Hmm two months since the last update... I was hoping to make an update post with 3 images about a month ago, first pic showing the cam removal, second pic with new cam install, third pic/vid of me blasting the tires.
It didn't quite end up that way; ran it hard at the last AutoX day on May 11th, pulled the stock cam out on May 12th, dropped it off at Schneider Cams (whom I found out is only ~3 miles from my work place).
Decided to go with their 270/280 .460 regrind on the stock cam, +new springs/retainers. Amazingly, I landed the drop off day just right, they had it done the next day! Pretty fantastic service from Kevin I must say, they also cleared up lot of the cam install misconceptions, which is all over the 240z boards.
Anyways, I excitedly installed the newly ground cam, tried to get the sprocket back on and was 1/8" short... I think my first words were something like "Oh F&*% me sideways"
Basically the hammer grip I used wasn't sufficient as the chain wedge, and I made the infamous rookie mistake of letting the chain tensioner slack on the L28 - those of you know what this means, now the radiator / crank pulley / water pump / oil pump / alternator / timing cover / oil pan is gotta come off. The 2 hour project has turned into a 12 hour job.
Yeah ... oh ****
The $10 tool that could've saved me hours.
My awesomely organized tools, I had this unique system of finding things: Dig until I see it, or swear at myself, repeat.
The good old 'stuffing nylon rope into the cylinders to hold the valves up' trick to install new springs,
Checking base circle wipe patterns
Got everything buttoned up - went for a quick break in drive, my brake pedal hits the floor. Bled it a couple of times and got better, but right away noticed weird motor tone and loss in power, sounded like fuel starvation.
At the last autoX, the power terminal on the fuel pump progressively came loose to a point of completely coming off, but my guess is it toasted itself to death while it was making hundreds of split on/off connections while becoming loose. Luckily I had a POS airtex spare pump, hooked it up and was able to get a good ~3 psi.
The sonofabitch regulator had to be set at '5 psi' marker to reach 3 actual psi however... I did not know that until I actually hooked up a fuel pressure gauge which I should've had forever ago, god knows what kind of fuel pressure I was running before.
I get back in the car, no fluid again in front brake reservoir, big puddle on the passenger rear... looks like it's coming from inside the drum, so it must be the cylinder itself. As it stands, I have not had the chance to try the new fuel pump to see if it'll run ok, until the brakes are done.
New parts should get here in a couple of days, so hopefully I'll be posting up a happy ending update of me abusing the 6500 - 7000 rpm mark by this weekend.
Another jdm old school ride, been sharing my buddy's miata at the autox, man this thing can grip the turns..
Some pics from the MSA show caravan, didn't take a lot of pics at the show, the quality of s30's at the show this year were ... eck. Might skip it next year and just attend JCCS, which never disappoints.