#
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:30 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Mick's Mazda garage.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:09 am 

Still playing with the parts car while my friend sorts his car trailer to move wagon 1 around to my house. The cooling system is shot and we couldnt even blow compressed air through the radiator core, plenty of crap in the water gallerys in the block. Still trying to come up with a game plan on how to clean the water jackets without pulling the engine apart. Anyone have any suggestions?

Started repairing and polishing some of the stainless trim to keep busy, but not much else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:43 am 

With both of of the wagons now home it was time to give them a good looking over and coming up with a game plan. Under close inspection the parts car has the better body and wagon 1 having the better mechanical parts.

Shot at 2012-09-18

I started by trying to start the green wagon, the engine started without too much trouble but ran very poorly turns out the number four plug has a stripped thread. So it was time for deconstruction out with the engine, Im going to pull the head and inspect it and the piston sleeves and make a judgment from what is going on internally in the engine. Hopefully internals are ok and all the head needs is a thread repair.

Shot at 2012-09-18

Shot at 2012-09-18

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:11 pm 

:tu: these wagons have so much style. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:56 am 

Slow progress its just so hard to find time for the car. First up was giving the engine a good clean before pulling the head off, I just hit it with degreaser and the pressure washer.

The engine is so small once the bolt on's have been removed from the block even my wife laughed at how small it was. No great surprise when the head was removed water galleries were full of sludge i pulled a handful of this crap out of the front of the head. The block and head has now been cleaned with no blocked galleries now. Im going to strip the head off my spare engine and have a look if it is within spec to use of I will just send this head off for a service and the thread repair there a few spots on the face Im not 100% happy with so it will need a small shave if I decide to use it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:19 pm 

Update time Ive been quite busy getting bits done to the wagon. With the engine out I pulled the whole front end out of the car to rebuild it. Absolutly everything is getting at the very least pulled out cleaned inspected to see if it functions the way mazda intended and a fresh coat of paint if its not up to scratch rebuild time.

General condition of suspension and steering can be described as poor the wishbones and crossmember were caked with grease and mud up to an inch thick in places plenty of hard yakka to clean them up with a scrapper then blasted in my cabinet. Im refinishing the parts with a satin black epoxy enamel most other builds Ive just sent parts off for powder coating but Im try to keep cost down on this build and enjoying doing most things myself.

You cant even see the top of the ball joints or the bolt that fixes the bump stop.

Ball joints were rebuild by an old european fella at accurate steering in Marrickville find NOS ones next to impossible.

Drag link was rebuilt by same fella that done ball joints, I was lucky enough to find NOS tie rod ends

New Monroe GT gas shocks again straight replacements NLA I bought a set in the same length and had to modify the mount to get them to work.

I love the fact most bolts on this car are Mazda branded :D

Waiting for some rubber spring cushions then should be ready to put it back together

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:06 am 

Next job was to rebuild the brakes Im still working on this task, one side is complete the other about 50% done.

The whole wheel assembly was stripped down. Wheel cylinders are NLA so I rebuilt the old ones there were all seized so it was a bit of a mission to remove the piston but once they were out they were in better shape than I thought they would be. Rebuild kits are also NLA but I found piston cups and dust boots to suit. I pulled the units aparts honed the bore cleaned the piston with steel wool and also gave the cylinders a good overall clean lubricated all bits with brake fluid and put them back together.

Backing plates and hubs have been sand blasted and painted in an epoxy and drums machined. the drums have never been machined previously which was a bonus and new standard standard shoes fitted. New wheel bearings and one side is now ready to bolt back to the ball joints.

The brake master was rebuilt using a NOS kit from Japan again the cylinder was honed and the master cleaned a full seal kit with piston and valve fitted. The same treatment was given to the clutch master the clutch slave is waiting patiently for its turn.

The idler was stripped and inspected. The bushes were good with no unwanted play, the idler got a good clean paint and re packed with grease.

The crossmember is close to back together once it is done a quick clean of the engine bay and it will be refitted. The head is repaired and ready to be picked up from my friends that done the work for me, so next update engine bay should be close to complete.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:23 am 

800 wagons are so cool top work with the progress so far .

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:26 am 

Time for a bit of an update.
The head was sent off for the thread repair and while it was there it got a full service, thanks go to patty at Purcell race engines funny thing is most of his work is building big block V8 engines for race boats but he is a mate and was happy to sort my head

While the head was getting done i set about getting the rest of the engine bolt on's ready for reassembly I was lucky to find a NOS waterpump and a couple of spares at the same time. The rocker cover was given a fresh coat of paint and the air cleaner was given a resto it was in very poor condition and looking back cant believe how much time i spent on it.

Well Im at a cross road at the moment with everything in the front end ready to go back in, I look at the engine bay and what a mess the paint is with patches of surface rust everywhere Im getting the urge to strip the rest of the bay and paint it. But this car wasnt supposed to be the first in line plan was to get this one running to free up some room for the other wagons resto and at the pace I work the engine bay might take me 6 months Ive given myself till the end of the week to make a decision will keep you posted.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:18 pm 

Nice work!!!!!! :mrgreen: :tu:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:20 am 

Reproduction tail light lenses are well under way the first prototypes, looking at pressurising the mould to remove the few tiny air bubbles.

Engine now ready to wrap in plastic and put aside until the engine bay is redone. Dave will pop past soon for a visit need to pick your brain on a couple of paint prep questions I have.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:33 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Nice work, is making the tail lights an expensive exercise ?

What's the big can bolted to the front of the block.

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:39 pm 

gypsy wrote:
Nice work, is making the tail lights an expensive exercise ?

What's the big can bolted to the front of the block.

Guessing but I'd say that's the oil filter housing. It looks like an oil pressure switch popping out of the top.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:17 pm 

Spot on oil filter. Takes paper cartridges and they a bitch to find and worth way too much. Oh the joy of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:58 pm 

jdm10a wrote:
Spot on oil filter. Takes paper cartridges and they a bitch to find and worth way too much. Oh the joy of it.

Your friendly Mazda 800 parts supplier in Brisbane has them :D One will be sent with your order.

2003 Lexus LS430 sedan
2011 Mazda CX7 diesel wagon
1977 Honda Z50 J1 Mini Trail
Then there are the three fire engines.......

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:24 am 

mazdajon wrote:
jdm10a wrote:

Your friendly Mazda 800 parts supplier in Brisbane has them :D One will be sent with your order.

Very much appreciated Jon, you are keeping the dream alive for many micro car owners. I would be sceptical if I could finish my build with out your support.

John I dont have an exact price on the tail light lenses yet. Im fortunate in the respect that the fellow casting the lenses makes moulds and parts as a hobby not a living and it helps he is a mad supporter of the mazda mark.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:16 am 

Well about time for an update I wish i had a great deal to report but the build slowed down and came to a complete halt at times. The wife and I were toying with the idea of moving house so the front end went back in and so did the engine. 1 to tidy up my workshop and 2 its easier to transport a whole car instead of parts. The other main factor is my workshop is cold as hell in winter and there is very little motivation to leave the warm house to freeze in the workshop. Well a few months passed and we both sort of went cold on the idea of moving house.
As the weather got warmer I started heading down to the workshop just looking at the car and moving bits and pieces around. Then I came across Cam's 808 build that I had a read of from start to finish, it was all the motivation I needed to get stuck in the wagon. There is not a huge amount of rust in the car but the bits that need work are pretty bad. First port of call was the outer rocker panels one side completely shot the other just needs a repair. I will let the picks tell the rest of the story.
A few rust holes but I knew something more sinister lied underneath.
The more I dug the worse it got filler up to 10mm in places.
The only way to do a proper repair was to unpick the whole section and replace it.
The section removed had a large repair from years gone by. no proper prep resulted in terminal rust in this section as can be seen in the section I have removed. This repair is beyond my fabricating skills (which are none existant its the first time Im having a go at major repairs) so I have a fabricator looking at making this section for me.

The other side was no where near as back but still bigger than what was hidden under the filler.
After Having a chat with Dave I purchased some sheet metal and set out to fabricate a patch. I made a custom metal bender (square tube mounted to the side of my work bench) and started bending and bashing.

Im more than happy how it has turned out the profile is a perfect fit and I got it first time either a total fluke or I might have a nack for this kind of stuff. im currently doing a bit of practice on some scrap sheet metal before I attempt to weld it in, Ive never welded metal this thin and I keep blowing holes in it so when Im confident I will have a go at welding it in. Thanks to Dave for the pointers and Cam for the inspiration. Hope to have another update soon.

Last edited by jdm10a on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 am 

Well we have a new addition to the family. Its a 1975 mazda F1000 bongo van. Ive always had a soft spot for these vans and always had intentions of owning one at some point in time. Like all things they never seam to turn up at the right time so when this one came up for sale on social media. I thought crap i dont really have the room dont really have the spare money or time at the moment. But how often does a bongo with 41k original miles all documents from new and me now being the third owner if you dont include a dealer that on sold the van immediatly come up for sale plus he wasnt asking a whole lot of money for it. So i thought i will at least have a look at it so rang the owner a few minutes after he posted the ad and headed of to look at it straight after work the van was even better than i hoped a only few spots of surface rust, mint interior, straight panels and every original part it was delivered with. The bad points in my eyes is the van has had a couple of side windows added not that they are bad its just they were not there from factory, and the paint has had a flow coat at some point in its life again not bad but not original paint. Plans for the moment is a couple of rust and paint touch ups give it a once over as it has sat in storage since 2010 and enjoy it. Well enjoj the pics more to come soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:45 pm 

Very cool Bongo! Well done. 8)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2