Dropped in to see Dave (RestoreMaz). Did some plastic chroming for us. I had to straighten the radio fascia panel before Dave started working on it. I basically had to bend it back into shape using a heat gun and some clamps. Dave's theory was good, better I accidentally snap it than he accidentally snap it.... :) It was bent like a banana from over tightening the radio nuts.
One of my mates finished blasting the alternator casings and sedan starter motor. It's all ready to go back together when I get time.
I found a good Rx7 ignition harness for my twin distributor ignition. The rubber ignitor plugs are in A1 condition. Basically I've stuffed Rx7 high energy ignition system into the original distributors. I can now complete the wiring, I think I'm still missing the ignition relay though. Will take a proper look through the boxes of junk that came with the coupe.
Not much else has happened with the coupe.....
So I put away my electricians hat and put on my panel beating hat and threw the cover off the sedan :)
I ran the speed file over the roof to get things started, lots of damage around the parameter of the roof, the center isn't too bad but still needs work. I intentionally haven't stripped the car bare, I like to pull things off as I need too giving me time to document everything and bag all the correct fasteners with the relevant parts. Blocking the original paint shows all the highs and lows that will be worked out which is why I did it this way. The original paint is pretty thin, no bog or 10 paint jobs so not a big deal.
The metal is stretched from the large dents around the front and back of the roof. I thought about changing the roof but that brings it's own headaches.
The roof lining had to come out so the car didn't go up in flames when I'm shrinking all the badly stretched roof dents.
I've owned the car for over 6 months now and the interior still stinks bad. The only way to get rid of the smell is use all new trim. Unlike the coupe the sedan has fake stitching in the roof lining. Once I find a material match I'm going to make some dies and have the roof redone. Not high on the priority list though. I asked someone who I know owns an early 71 coupe and it didn't have the fake stitching, must be fitted to sedans only.
The best bit about disassembling the car yourself is you know where everything is suppose to go :) The correct screws are taped to parts.
This is where the major work starts, working out the imperfections....
Straightening the roof is pretty much all hammer and dolly work. The flipper (bent file) marks the metal as you bump up the lows so you can see how things are progressing. I switch between various dollys and hammers depending on what I'm doing.
The black marks you see are remnant shrink marks from heating the metal in particular spots to draw the metal together shrinking it so the large dents can be worked out. Both heat shrinking and shrinking using the flipper gets rid of oil canning in the roof from excess metal. A panel is impossible to block flat if it bopping up and down when you're sanding primer. I had to do a lot of heat shrinks around the back right area of the roof.
....and some more all going really well....
I've got lots more to upload next time, if the rest of the roof repair progresses the same way I reckon I'll only need to use a sealer and 2K primer under the paint. Once the roof and left quarter are done I'm going to strip the car and send away to be blasted. I've been thinking about paint, I was going to paint it flair yellow but have narrowed it down to the cars original colour nova white, then I thought phoenix blue but I'm thinking to do it in sunrise red. That might change again if I see a nice car in nova white :)