#
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:15 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: The sedan who loved me... or my current x6 build.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:16 pm 

There I was, 150mi from home, tow bar in hand and Dakota tow rig keys in my pocket. Before me lay a decently clean x6, the pouring rain shining up her paint and hiding all her imperfections. Money traded hands, and like a stray hooker, she came home with me for a paltry $250. Leaking from every orifice, and well worn in, 303,000mi showed on the odometer, but I was told it stopped reading several years ago. Filling in the wheel wells were oversize studded snow tires, it was almost like a bad boob job on an old lady, you couldn't look away, but that creeping thought in the back of your head was that someone somewhere paid money for these things!... $280 to be exact... the receipt was in the glove compartment. For an uneventful 150mi she followed behind the Dakota obediently and without any fuss, my gravel driveway marking what could well be her final resting place.

As she came home

Being no stranger to orphaned j-tin, I had a significant number of parts in the "build another car" pile. The first order of business was a MKIII w58, squareback celica pedal/hydraulics, and assorted bits to rid my poor x6 of the tumor toyota refers to as "a43de."

Next up was wheels. From the, "I am sure this will get used some day" pile come a set of 15x8.5 -50 offset unknown brand rollers with 195s on them. This is going to need massaged...

Suspension was next, the rear was treated to a set of camaro shocks, 8.5in x 5.5in 500lb circle track springs, and a heap of inner fender removal.

The front got S13 camber plates, cut and shut struts with mr2 inserts, ebay coilover adjusters, and 450lb coilover springs.

At that point I got to roll her out of the driveway and get an idea of ride height... the front is still 3in higher than it should be due to being shipped the wrong springs and waiting on replacements, and I expect the rear to drop more as the springs break in a bit.

For today this is where we end this sordid tale of toyotas, jackstands, and a driveway...

Isaac

Post subject: Re: The sedan who loved me... or my current x6 build.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:06 pm 

I actually like the wheels, but haaaattttteeee it when people install them like that....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:58 pm 

Looks like you know what you are doing with this car, cant wait to see it rolling down the street!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:17 pm 

GZfatchiX wrote:
I actually like the wheels, but haaaattttteeee it when people install them like that....

Like what? the mismatched direction? You get what you pay for at "Bubba's" tire shop, apparently my directions as to which pairs of tires go on which wheels didn't make it through the $5 a wheel mount and balance.

Isaac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:53 am 

oh boy...

another x6, this one with even less appeal than most of the others i've seen. so will this one be seeing the work that it needs or are we going to be looking at 6 pages of updates that consist of rolling it in and out of your driveway for pics of 2cm ride height changes and different junkyard wheels?

seriously though, it's VERY rare to see an x6 done the right way here. please don't disappoint.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:30 am 

Period correct wheels, 5-speed, better suspension, not much else is needed for a pleasant to drive x6, eh cheesecake?

In all honesty, this is a $250 daily beater that will serve it's purpose admirably and with zero fucks given. If I wanted "done the right way," I would be working on the FB there, or the 2g Leone coupe, or the Hilux...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:29 am 

bummer. i see the potential in some of the pics that come from overseas owners and to be fair we got the d in the a in terms of what we have to start with vs. what they're working with... but its always disappointing to see an x6 with stock or no bumpers, shit paint, dgaf attitude.

jameson and lloyd had the x6 formula covered in 2 divergent style paths, it wouldn't take much to do some amazing things. mostly overnighting parts from japan etc.. etc...

here's some inspiration:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:04 am 

Oh yeah, usdm park bench bumpers make everyone sad. The point here is that this car is in no way even remotely worth spending the time to make look like any of those examples. If I was starting with a minty <100kmi car then you can bet your ass I would be spending the time to make a beautiful example of x6 grace. This chassis is a haggard, 3xxkmi, rusty arched beater that is getting a new lease on life through suspension/5-speed/driveability mods.

Years ago I owned a mint 120kmi two tone x6, it was much too clean to molest and I regretted selling it for quite a while. When this white car popped up on the local CL I jumped on it for something pleasant to daily, mod a bit, and not be concerned about where I park it, or having to drive down 20mi of paint murdering gravel county road. Should a clean chassis come along I would have no qualms about swapping all the suspension/drivetrain from this car over, but as they are few are far between these days I don't see that happening.

Isaac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:02 pm 

since you dgaf about this chassis, you could use it as a canvas to learn bodywork. since you worked the arches pretty heavily to fit your wheels (no shit to give you, they kind of remind me of the odd 90's style tri-spokes you see on jdm x7s sometimes), you could learn to bondo and smooth them to get the flared arch style. or just slap on some fiberglass ebay flares with rivets and sealer.

since paint is like 90% prep work, if you spent a weekend block sanding the whole thing, masking it off nicely and shooting some spray or building up roll-on enamel coats, you could theoretically wind up with a car that looks badass from 10 ft. if you invest more time wetsanding and buffing, you might even have a job better than the assholes at maaco could pull off. i did okay with my miata, and i intend to paint it again here soon. my investment for the first go was basically 2x cans of primer, a roll of tape and 5x cans of rustoleum.

as for the bumpers, you can make the chrome nissan hardbody bumper work on an x6. it's been done and looks much, much better. thats like $25-50 investment.

these are just some suggestions, if you prefer the demo derby look then do your thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:13 pm 

i think it's great you've given the car a new lease on life & are driving it instead of having it crushed. i enjoyed reading your opening description of finding & getting the car, illicited several chuckles & a smile from me.

it's nice to have a beater where you don't have to worry about where to park or have a fit if you get a door ding or scrape or whatnot.
my husband & i had our 1st AW11 MR2 project that was a similar thing. i can't tell you how much fun we had in that rusty, beat to hell by at least 6 accidents chassis.
not every single car needs to be a show/trailer/resto queen, some can just be enjoyed for what they are before they hit the automotive boneyard.

99 SXV20 Camry - TRD Grocery Getter
89 AW11 MR2 Hardtop - SOLD

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:13 pm 

I love it for what it is. More pics especially when the correct front springs come in!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:19 pm 

The correct front springs came in today, got them installed, made a guess at ride height and lowered it off the jack... 1.5in of oil pan clearance... That is never going to work. After a bit of measuring we end up with 2.25in of pan clearance, and roughly level rockers (well the parts that aren't smashed anyway). I'd like to say this pic and update is just for Lolumad... but I changed ride height by more than 2cm :(

If people are interested I will post the pics and part numbers for building needle bearing top hats to go against cheap camber plates?

Isaac

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:04 am 

Victrix wrote:
The correct front springs came in today, got them installed, made a guess at ride height and lowered it off the jack... 1.5in of oil pan clearance... That is never going to work. After a bit of measuring we end up with 2.25in of pan clearance, and roughly level rockers (well the parts that aren't smashed anyway). I'd like to say this pic and update is just for Lolumad... but I changed ride height by more than 2cm :(

If people are interested I will post the pics and part numbers for building needle bearing top hats to go against cheap camber plates?

Isaac

Interested in the top hat info! Car looks rad!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:15 am 

haha. thanks for the update.

if i were local to you, i'd come help you prep and paint it in exchange for a bottle of scotch.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]