!

What you see when your pulling up to JDM Legends, a lot of people describe it as the gates to heaven, I believe this to be true and once you get inside and see all the amazing classic's you will be truly amazed.

Post subject: Re: My 71' KGC10 "Hakosuka" resto/mod
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:36 pm 

Congrats! I love them without the wing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:03 pm 

Looking good! Is this the one that still had the L20? What are your plans for it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:59 pm 

NIce :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:03 am 

I'll get some more pics up soon, but yes she has the basically stock L20 but she's strong and a blast to drive! Has some qwerks that need to be ironed out, but overall for a 42 year old car it drives great. Starts fast and is fairly simple to drive (thorough I had severe difficulty on the test drive.)

Brought her home in the trailer not wanting to chance a road trip, but after the weekend we put on a couple hundred miles both on and off the highway with no problems. Other then the brakes are on my first thing to-do list, along with a carb cleaning I think the accelerator pump is barely working or not working at all.

As for my plan you ask, I'm very eager to dive into this car, but also want maximum time on the road. So I'm gonna slowly address these smaller issues so i can for now enjoy driving it. But long term goal is to keep the L20 there is something about it that I just love, might be the idea of how it was at one time winding up the curvy roads of Japan idk maybe I'm crazy but I like it. The body on the car is gonna be the main issue. It has some areas that are a major concern, it shows signs of rust on the lower fenders, rockers and quarters. Which is normal for these cars but just briefly looking into the car on the ground the interfenders and underbody alarm me because they seem to be almost to clean, the previous owners restoration involved a lot of fiberglass and it seems like it's been recently undercoated. So I'm hoping they removed any rust before they applied this fiberglass/undercoating. I will get some pics of these areas that concern me to get your guys opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:28 pm 

Welcome to the family!

As much time effort and money the Japanese are seemingly willing to spend on engine, brakes, and/or suspension - they apparently are not for the most part so inclined with bodywork.

I think all of us on here can attest to some form of fiberglass over untreated rust on all of our cars.

Comes with the territory I guess

It'll be interesting if in 5-10years some of our now Foreign-owned cars are for sale with proper bodywork repairs & the Japanese enthusiasts come outside Japan to buy them back...

Last edited by ericbauer on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:30 pm 

Btw I'm digging yet another car without GT-R badges... Is yours a GT (manual windows) or a GT-X (power windows)?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 pm 

[quote="
It'll be interesting if in 5-10years some of our now Foreign-owned cars are for sale with proper bodywork repairs & the Japanese enthusiasts come outside Japan to buy them back...[/quote]

It's already happening in California.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:35 am 

Thanks Eric! She's a GT, so just manual windows. Which I'm glad for when a see how fast the wipers go.

Kind of had to sit back and laugh last night was a rodeo with it. Had to drive it up and back to the insurance office about 10miles each way in about 79 degrees in rush hour traffic and got my first taste of overheating and "brake fade" which felt like complete brake loss! So once I made it home me and a buddy pulled the wheels off and bleed out the brakes. Made a big difference but still a little off.

Also while having the car on jack stands I decided to peak around to see what I could see. It appears my car was probably restored between 10-15 years ago but someone did a "Quality New-Used Car" fix up on it recently in Japan. There's several things, the new undercoating type stuff which they must have had some spray gun or basting tool to apply, because it's literally on everything under the car. I guess that to be a few years old because while some of it looks brand new other parts are flaking and rust coming thru. The next weird thing I found was on seams that rust was coming thru it seems they just put white out over top to jazz it up, the last sign of it being recently refreshed was the wheels have a fresh coat of spray paint.

Overall I think I've got a good car and it is definitely worth working with. As far as some of the body is concerned it's gonna be a more fix it as it comes type deal. Other areas are gonna need to be addressed quicker. I only found a few areas of bad rust. But hey it is a 42 year old car. I think I've got it pretty good!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:00 am 

Welcome again, fellow GT owner... My car left the factory in Nov 1970 as a white automatic GT coupe, was then painted silver, and then red and somewhere in its 43 years acquired the 5spd and 3liter motor

I've got quite a bit of patched over rust in my rear wheel wells and my rockers look to be more bondo than steel... Like you said, all in due time!

Word of advice, first time you bring it to your local shop and they put it on a lift make sure you watch where exactly they jack it from... They've probably never seen a Hako before and while those sheetmetal boxes between the frame rail & rocker where the floor pan meets the firewall might look structural, they most certainly are not !!!

Front & rear subframes are safe
Rocker beam under car is awfully narrow

Jack with care!
Or get ramps...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:15 pm 

You are so right about finding a good solid place to jack it from, and then its even harder to find a good place to set the jackstands!!

But like i've been promising finally some new pictures. These are just a few beauty shots i took tonight after work, i will in the next couple days take some pictures of the areas of concern. But i figured for now i better post some beauty pictures at the beginning of my thread! Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:23 pm 

Looks very complete!

You got all the rare interior bits!
Congrats!!!!

Love the vintage bucket!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:05 am 

Congratulations on picking up a beautiful Skyline. These cars look best in white without the rear spoiler!

1973 Datsun 620

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:54 am 

Thanks guys! I'm in such a toss up on finding a wing. They look so good with and so good without! Ill more then likely track one down.

Eric, it's funny that you say your car started as a automatic, as I suspect that mine also started as a "slush box." How did you confirm it was? I haven't dig in to investigate my theory yet. Also without taking panels off or really poking and prodding I'm about 85% sure my car has always been white, however in the engine bay I've found 3 separate parts with a dark maroon overspray. Maybe just replacement parts from a donor, but does make me want to dig in further. My paint is THICK too. Might be the type of paint they used, or just a couple layers. All this is to be determined!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:12 am 

From under the car, looking up at the hole in the Trans tunnel for the shifter - you can tell there. Ill upload a pic tonight fyi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:57 am 

Ok! I've been brainstorming with a buddy about what to do with my brakes. My rotors/drums/pads/calipers are all in really bad shape. My idea for the rear is to just go with new 240z pads, and alloy drums mixed with a good cleaning and new bearings. Now for the front I'm thinking of going with 240z calipers (which I think are the same) and rotors. Now I know the rotors are 270mm vs 250mm from Kev. The big benefit not bring the diameter increase but rather going from solid non-vented rotors to vented discs. Some sort of adapter would need to be made, which won't be to hard as I know a great fabricator. Seems like a lot of work for a small mod but I think it'll be a dramatic increase, and since I plan to keep the L20 and 14s I think it'll be sufficient. Thoughts?

Also how are you guys ordering from places like Rubber Soul, and Victory50? Ill ease into that as I have no clue how to operate yahoo actions even with google translator.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:34 am 

Great looking car :tu:

one of these is on my list after I finish my 240z,

I upgraded my 240z front brakes with Toyota hilux/Surf vented callipers (they have the same bolt pattern and bolt straight on), so maybe you could do the same upgrade ?

I used peugeot 273mm 505 GTI front vented disc's which were machined out in the bore to suit the datsun hub and 4 holes drilled to mount it and a spacer made up, or you can use 300zx non turbo front disc's I think,

Not sure if the front struts/hubs are the same on your Hakosuka though,

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:29 am 

We would have a hard time locating Peugeot rotors in the states atomman lol..,

Send me a pm with your email addy ri1eycoyote

Hakosuka struts are not the same as 240z

Depending on your budget what you want is sumitomo mk63 calipers which were a works race option with vented rotors and fit 15" wheels

Of course if you're willing to go custom anything's possible

I go through Adam at Feast for all YAJ & RubberSoul/victory50 purchases I make

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:57 am 

The Toyota Hilux is the MK63 conversion correct? Dang, I thought I was onto something with the 240z such. My wish is to get a little more responsive with the brakes and also simplify the wear parts to something that is more locally sourced.

As for the MK63 brakes ideally it would be the easiest option. However my wheels are only 14s. Not a huge deal to get new wheels but I cringe a little when I see the prices for wantanbes. However I would like a wider set in the front, some with a little bit of offset. Maybe a 15 inch front and 14 inch rear could be something to consider going with the thoughts of the MK63 brakes.

Eric I sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:09 am 

Ri1eyCoyote wrote:
I cringe a little when I see the prices for wantanbes.

Apparently they go on sale from time to time.
A friend linked me to this http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/83-tet ... ipped.html

$1530 shipped feels a lot better than their retail pricing.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 79 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next