#
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:48 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tony's 77' Corolla TE31
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:00 pm 

Hello guys... I've been lurking on this forum For a minute and I've decided to post of my own car. I recently just bought a 1977 Toyota Corolla 2TC with a T40 trans... I bought it in Brentwood, CA for $750. It hasn't been registered since 2008 and registration fees are going to be another $750. Anyways it runs and drives... I feel it needs a new clutch but other than that its good. It's got some rust issues (PO claimed it had no rust) and the suspension seems shot. I work for the state referee (smog station) and smogged the corolla last week. CO was at 4.6 ... Runs super rich... Anyways here's some pics... I'll update when I can! Thanks for looking guys.

Me and my friends AE86 SR5

Post subject: Re: Tony's 77' Corolla TE31
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:22 am 

looks good that te!

more pics :tu:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:43 am 

Thanks... I'll be pulling some parts from the wrecker today... Lets hope I get lucky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:05 pm 

Car looks good man! if you ever decide to track it lol let me buy your driver side door card if its not missing any pieces of material (mine has a chunk missing) and the back bench :D lol

But in all seriousness I love that blue. Same as my TE. Nice car man!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:23 pm 

Thanks man... I love this blue... Once I get the engine and carb in tip top shape I'm going to restore the body

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:55 pm 

I see you have made it here from the rollaclub forums too. :wink: Glad to see another TE31 on here.

Keep us updated if you get that stock carb to pass smog. I had the same issues with mine after rebuilding. Idle was fine, but when the RPMs go up it fattens up the mixture.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:56 am 

Haha yea it took me a minute to figure out that darn security question haha...

UPDATE: I have changed my plans for the corolla... No more registering and no more smog... I'm going to track it 8)

Registration is going to be $800 now and that's a LOT of money just to be able to drive around on the street not to mention insurance... I have an Audi as a daily driver so I'm not too worried about getting the corolla registered.

I just came back from Sonoma race track where they hold Wednesday night drift events and it just hit me... I have a rwd car that's about what... 1900 lbs? It all seems like the perfect recipe for a drift car... So on Sunday I'm going to strip the ac, smog pump, ac lines, ac condenser and the rear seats... I'm also going to strip any unnecessary weight so I can run a lighter car to make up for the small amount of horses the 2TC puts out... I'll probably post all my ac and seats stuff on the swap thread...

Current plans are to strip the TE of unnecessary weight, cut the front springs and 2" blocks in the rear (until I can afford the weld on coilovers) and save up for some wider tires... Since this is going to be a straight drift car and ill be towing it to the track I might just weld the diff... But first I'm going to try it at the track with the current 3.90 open diff...

I'll update again tomorrow with some pics... Stay tuned! And thanks for the support!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:19 am 

If you keep it off the DMV record for a while it may fall out of their system, so you could register later for less $. Curious to see where this thread goes. I may be interested in your AC parts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:40 pm 

Skellington wrote:
If you keep it off the DMV record for a while it may fall out of their system, so you could register later for less $. Curious to see where this thread goes. I may be interested in your AC parts.

Oh really? I didn't know that haha... I hope it does fall out of their system haha... And yea I see your in California too.... And yea dude I'd be down to sell you my a/c parts for dirt cheap since they have no real value to me as of right now...

Oh and for the other viewers new seats and grant steering wheel... Picked up both seats from the wrecking yard for $40 and grant wheel with hub and adapter for $7 also new e brake and e brake cover ... Then detailed the interior 8)

I might end up selling these seats later and get bucket seats

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:13 pm 

Where did you get the hub for the GT Grant? I'm looking to put one in my TE31.

Yours looks awesome, by the way! :tu:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:16 pm 

You got super lucky finding those seats...seats that clean are nonexistent lol :) Great find on the car and seats...fortune is smiling on you fer shur!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:17 pm 

msnwlt wrote:
Where did you get the hub for the GT Grant? I'm looking to put one in my TE31.

Yours looks awesome, by the way! :tu:

The grant wheel was on a 80's Toyota tercel... So I took everything and crossed my fingers that it would fit the te31 and it ended up being a perfect fit!

Wrodz1980 wrote:
You got super lucky finding those seats...seats that clean are nonexistent lol :) Great find on the car and seats...fortune is smiling on you fer shur!

Haha yea tell me about it someone sent their te31 to the junkyard because of something idk but when I got there everything was pretty much stripped (I guess other TE owners got there before me). I look inside and bam two mint condition seats... I couldn't believe my eyes... Haha so I took them ASAP and I look next to the te31 and there was the tercel with the grant wheel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:08 pm 

Hey does anyone have a write up on how to weld the te31 diff? Or where I can get a spool for it? Much thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:56 pm 

Just a oil update / preview... Just bought some car parts! I'll take a pic maybe tomorrow or Sunday of everything installed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:16 pm 

Hey Tony,

I bought my TE21 from the same guy you got your TE31 from in Brentwood! Glad you were able to pick this blue beauty up, I was really hoping someone would adopt it. I am local in the east bay and would love to see the car in person sometime.

Also I am very interested in your A/C stuff since I am wanting to put A/C on my daily TE21. I will send you a PM once I post up a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:29 pm 

LeftFootBraking wrote:
Hey Tony,
Also I am very interested in your A/C stuff since I am wanting to put A/C on my daily TE21. I will send you a PM once I post up a bit.

I called dibbs! :evil:
LOL. If it doesnt work out oh well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:00 pm 

Skellington wrote:
I may be interested in your AC parts.

I thought u "may have been interested" haha if you want it dude make an offer... LeftFootBraking is offering me some car parts and what not

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:59 pm 

Im messing around. I would trade him since
1 he’s a local and close.
2 if he has no AC in this heat HE NEEDS IT especially if he’s driving the car daily.
I’ll probably tear out a 134 system out of a 90s Camry and build my own mounts for mine. So what kind of parts are you looking for?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 pm 

Skellington wrote:
Im messing around. I would trade him since
1 he’s a local and close.
2 if he has no AC in this heat HE NEEDS IT especially if he’s driving the car daily.
I’ll probably tear out a 134 system out of a 90s Camry and build my own mounts for mine. So what kind of parts are you looking for?

By all means you have first dibs. Especially of where you are at, its definitely hot there as well. I am trying to build a system also using something like Vintage Air with stock compressor and components. Though it might work out better in the end to just get the a/c bracket and then piecemeal things together so there is no switch over from R12 to 134.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:36 pm 

UPDATE:

Alright so today I did a couple things to the corolla... I took off the carb last week to try and fix the super rich condition... I adjusted the float tang and now the bowl level is right on center... I attempted to install the lowering blocks but the u-bolts were too wide and the bolt size was much bigger than the stock one... So I have to pay a visit to a spring shop down the street maybe on Tuesday to see if they have any smaller u bolts... After that I decided to finally strip the car of the air pump and a/c...

I took apart the a/c and air pump... Took off the condenser and stuff and all the lines and hoses for the air pump...

I also installed that MSD blaster coil too... And did some carb adjusting... While taking off the ac I noticed the oil pressure switch was unplugged... No biggie.. Plugged it back in no problem.

Also since the rear end was on jack stands for the lowering block install I decided to flush the brake fluid..

Here it is without the air pump and a/c... (I know I need to clean the engine )

Here's what the brake fluid looks like... 2nd pic I flushed the rear wheels

Lastly here's all the parts going to storage...... The a/c compressor alone was like 25lbs... Brackets and stuff were like another 25lbs... Plus the condenser and other crap ...

So did I notice any difference? Hell yea I did... RPM's climbed faster... Better throttle response... And I probably gained 2-3 horses... Not much but better than nothing...

I also have to figure out if I want to take the rest of the air pump stuff off or not... I think I'm going to leave it for now until I get headers

That's it for now... I'm going to replace the thermostat tomorrow and flush the front brakes... Oh and after working on the corolla today I took it for a spin around the neighborhood for a drifting session hehe 8)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next