Update time! So, remember a couple days ago when I said I wanted to find an R series engine and toss it into the Celica so I could drive it instead of just staring at it? Well, the universe works in mysterious ways. I was driving my Dad to the store to buy a lawnmower battery, taking the scenic route through an industrial park to avoid the stop-and-go of the main drag, when I spotted this:
Naturally, I doubled back and stopped to talk to the owner, who is planning on removing the 20R in favor of the engine he's currently building. He expects to finish his motor in a couple months; he took my number down so he can call me when it's ready! That means I'll have some time to prepare the car for a heart transplant. A few weeks back, however, I moved her behind the garage for an anticipated hibernation of sorts while I finished the RX-7.
Someone had asked me to take a picture of the warning light cluster a while ago. Better late than never, I guess...
I took a picture of the warning label on the door panel for good measure.
Speaking of the RX-7...I always loved the stock telephone dials it came with, but swapping to big brakes and five-lug hubs left them homeless. Meanwhile, the tires on the Celica were so rotten that they barely held air long enough to move the car behind the garage. I think you can tell where this is going.
With two of my sisters visiting for the holiday, I figured it was a good time to get my niece and nephew involved. My nephew wasn't too interested but my niece was a great help, rushing around fetching tools and cleaning up discarded parts.
The result isn't too bad looking. You might have noticed that I removed the tacky chrome wheel trims. Hopefully, all of the chrome trim will be off soon.
Bonus: check out what I found in the trunk! It was hiding underneath a trim panel.
That's all for now. Next up, I want to hook up a battery and find out which electrics work and which don't, and finish removing that awful tacky trim.