Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forgotten Dreams-- 1964 Datsun 1500 Fairlady Project
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:04 pm 

Great freakin job on bringing this back to life :tu:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:23 pm 
Mild Cam

One of the most impressive restomods I've ever seen. The attention to detail is simply staggering. I can't wait for the next installment!

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:30 pm 

that is the most insanely clean fairlady i think ive ever seen i am sooo jealous :mrgreen:

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18604&p=158903#p158903

mx32 2jz swap in progress

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:24 am 

Is it bad that I noticed the missing red mark on the tach way before you mentioned it?

Haha my friends hate me for it but like what you said, "Again, projects like these come together with people with amazing talent, and critical eyes for detail" - While I don't exactly have an amazing talent but my attention to details is what making my stuffs stands out from the rest :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:57 am 

Great work man, I love it, I hope my 510 project turns out half as nice. I really want a roadster too, but already in the middle of the 510 project.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:23 am 

Man this car looks absolutely stunning! What a transformation... Nothing looks better than a properly restored Datsun! :D

On a side note, you wouldn't happen to know the part number for the 4 speed roadster gearboxes at all? I think I might be sitting on two brand new boxes...

Hope the restoration is going well!

Regards
Jared

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:53 pm 

Gas Tank Update

On Friday I went to the wrecking yard and got a fuel tank from a 1998 Honda Civic, processed out the fuel pump, retainer ring, and the return cup, and TIG welded them into the stock 1500 fuel tank:

Since the 1500 fuel sender is a larger (and taller), Nissan recessed the mount so it would clear the trunk floor-- I retained that feature and installed it into the new fuel tank roof:

Now all that is left to do is to have the tank pressure tested (ie. check the solder in the seams for leaks), painted and installed.

When this is installed, we can build the exhaust system... (it never ends!)

Michael

1970 Datsun Bluebird SSS Coupe
1966 Datsun 1600 Roadster
1964 Datsun 1500 Roadster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:55 pm 

December 2011 Update

I have been working on the project on and off when I can find time between other projects and other commitments. Here are a few updates:

Sound Deadening

We like the Dynamat Extreme sound deadening and Diamond Dave came down in November and spent a day installing it into the interior of the car. This really keeps the interior cool, and rattle free.

Wiring

The chassis wiring is nearly finished, just a few more details to go and it will all be sorted out. As of right now, everything but the wiper motor works-- all the headlights, floor dimmer switch, turn signals, etc. are working. All the chassis harness was wrapped in gray 3M electrical tape just like the 1500 chassis harness is originally.

I had a bunch of new NOS switches (from various Datsun models) that came in our NOS parts stash, and I decided to update the headlight and heater switches to the later Datsun style, but I wanted them to look original from the outside of the car. In the case of the new, aftermarket heater, I needed a 3-position fan switch and I could not for the life of me get the original 1500 heater fan switch to work with the new heater.

Here is the original 1500 heater switch:

I had a NOS 521 heater switch that had a 3-position heater pull switch, but the 521 knob had a set screw, and the 1500 has a threaded shaft:

I used a 5mm .9 die and threaded the end of the 521 switch, and now the 1500 knob can screw on like the original!

and after:

and installed:

Now all I need is a new set of knobs (working on that right now) and the dash will be good to go:

EFI Wiring Harness

I had a NOS S13 SR20DE wiring harness that I picked up in Japan-- nothing better than starting off with a new harness!

Of course, that harness won't do as it has many things that we won't use (power steering, AC, etc.), and the lengths are all wrong, so off with the factory tape so I can start modifying:

Nissan upgraded the S14/S15 SR20DE engines Crank Angle Sensor (CAS) with an internal coil, and that setup is considerably nicer than the original S13 setup that would have originally come with this engine. I had a spare S14 CAS, so I upgraded the engine to that style, but that required that the wiring harness be upgraded to match. (Another plus for the S14 SR20DE CAS is that the distributor caps are available in the USA-- the S13 SR20DE caps have to be ordered from Japan!)

Original S13 CAS plug has four wires, and the S14 CAS plug has 6-wires:

I have a section of S14 SR20DE CAS wiring that I saved off a junk harness to show were all the proper connections go:

Fortunately, I have a Kent Moore Nissan master terminal kit, so I had a new 6-pin connector and the matching correct terminals:

Then it was just a matter of transferring the four original wires from the S13 connector to the new, 6-pin connector, and then terminating the additional wires from the original harness:

After that was all completed, I installed and tested the harness for spark with a spare CAS to make sure everything was working properly, and proceeded to give myself one hell of a shock (through a leaky spark plug boot), so it works correctly ! :shock: (I tested the injectors at the same time, and they all fired off like they should, so this car will run as soon as the rest of the details are done!)

Other EFI harness details-- I always convert the EFI harness' to use a B13 Sentra EFI harness grommet as this exits the firewall at 90 degrees and is much smaller than the original boot:

The pile of wire that I pulled from the original EFI harness:

And finally, the simplified harness before being installed in the car:

I also installed a dry-cell battery in the original 1500 battery location (located under the jump seat), as well as a Hella battery cut off switch:

Exhaust Work

This car is going to have a stainless 2" mandrel bent exhaust system, with a catalytic converter installed on it. We recently spent a couple evenings working on it and here is the progress:

Exhaust flange-- For packaging purposes, I use the a factory FWD SR20DE exhaust manifold found on a Sentra SE-R, NX-2000, or Infiniti G-20. This fits around the steering shaft, and is short enough that it is easy to get a 90-degree bend so the exhaust can fit through the X-member. Unfortunately, the cast manifold has a very unique mounting flange that is a pain to duplicate. In past builds, we used to harvest the OEM flange and build from there, but a couple years ago, I finally had the flange laser cut so we could build higher quality exhaust systems:

The flange uses two steel o-rings to seal the pipes to the manifold, so the pipes need to sit about 1/4" above the surface:

The down pipe has to merge fairly quickly before it makes its 90-degree bend for the X-member:

Another view:

Normally, when we build exhaust systems, we put the catalytic converter in the x-member, but since this is a 1500, and the floor is much different in this car, we are going to put the CAT before the X-member, then add a flex, then the muffler (in the x-member) and out to the rear of the car.

Here is a shot of the CAT mocked up:

This will get a support bracket to the block to help support the weight of the CAT.

I am still waiting on the stainless V-band clamps to arrive, and then we can continue on the rest of the system...

Fuel Tank

Lastly, the fuel tank is painted, and installed into the car. I just need to add the EFI fuel line, and some gas (and make a tank cover) and that system should be good to go!

Best holiday wishes to you and your families!

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:54 am 

truly amazing work!

:D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:37 am 

Awesome build, man!! love it and keep on going!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:50 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Wow..........the detail and work done here is top notch. This will be a great car!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:04 am 

Simply outstanding.... makes me realise how nice mine won't be compared to this!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:50 am 

The attention to detail here is absolutely SPECTACULAR!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:23 pm 

i just look at this thread for the first time and looked at the pictures......... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: fantastic work

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:54 am 

Happy New Year Stranger - Beautiful build and you keep me inspired!! I hope you are doing well, one day soon I hope we can meet-up again. I have not spoken to Bee man in ages either, I need to call him.
Keep the great pictures coming bro..loving it!
Yasin

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:19 pm 

Keeping it Cool

It has a been a long time since I have updated this thread-- lots of things getting in the way of finishing this project, but slowly I am getting them knocked off of the list.

As some of you know, the 1500 Roadster's radiator (and supports) are different than the later 1600 and 2000 roadsters. The narrower opening of the 1500 was later corrected in the later models as Nissan probably discovered that the cooling system was marginal.

We like to use the Honda Civic radiators with some of the SR swaps, or a custom Ron Davis unit-- but neither would work in a 1500 application, the opening side to side was just too narrow, and I did not want to modify the stock 1500 sheetmetal-- we do want to keep this custom looking as original as possible!

Rob Fuller of Z-Car Garage pointed me to C&R Racing as a great shop to work with, and I got in touch with them on building a custom radiator for the Fairlady. Alvin also reported good luck with his C&R-- so I thought I would give them a try, and I could not be happier! I provided them an autocad drawing of the 1500 radiator, and we spent a long time talking about the cooling requirements of the SR engine, the coolant flow direction, etc. I was very impressed with C&R's questions and commitment to getting this "right". After several drawing revisions, we came up with a design that I am very pleased with.

Side by side with the stock 1500 radiator-- note the necks have been swapped to match the SR20DE's:

Details (note the water jet cut out fan bracket!):

Mocked up in the car (the radiator cross bars need to be powder coated!):

Now I just need to finish the intake plumbing, put some coolant into the radiator, and a few other minor details and we can get this car running!

Michael

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:42 pm 

nice to see that the project is going on :tu:

It´s a pleasure to read your posts!
Well written and great pictures :wink:

Hope my Champion radiator will fit :?

1994 TOYOTA MR2 Turbo (GEN3) *RIP

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:17 pm 

First time I've seen this thread, love your work!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:23 am 

Absolutely love it. Amazing attention to detail. Well done

Talk about setting the bar high for the rest of us

AJ

1975 HGC110 Datsun 240K Skyline Sedan (Yonmeri)
1976 KHGC110 Datsun 240K Skyline Hardtop Coupe (Kenmeri) (Race car project)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:16 pm 

[quote="datsunsss"]On a side note, you wouldn't happen to know the part number for the 4 speed roadster gearboxes at all? I think I might be sitting on two brand new boxes...
[/quote]

It's an F4C63L, but I don't have the Nissan part number for the complete transmission. There are 2 versions, with brass [Warner] and with steel [Servo type] synchros. Nismo optional gear sets only work with steel synchros FYI.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next