#
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:23 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 62 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cosmos: n. harmonious system
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:38 pm 

Camshaft wrote:
Isn't that colour called Swan White or something similar?

Very well could be. Depending on where it falls (production date), it would be either Swan White (have also seen it spelled "Swann") or Pyrenees White. To the best of my knowledge, at least the earlier of the Series I cars were Pyrenees White, though.

Neal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:28 pm 

Thanks everyone for the kind comments! I'm pretty stoked about this car, I can't wait to get my hands on it and start putting pieces back on!

I was back up at the shop this last weekend, so I commandeered the shop camera and snapped a few more pictures of the progress.

The hood had been painted, but it doesn't quite line up with the body like it's supposed to. I pointed this out and they assured me that they will fix it, so here's hoping it'll be picture perfect soon!

The trunk lid also got coated in the super slippery white.

The Cosmo is keeping some good company with a Hako in the foreground and an S30 in the background.

The doors also got hit with paint too!

I really love this color!

Without the flash.

And the left over paint that has now hardened into a perfect white pancake, haha.

The next step is to assemble the panels on the car so it can all be wetsanded and buffed to a mirror shine. Then it's off to the upholsters to get a headliner popped in and finally out to the glass shop to get the front and rear windows set in. After all that she can finally come to her new home!

Thanks again for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:27 pm 

Back at the shop over the past few weeks, work has been steadily progressing! Hide-san was vigilant with his wet sanding and brought the car back to perfectly smooth and then busted out his buffing wheel to bring it to a mirror shine!

It's looking stellar!

Here are the doors looking nice and flat after a good wetsand.

And here after a solid buffing (terrible photo, I know).

To make up for that awful photo, look at the mirror finish on the roof!

What an awesome looking car!

More to come as they slowly progress on it!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:28 pm 

Looking good ! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:29 pm 
Mild Cam

How stunning! And is that an ALSI in the background?

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:59 pm 

DmK66 wrote:
Looking good ! :D

Thanks man! How are things going on your side of the world?

Camshaft wrote:
How stunning! And is that an ALSI in the background?

Very keen eyes cam! That is indeed an ALSI in the background! CCN has been working on it for a few years now, with it often only being worked on when there are no other customer cars to get attention. Here's a few more pictures of it from the short bit about CCN on the main blog a while ago.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:04 pm 

Feed me updates.. :)
This re-imagined one isn't too bad!
http://jpx.responsejp.com/jpx/images/2002/01/11/14233_1.jpg
http://jpx.responsejp.com/jpx/images/2002/01/11/14233_3.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:37 am 

miata based cosmo rep

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:48 pm 

Whoooaa.... I'm speechless... :shock:
The project of wet dreams!!

:wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:29 pm 

Wow :shock: bodywork kooks fantastic! Good to see another Jap classic being done properly.

Keep the updates coming, Ill keep a close eye in this thread :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:49 pm 

Well, there's a really long and frustrating story that is the reason there haven't been many updates, but I'll give the Cliffs Notes version here.

So, after the car got painted, I asked CCN to put the glass in, because that's one of the things I'm incapable of doing myself. In order to put the glass in the headliner has to be put in, which means the car needs to make a trip to the interior shop. In order for that to happen, it needs wheels on it. So I was told to bring all the suspension bits up to the shop and that they would install the suspension and get to work. Well, every few weeks I asked everyone in the shop about it and I either got told that they'd be getting to it or I got the cold shoulder.

After 3 months I was fed up with the car just sitting in the corner and I told them to just deliver the car to me and I'll handle everything myself. This degenerated into a big fight with the Shacho getting angry at me because he couldn't remember me asking him to install the headliner and glass. Then he got even more angry at me because my car was in his way and I needed to do something with it. Ya, like I said, frustrating. The problem is that even though we've paid a very large sum of money to the old man, because I work there part time, he doesn't view me as a customer. He's treating me like an insubordinate employee that isn't grateful for the favor he is doing me. I can understand where he is coming from, but while the amount we paid may not seem like much to him, it's a colossal amount to us and it would be nice if we could get the same treatment as normal customers.

At any rate, this last Saturday morning, he brought the topic up again and asked me what I was going to do with the car. I thought I was clear when I said "give me the car and I'll do it all myself" but he apparently forgot I had said that (again... him forgetting me talking to him is becoming a problem). So, I said it again. This degenerated into him getting angry at me again and me having to bite my lip to keep from exploding. Finally, he said that he'd have a tow truck available on Sunday and he'll deliver it Sunday at 1300.

Panic bells went off! I had given up on receiving the car in a timely manner and hadn't cleaned my garage at all. I frantically cleaned all day Saturday in preparation for the car. I got everything ready to go and pushed my Bellett out at 1130 on Sunday morning, ready to finally get my hands on my dream car!

Then, at 1250, right as I sat down in my car to head up to CCN to help them load the car, I got a call. "Sorry, the tow truck won't be available until 1530." Alright, no problem, it gives me a little more breathing room, I thought. Frustrating, but not the end of the world. So, I head up at 1530 and the tow truck still isn't there. The time is now pushed back to 1630. Well, that sucks, but there's this ultra rare 1929 Chevy sitting there and so the extra time gives me a chance to grab some pictures.

A 1929 Chevy is a rare bird in general, but this one had something very special about it that made it one of the rarest cars on the planet.

There's a clue in the location of the steering column when looking at the all original inline six cylinder engine.

That's right, this car is right hand drive! It was built in Osaka by GM for sale in Japan only. This Chevy has never seen American soil!

The instrument panel is just amazing and simple!

I was surprised at how huge it was given how old it was. I often forget that old American cars weren't concerned with tiny streets like old Japanese cars were.

After getting my fill of pictures, I headed back home and then back up to CCN again at 1630 and, unsurprisingly the time gets pushed back once again to 1730. This is starting to get frustrating. I go home and back up again at 1745 and the truck still isn't there. At this point, I've given up on receiving my car today and am about go home rejected and angry when the truck rolls in at right about 1800. They unload the truck (which was full of... stuff) and we finally roll the car on as the sun dips below the horizon.

Back at my place, we're getting ready to unload the car and I'm cursing their lateness because I really wanted to get pictures of this momentous occasion, but given that it was now 1830, it was far too dark to get any decent pictures. At any rate, we did what we could with the camera and got some!

In the driveway, ready to be pushed in!

The most perilous part of the whole journey.

It's finally in!

It's a tight fit, but both cars are safely in.

The Cosmo will be getting my full attention after the Bellett gets to a more complete stage, but for now, I'm just happy to have the car in my possession!

After a long, frustrating and tiresome weekend, I can finally breath easy!

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:40 pm 

The manager seems worthless in his efforts to know his place: a business owner and you, a customer. Problem is, he is getting business so people in a position of success despite their personality either by necessity (only place to get something) or price (dont think this is the reason)get to stay in business. The difference is, you will take much more care in restoring the car just in focus than he ever would have. The sad part is, if it was for a different customer, this wouldn't have been an issue.

Glad it found it's way into your place.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:55 pm 

that Chevy has a New Zealand number plate on it! :?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:53 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

You wouldn't be the first to have a run in with a panel shop and that's from a paying customers point of view. It happens all the time, my view is if they haven't touched it in 3 months then it's unlikely to ever get attention to complete in a reasonable time frame.

Look at the bright side, you can now control the pace and standard of the build now that there's no external influences. At least you are in the right country to source all those hard to find bits.

Keep up the good work :tu:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:44 am 

Wow, so sorry to hear about all of the frustration. You would think that since you work there AND your paying that he would be more than happy to get your project DONE quick and out of the way. Some people are just pricks. Anywho, good luck getting all the suspension bits on it. Who is going to do the glass now?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:19 am 

Glad you got the car back. It looks really good, good luck getting the car put together.

Sounds a lot like my paint experience. It took me a year and a half to get my car painted because I had a brother of a friend do it. He gave me the run around through most of the process. I ended up doing basically everything but the actual spraying of paint and welding.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:36 pm 

How's the cossie progressing?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:37 am 

Just like Neil DeGrasse Tyson did with the show Cosmos, I'm resurrecting my Cosmo thread!

The reason this thread went dormant for so long is because I shifted all of my focus an energy to completing my other project before I got started on this wonderful piece of automotive art. After many months of hard work, I finally got my Isuzu Bellett back out into the light!

So, the Bellett is going to live outside for a bit while I shift my focus back onto the Cosmo. This started with a serious cleaning.

In the midst of all the cleaning, I took a bit of time to get the 10A rotary engine mounted onto my engine stand.

Next it was time to let the old girl see some daylight again.

Then I wheeled her into the center of the garage.

(Really, there was no need for me to post two pictures of the car moving one meter, but she looks so good I couldn't help myself.)
That's when I decided it was time to locate all the suspension parts I could. My top priority right now is to get chassis off the roll around thing it's on and onto four wheels. So, I laid out all the suspension components I could find.

Ya, that's a lot, but weirdly, not enough. I was lacking a huge amount of very vital pieces. For example, I had all the front suspension arms and hubs...

... but none of the bolts that hold them onto the chassis. So, it was time to start digging through all the boxes.

Naturally, the last box had all of the pieces I wanted.

There we go!

These were the pieces I was missing. Lots of big chunks of steel for holding various bits to the chassis. Not only that, someone already took the liberty of cleaning and painting them for me!

All of those little green and blue cans hold parts as well. Sometimes just rubber pieces and sometimes whole wheel cylinder assemblies.

Then I ran face first into a problem I knew was coming...

I didn't have a clue how any of this came apart, much less how its supposed to go back together. So, I pulled up a chair and just sat and looked at the parts for about an hour. Mentally building them, cataloging them, matching them up, and slowly figuring out how to put a majority of them together.

I still have a lot of research and figuring stuff out to do before I can start bolting things into the car. I also would like to get a whole suspension bushing kit for the car. Some of the bushings can be happily reused, but some are shot. I think it's time to utilize my Google-fu!

More updates coming on this finally!

Cheers,
David

Today's Garage Soundtrack
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts
http://youtu.be/EyKNUj-AjgA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:08 am 

Looking forward to this thread David! I don't know if I could figure any of it out as to where parts go by just sitting there and staring at them, haha! Maybe a few, but...

Is there anyway where you could find a copy of the service manual...cheaply?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:56 am 

IT'S STARTED! I can not freaking wait till this amazing piece of history starts coming together and you get to drive it.

I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts and have read through the Mitsubishi 360 and the Bellet. Your love of the more obscure cars from Japans history is inspiring and motivating. Please keep up the good work and continue to do the job right as I've seen you do time and time again.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 62 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next