#
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:47 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Reattach hood skin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:27 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

So, the hood skin/metal on my corolla isn't completely glued to the hood frame anymore and I would like to know what are some recomendations people have for fixing this.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Reattach hood skin
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:07 pm 

The glue spots are I believe to prevent vibrations through the skin and stiffen it up by tying the center to the frame. On my (and practically everyone ele's) 1st gen celica deck lid, every one of those spots corresponded to a rotting hole through the skin. Be sure what you use is closed cell so it doesn't hold moisture (shame on you Toyota). At the restoration shop I used to work for, there was concern about the glue spots holding down that area during heat expansion and causing divets which would show through the paint (mega-dollar show car where this would matter). On a few occasions, we used automotive urethane windshield sealant in the correct spots after removing to old stuff, allowed it to fully cure, then sliced through each spot to give it an unrestricted rest point. One which wouldn't prevent the skin from expanding in the sun and causing dimples. If you do go this route, give the urethane ample time to cure as it is the messiest stuff known to man.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:51 am 

You are talking about those little hard like foam spots? Image

Just ignore the horrible under coating around there. If it is falling apart there it is doing the same in the trunk lid and the roof bows and other places. I think after doing a little bit of research that I think that it is. It is a foam from 3m but any nvh foam like it should work. Don't use seam sealer or urethane windshield as it will cause dimples.
http://3mcollision.com/products/sound-d ... 04274.html
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebse ... 6E666666--

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:36 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Thats what I am talking about. Have to give that stuff a try. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:34 pm 

I talked with a service rep and was told that nvh would work as an anti-flutter materiel, but they did not know if it had adhesive strength to pull the frame upward. I hope that the gap is just from it drying out/ rotting out. Also check the bows the support the roof and anywhere else that might use this. This stuff is good to use if you have trunk rattle from a big bass system. The only thing is it is not cheap, and is around 80$ is the cheapest I could find. Most of that cost is for the gun to apply the product. I would see If a local body shop has a gun you can use.

Note: 3m sells two kinds of this foam I don't know and could not get an answer if 1 was better then the other or was stronger.
http://3mcollision.com/3m-flexible-foam-08463.html

I been searching all day and found 20 different answers but the over whelming thing was don't use panel adhesive or urethane glues. The foam has the proper flex and wont ripple the sheet metal. I'm not sure if it is strong enough to pull a sagging frame up or pull a bowing hood skin down. I do know it is used on the door panels on my Saturn to prevent rattles from the plastic skins and it stuck them on pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:35 pm 

Ok yes I have found that this is indeed the proper stuff to use.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthre ... ost6144103
Quote:
if you want to do it yourself, you can order the same material they called out in TSB from bodyshops, or ebay or other internet means. I thinking about doing it so I don't have to bring it in and wait 6 hours for it to dry at the dealer, 3M-34274 (4274 is the one in the TSB) is the smaller bottle, I have the 2 part mixer dispenser at work so I'm going to do it myself.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]