#
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 15   [ 286 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Bellet of the ball!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:01 pm 

Here is a little something for Nakazoto and anyone else fixing up a Bellett:

Bellett / Wasp RM:
(Temporary only)

http://www.3sgte.org/Bellett/Bellett Wasp RM.pdf

Edit:
You will have to copy-paste the link.
The forum software doesn't like the space in the PDF filename.

Note, I only have this one. No others unfortunately.

Last edited by ToyGuy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:40 pm 

that's sweet! anything for a Gemini?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:52 pm 

Two weekends ago, I genuinely wanted to get my paint on and finish up the primer on all the panels. It wasn't in the cards though as it poured rain all weekend. Then, this past weekend, the forecast was for rain all day Saturday and Sunday again. The forecast did not disappoint on Saturday, with massive amounts of water falling from the sky. Sunday though, things got better. The wind was ferocious, but there was no moisture in the air (despite there being some very threatening looking clouds), which means I could finally get some paint sprayed. So, we pulled out the spray gun, started mixing paint and got to spraying!

I started with the driver side door. You can actually see at the front of the door where my body work leaves a little to be desired. This is the worst spot on the entire car actually. I will try to get that line closer to being straight, but short of cutting out the steel, bending new steel perfectly to shape and welding it in, I'm afraid it's always going to look a little off.

Next up was the underside of the hood. This turned out really nice and looks fantastic!

I also hit the bottom of some of the smaller parts while I was at it.

Once the underside of the hood was finished, I flipped it around and slapped some paint on the front side. Here it is mid way through painting.

Then it was time to tackle the other door. The backside of both doors got a proper three coats of paint near the edges and a light, single coat of paint in the center.

I also started on the bottom side of the trunk panel.

Here's the hood with three coats of fresh paint on it!

Since I had finished up the other small parts, it was time to tackle the remaining hinges and parts.

Here's the top of the trunk panel. I sprayed a little thick in a few places on this panel, so I ended up with a few runs that will have to be sanded out later. First paint runs of the job though, so I'd say I've done alright.

Here's the passenger door all finished up!

Then we started on the final pieces, the two front fenders. My wonderful fiancée (yup, you read that right, fiancée!) was itching to give painting a shot as well, so, since she did all of the sanding and work on the front passenger side fender, I let her go to town on that fender!

She did really well once she got into a groove!

She only got slightly thick one or two places and ended up with some slight runs, but really, she did an amazing job for her first time holding a paint gun ever.

Here's the bottom of the passenger fender that was all rusted out and had new steel welded in. It looks pretty fantastic to me!

Both front fenders turned out really well actually, especially considering that they were both scrap.

And the entire car is now one color! I feel like a major milestone has been passed, like surviving until Thursday in the work week. Hopefully wetsanding will go really smoothly with minimal additional bodywork. With any luck, the car will be completely painted by the end of the month. Then the real fun starts!

Thanks for reading guys!
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:48 am 
JNC Enthusiast

LOVE this project...........just as much as your other ones lol.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:43 pm 

Car looks great mate :tu:
Congratulations on your engagement as well, nice work finding a missus who seems to be as into old cars as you are, that's the dream :lol:

2 x N360 restoration projects

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:48 pm 

looking good mate! looks alot better with 1 colour on it (even if it is primer!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 am 

Subscribed and "in" for updates! Love the build. Love the 360 build as well. :tu:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:36 pm 

Thanks for the comments everybody! I'm pretty excited to see it in one solid color as well!

I tackled a little wet-sanding this weekend. I'm wet-sanding it with 400 grit, which is a little rough for places like edges, but just about perfect for cleaning up stuff like drips and rough application of paint.

Here I am halfway through wet-sanding the roof.

As much of a pain as it is to wet-sand, the results are quite nice. You end up with supreme smoothness. I could probably use a little more on the roof, but it's looking pretty good at moment!

I started on the passenger fender and worked my way around the back over to the driver side fender. Both fenders cleaned up really well and slight waves in the body work really seem to level out with a bit wet-sanding. My body work isn't perfectly smooth, but with a dark, solid color, it'll hide most of my lack of skill.

I wasn't alone downstairs either. My lovely fiancée picked up some sand paper and knocked out the trunk for me!

I sanded down the driver side fender, which highlighted some high spots in the metal...

And my better half sanded down the passenger side fender.

It's hard to tell the difference a little wet-sanding makes in photos, but the second you run your hand along the surface, it becomes hugely evident how awesome wet-sanding is. We've still got to sand the doors, hood and trunk as well as a few smaller pieces, but after that, it's time to spray some color!

Everything's been pretty busy lately so I haven't been able to get much work done on it, but I've got two four day weekends coming up, so I fully expect there to be color on it by the end of those!

Thanks again for the comments everybody!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:17 pm 

it's great to see how far it's come already, but it'll be nice to see it in color. I can't remember, did you ever decide on what color?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:05 pm 

Congrats David! You've gotten into the home stretch! With any luck I'll see it in person this summer!

Edit: sorry I use so many exclamation marks, just excited to see it at this stage!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:09 pm 

Thanks for the comments guys! Thermos, you're more than welcome to come check it out!

Alright, it's time for a rather large update. I had a nice four day weekend this last weekend so I decided to dedicate all four days to the Bellett.

Day 1:

First things first, I had to finish up wet-sanding to make sure that everything was ready for the onslaught of color.

All the little pieces got hit with the sandpaper too.

Everything's pretty much ready to rock!

It's really difficult to see, but the pinholes in the putty on the roof got filled and then sanded back to smooth. You can hardly tell there was holes there in the first place!

I realized that I didn't have a very good picture of my make shift paint booth, so I stepped outside and snapped a quick shot.

As you can see, it fills pretty much the whole garage with just a little bit of room on the side to allow a walkway to the back for the air compressor.

Day 2:

We got our first can of paint, some hardener, a bottle of some kind of paint stabilizer (not sure what it was) and some paint mixing cups.

Hide-san didn't have enough dark blue in stock to give me enough paint for the whole car, so this can is just for the back side of parts (ie. underside of hood, backside of doors, etc.). So, I laid out all the parts to get sprayed and got prepped and ready to rock!

My lovely fiancée was in charge of mixing the paint correctly and I'm glad she was because she had it down to a science!

The color of the... color.

First coat going on! My technique is still crap and I ended up with a lot of light spots. In my defense, those light spots were almost impossible to see in my improperly lit garage but showed up nice and clear on the camera.

Moving on to the doors.

Using all Panarock products.

As with the surfacer, the middle of the back side of the doors gets only a light coat while the edges get full proper coats.

We had a small casualty and that was that a small bit of thinner found its way onto my fiancée's phone cover. So, since we had paint, this was now on the list for some paint coats as well!

The front face, thankfully, was spared.

At the end of the first day, I was exhausted and my mask had clearly done its job!

Here's my hands after some heavy washing! (They look far worse now as I type this.)

Continuing with Day 3 in the next post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:25 pm 

Continuing from the previous post.

Day 3:

We got all the paint for the rest of vehicle, so it was time to flip the pieces around around and paint the fun side.

That poor little paint gun has never worked so hard in its life, haha.

Everything looking pretty good!

You can see a light blue spot in the middle of the hood in this picture, but that's actually a reflection of the blue tarp that's hung over the body.

Even the smaller parts turned out pretty good.

Hood all finished up.

Doors and trunk all finished up.

The color looks super dull inside, so I grabbed a piece that was dry and took it out into the sun for a few pictures.

You can see that the blue really pops once it's in sunlight.

Not bad for a solid color.

More to come in the next post!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:37 pm 

Continuing from the previous post.

Day 4:

I started by moving all the extra pieces outside so they wouldn't catch any overspray from the body. It also gave me enough room to maneuver around the body. I got the parts a little dirty though. They still are in desperate need of a wet-sand as they aren't very smooth and look quite uneven. I'm really hoping that the wet-sand helps even them out a bit.

Turns out, 100 yen shop measuring cups don't hold up to the forces of thinner very well at all!

My goal with the body was to paint the engine bay, interior, trunk and any spots covered up by the front fenders first, then set the fenders on and paint the rest.

Painting the interior was probably the hardest thing to do. It the paint fumes just hung around and made it difficult to see. Fortunately it all gets covered up with trim pieces and carpet.

Here was our exhaust fan setup, doing its job.

Moving on to the engine bay.

Looking pretty good after the first coat.

In the middle of all of this, I managed to get a few coats of paint onto the girl's cell phone cover. Turned out pretty good!

Sorry for the blurry shot, but here the interior, trunk and engine bay are all done and I'm getting ready to start in on the exterior.

Starting with the A, B, and C pillars.

Then moving up to the roof.

Almost done with half.

Finished up the roof and moved on to the rear fender.

Pictures start getting a bit sparse from here on out as we were starting to get more focused on just finishing the job instead of documenting it. This was largely due to the fact that my compressor was starting to overheat and was seriously unhappy and that the poor little spray gun decided to break. The needle was completely jammed due to one of the seals failing. I had to completely dismantle it, remove the seal (there were fortunately two seals), clean everything extremely well, and put it all back together. After that short little crisis, we got back to work but mostly neglected the camera.

My fantastic fiancée was adamant that she get to keep working on her fender, so she grabbed the gun and got to spraying!

Pretty excellent job if you ask me!

The sun was setting fast, but we finished up! We used almost all of the paint we received and got a nice color down on the entire car!

I don't have much in the way of completed pictures, because we were both completely exhausted, working straight from about 9:30 in the morning until 7:30 at night.

I have another four day weekend coming up next weekend (gotta love golden week), so expect many more pictures as we assemble and wet-sand the way out of it!

Thanks again for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:54 pm 

you guys are doing awesome. this is going to look sooooo good. :tu:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:24 am 

awesome work guys! nice to see your partner getting into it too!
the cars going to look amazing!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:18 pm 
Mild Cam

Car is looking incredible, David. Congratulations on your engagement!

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:09 pm 

Thanks for the comments guys!

I had a nice 5 day holiday (got to love Golden Week), but unfortunately, nothing went smoothly, as seems to be par for the course. Before I started anything though, I went shopping.

That's a buffer, buffing pads and some compound. This is all new for me so I still don't have a clue what I'm doing, but after talking to a buddy, he suggested the waffle-like buffing pads. Before I could put any of them to use though, we had to start wet-sanding.

This of course high-lighted some problems, like runs...

... and areas that eluded the paint gun.

So, here's where things started to go downhill quickly. I sprayed some extra paint on to the trouble spots and then once again set out on my wet-sanding adventure. The problem was, my original spray technique was completely awful. The orange peel was so severe that in order to sand it back smooth enough, I was stripping almost all the paint off.

Ya, that's not good. This was mainly happening on the hood, doors and trunk as they were the worst. I didn't have much paint left either. So, I roughed the car up with 1000 grit sandpaper and sprayed on two new, very heavy coats. It turns out when I was spraying the first time I had either too much distance or too much pressure and the paint was spraying too dry. This time I kept the pressure lower and stayed much closer to the car.

As you can see, this time the paint went on much smoother with minimal orange peel.

That's how it should have looked from the beginning.

The roof was probably the best spot of the previous paint, but I applied some new paint to it just to be safe.

Overall, I think it ended up much better looking.

On the driver side rear fender and door though I got some runs. I blame this on the fact that the lighting in my garage is really poor on that side and that there isn't a huge amount of space between the wall and the car. So, I tried several methods to bring them back, starting with a razor blade that's been bent to have a curve. This worked pretty good for getting the big drip spots, right up until I got a little overzealous and went through. So, I started sanding with 1000 grit and brought the whole panel back to smooth without, thankfully, going through the paint. Here you can see the wet-sanded panel and the hole masked off.

We mixed up a cap full of paint and I hand applied it over the spot. After letting it cure for about an hour or so, I peeled the tape off to see how it went. Those spots on the right side of the picture that look like I sanded through the paint are actually just left over residue from the tape.

Not too bad, I think with some wet sanding I should be able to make that little mistake disappear. Next, I wanted to test an entire panel from wet-sanding to buffing to see if the paint would be alright. So, I did the trunk lid as it's pretty small and the easiest to repaint if it all goes to hell. After smoothing the entire panel with 1000 grit and then again with 1500 grit. I busted out my buffer and got to work. I was very pleased with the results.

Mirror finish!

Not bad at all. I finished that up on the 5th day of my vacation as the sun was on its way down. So I didn't manage to get anything else buttoned up like that. I know what I need to do now though, so there will definitely be better progress soon!

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:56 pm 
Mild Cam

Trunklid looks great, David! Nice work! Can't wait to see how the rest of the paint turns out.

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:47 am 

Eagerly awaiting pictures once you've cut back the rest of the car and reassembled the body.

Top stuff so far! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:34 pm 

Thanks for the comments Cam and Ill! Come to think of it, "Cam and Ill" would make one hell of a band name, haha! I am also eagerly awaiting what it will look like once it's fully cut back and polished.

I only managed to get a very minor amount of work done this weekend due to heading north on a short day trip Sunday. I did get some wetsanding done on Saturday though. I knocked down the edges of the patch I painted on earlier to see how well we did.

As you can see, the paint isn't nearly as thick as the surrounding paint, but there is still quite a bit of sanding with 1500 grit to be done, so it should be much smoother and closer when I'm finished. Also I thought I would take a picture of what exactly I'm going for when I sand. The paint inevitably had quite a bit of orange peel. Which when lightly sanded looks like this.

Sand it back further and you end up with a perfectly smooth surface like this.

Now this needs to be sanded with 1500 to pull out the scratches and then buffed to really shine. Of course, those two actions are hugely time consuming, so I'll be at this for a while.

We now interrupt your regularly scheduled Bellett update programming for a short rabbit break.

On Sunday my better half and I loaded up with her sister and set out headed north for a small town called Kaga in Ishikawa ken. The reason we were headed to this particular tiny town was that there is a rabbit park there where maybe 60 rabbits are running free. Stupidly, we didn't get an overall picture of the place, but this picture gives an idea of how the rabbits are allowed to just run around and mingle with guests (note, the giant dogs in the background are statues, not real dogs).

They even had a set time that you could hold a rabbit, which was quite fun.

Now we have a rabbit at home and if we wanted to pet a rabbit, we wouldn't drive 250 kilometers to do so, we'd just open her cage. The main reason we went to this place was to pet and see first hand a breed of rabbits called Flemish Giants. Flemish Giants are particularly huge rabbits ranging in weight from around 10 kg (20 lbs) to 25 kg (55 lbs)! You can see just how big the rabbits are in this picture (note, I have no idea who the kid is).

They are genuinely huge rabbits, but really, they are probably the most docile breed of rabbits there is. They love to just laze around and you can pet them literally all day long. They do love to eat though.

Again, not sure who the kid is, but it must seem like he's feeding a monster. The kid and the rabbit probably weigh in at about the same!

After playing with and petting the giant rabbits for a few hours, we grabbed some lunch and set off back home. Now any trip on the highways of Japan isn't complete without the random supercar sighting. While we did see the local Lamborghini club headed the other way (nothing like 10 Lambos screaming by in the opposite direction), it was this that really caught my attention.

Seeing a Jaguar XK120 is rare in and of itself, but seeing one cruising down the highway is just flat out amazing!

Not far ahead of this guy was this little gem as well.

While the MGA is no where near as rare or as exciting as an XK120, it's still a very cool car.

We also caught site of this building off the side of the highway.

While it may seem like a boring square building with some orange kanji on it, I was jumping up and down in excitement. Here's why:

We somehow stumbled across Dome (of Dome Zero fame) headquarters. Dome hasn't attempted to make any street cars since the Dome Zero, but they are still very active in the racing scene. Unfortunately, it was Sunday so there was no way we'd be able to sneak our way in and take a look around, but this is just one of those places you don't expect to see on your way to go pet some Usagi.

Regularly scheduled Bellett updates will resume as soon as I get my butt back downstairs and get some quality work done!

Thanks for reading guys!
Cheers,
David

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 15   [ 286 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next