#
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:15 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 64 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: JNC status abused?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:46 am 

moominsean wrote:
Just think, some day this boring car will be JNC status...yeah hard to say what the cutoff is for the term. But I think eventually it will be used to define cars up to a certain year, maybe the year every car began to look exactly the same.

Exactly, that's really more of the mindset I have, when automakers in the 90s started shifting to econoboxes and cars slowly all started to look similar and by 2000 they really did all look the same. It's really a matter of the era when cars had personalities you could say, whereas now they still don't differ much at all.

77 Colt Galant Wagon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:14 pm 

john wrote:
UtahSleeper wrote:
samoht wrote:
As far as this site goes, there is a very clear and easy to apply rule: any Japanese car made over 25 years ago is 'Nostalgic'. I'm pretty sure this is official site policy. Therefore there IS a clear agreed meaning, at least around here.

I dont think that is the policy since there are cars that are 90 and newer on this site.

It is in fact the policy around here. But...

I know there are a few cars in the Honda section that are "too new". But honestly the Honda section is so slow that some minor exceptions have been made.

But we do strive to keep the '92 Camry builds weeded out. :P

time to boso a 91 camry then...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:08 am 

RaptorReed wrote:
moominsean wrote:
Just think, some day this boring car will be JNC status...yeah hard to say what the cutoff is for the term. But I think eventually it will be used to define cars up to a certain year, maybe the year every car began to look exactly the same.

Exactly, that's really more of the mindset I have, when automakers in the 90s started shifting to econoboxes and cars slowly all started to look similar and by 2000 they really did all look the same. It's really a matter of the era when cars had personalities you could say, whereas now they still don't differ much at all.

New cars are no less different to each other now, than cars were in the 70's.
In the same way that we now look at every mundane car from the 60s/70's with some level of fondness; there will be people in the future doing the same with today's cars. There's no doubt. Its been happening forever.
Imagine asking someone in the 70's if they ever thought a KE30 or 120Y/B210 would ever be a classic..

Give it another 30 years. Theres a good chance you'll look back at today, and miss the times when you could *amazingly* manually change the gear ratios yourself from the drivers seat; or steer the car wherever you wanted.
That 10th gen Corolla will be different to everything on the road; and remind of what it was like back in 2013...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:25 am 

Well hopefully in 30yrs I'll still be rolling in my current J-tin. :mrgreen:. I really could care less about newer cars lol, but that is my opinion, I just have no interest in them other than for a rental car. :lol:

77 Colt Galant Wagon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:21 am 

Nostalgic [no-stal-jik] adj. : Experiencing or exhibiting nostalgia, a sentimental or wistful yearning for the happiness felt in a former place, time, or situation.

I will forego defining what "Japanese" and "Car" means as I'm sure we (for the most part) are adults here.

"Nostalgic" cars are not necessarily "Classic" cars.

Any car can be "Nostalgic" if it can remind you or define a time or era gone by. Even a lowly '88 Camry reminds me of cheaper gas, my best friends Mom's car, New Wave, Die Hard, Rain Man, Robert Palmer, etc etc. It's not a factual thing, it's what it can "evoke".

A "Classic" car is a term used by the DMV (generally 20-40 years old, depending on the state) or car clubs like the Classic Car Club of America. Check out this list http://www.classiccarclub.org/grand_classics/approved_classics.html

Good luck trying to find anything Japanese on there. :td:

The rules here are clearly defined in the "About" section of this site. And they go by the generally accepted "25 year old rule"

However, I feel your pain. Just remember that "bandwagon jumpers" are just that. They don't last long anyway. Once the next train comes by they'll jump on that one. They may even ruin some tin on they way in or out, but the die hard's will always be around…to take the car they messed up and bring her back to life or used what's left to maintain another one. :tu:

Last edited by 47hako on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:38 pm 

Quote:
However, I feel your pain. Just remember that "bandwagon jumpers" are just that. They don't last long anyway. Once the next train comes by they'll jump on that one. They may even ruin some tin on they way in or out, but the die hard's will always be around…to take the car they messed up and bring her back to life or used what left to maintain another one. :tu:

well said. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:48 am 

10 years ago, the mkii supra I drove did not get looks. Kids in my school laughed at it for beig N/A and slow compared to the "10 second" supra from fast and the furious. Even got the "not a real Supra" comment from most of the "JDM" kids. My car was barely 20 years old at the time...which is as old as the MKIV is now.

Now I can't take my "new" mkii supra out without people giving compliments, thumbs up, horn honks or asking me questions about it. The longer it's been since it was commonplace to see something on the road, the more nostalgic it is to see a nice example.

Lets not be snobs here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:29 pm 

Peterson wrote:
There's lots of people on here with young Japanese vehicles that they invest some money on, many of them are expecting to own something mature or even JDM at a later level. Personally I haven't got an issue with 1988 vehicles being on here or indeed a '91 VR4 when it's 25 years of age but you do not need to put in on fantastic want to ! . . . . .

Didn't I say that ?

DmK66 wrote:
There's plenty of people on here with younger Japanese cars that they spend time and money on, many of them are hoping to own something older or even JDM at a later stage.
Personally I haven't got a problem with 1988 cars being on here or indeed a '91 VR4 when it's 25 years old but you dont have to put in on if you dont want to !

Yep. Only better and less spammy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:55 pm 

You can easily argue either side of the argument. It is kinda funny the younger car guys argue against and the older Japanese car guys argue for. Ill stick with chrome for jnc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:54 pm 

I think abuse is kind of strong. I could see the term being abused if it was for some sort of marketing. But, a guy that maybe doesn't understand the accepted definition, but is super excited about his '89 Camry build should be welcomed. Bring him in and educate him about JNC's. The Camry has potential. It was a common place car that many families have had. Memories are attached to these cars. They become cheap used cars and they are destined to be restored and modded and loved.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:28 pm 

"put in on fantastic want to"?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:36 am 

opelboy76 wrote:
"put in on fantastic want to"?

You're so out of touch, Opelboy. That's how all the programming enhanced spam generator kids are speaking these days.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:06 pm 

guess I'm just old. :(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:22 pm 

Really the only people who should be concerned about seeing JNC as an abused term are the owners of this website, I would have thought. I'm interested in all sorts of different cars so as a result I'm spread onto all sorts of car forums and a consistent theme is people going to great efforts to try and "officially" determine specific rules on what determines the category a certain sort of car goes into, usually via arbitrary rules that they start having to make weird exceptions and case rules for, until the whole thing becomes a great big mess of people trying to argue a case for whatever for probably fairly insignificant reasons.

Here's an example of what happens. Let's say right, (using this as an example, not a definition!) a JNC is basically not a 90s car, so we set an age limit. You can only call something a JNC if it's pre-1990. Right? We're all agreed. We like 60s swoop, 70s cokebottle, 80s boxes, but not these new-fangled 90s cars.

So we can't have this '92 model Laurel then, even though it seemed people on here were fairly interested in it when I got it and by all intents and purposes is a car from the mid-80s:
1992 Nissan Laurel 1800 LPG Taxi by Dan Hirst?, on Flickr

At that point you then say "well, some people just have to lose out" meaning you pointlessly exclude people on a "letter of the law" basis or you start making rules that it applies from when that generation was originally built, which means you'll be having to accept some surprisingly modern cars which were launched just before the turn of the 90s and lasted a long way into there, with some people being irked about it but the rules say it's OK so tough luck - you made your bed, now lie in it.

And you could do rules on what something looks like, but that's a can of worms in itself. Chrome bumpers is a popular one.

Mazda 323 Hatchback SP advance information 1979 by GoldScotland71, on Flickr
"Oh, they've got chrome bumpers" "Yeah, but I've got the sports model with the black bumpers" "GET OUT"

Never mind all the 60s painted bumper Kei-car stuff, or the debumpered race cars, or plastic bumpers with large chrome inserts, or plastichrome, or whatever other baffling and weird exceptions to the rule you can make up.

The alternative is that people just drive around and tinker with their cars and not try to worry about it that much, because most people will just think a cool car is a cool car and aren't that bothered about carefully slotting it into some kind of category. I get the impression from the front pages that the site owners are of this mindset.

Let's face it, if something's not really interesting to the people on this forum, it'll be reflected in people not talking about their car and their thread disappearing down the bottom of the page. Relax!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:08 pm 

no chrome, no care.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:31 pm 

the more I think about it, I don't really care about anything after about 1982, with a few exceptions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:31 am 

jace wrote:
no chrome, no care.

If it came with chrome or the "option" for chrome.

Not Saying exclude anyone, this began and merely commenting and asking what defines since I had seen people try to convince there friends that there 88 maxima was cooler then there evo or what ever because it was "nostalgic" there will always be posers and wannabes in every crowd. I just think it sucks. Soon the 88-91 prelude and legacy douches will be here

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:25 am 

I love the 60-70's, they still had a bit of craftsmanship and uniqueness that I think most 80's and 90's cars lacked but there was still some 80's and 90's cars that were cool for different reasons. They aren't the kind of car I generally think of when I think " Japanese Nostalgic or classic" but some people do. I don't think the scene would we as cool if it wasn't so diverse, certain cars from certain era's look good when done in certain styles and I like how some of those styles will influence people with different cars. And if people are on here because they like vintage Japanese cars but own a 90's 300zx I'm not against them being here or them contributing to the site.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:52 pm 

It really is one of those "eye of the beholder" things. Heck, I love the Nissan Pao, it's practically already a JNC to me!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:14 pm 
Mild Cam

Wow. JNC is the LAST place I'd expect to see this sort of elitism...it's certainly something I've never experienced before, and I hang out on Mustang and Porsche forums. JNC has always been the most welcoming, supportive community I've ever been a part of. If someone's passionate about their car and committed to preserving/restoring/improving it, I don't care if it meets some hair-splitting bulls*** definition of what some too-cool-for-school a**hole thinks is "nostalgic." Get off your high horse and go play somewhere else; nobody needs your s***** attitude. It's the same attitude that has turned me off to so many online forums and local clubs. :td:

(looks like Mild Cam ain't so mild today :oops:)

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 64 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next