#
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: searched, no results found. Question on wheels...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 am 

what's the widest anyone here is running, as far as 13" tires, on a te51?

with a 13x7 ET0, how wide tires are you guys getting away with without rubbing or any other issues?

I tried using the search but it didn't yield the results I was looking for. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: searched, no results found. Question on wheels...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:36 pm 

Your best bet would probably be to put your corolla up on stands, mount the wheels on the car without tires then compress the suspension by jacking up the wheel with a floor jack. See how the wheel sits in comparisson to your fender, from there you should be able to take some measurements and figure out how much room you have between your fenders and the wheel, then you can select a tire size that fits that criteria.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:45 pm 

Thanks! Good tip. I was actually thinking of doing something similar - just mocking the wheels up to see how close the wheels by themselves would be to the car, or shocks, etc.

There is no way of knowing for sure since some tires bulge out slightly and on the fronts it can be a bit deceptive with turns under load but I would agree with you this approach should certainly help give me a fairly good estimate.

I will try this for sure once the wheels arrive.

Can anyone else offer any actual direct experience with this or what is on your cars right now?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:22 pm 

You can always do a bit of fender rolling or Hammer/Dolly work to give you a a bit more space. Sorry for my ignorance but is it a macpherson style suspension set up in the front? if so maybe you could also add a slight touch of negative camber if you get some camber plates?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:37 pm 

It's just the stock factory setup and suspension. I'm not looking to do anything fancy other than put on some nicer wheels to dress up the look. No racing or other extreme applications, so I'm not looking to modify the car or fenders in any way. Negative camber would work if the concern was more towards the outer edges - My concern is more for rubbing against the inside.

I def appreciate the feedback though! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:23 pm 

With camber plates, the top side of your strut is bolted to them, so the struts tilt inward towards the engine bay when you add negative camber, making the top end of the wheel tilt in aswell so you would have more fender clearance as a side effect. But I can respect having a stock setup, you want to keep it plain and simple. You'll just have to see what you are up against! hopefully the 13's tuck nicely.

No problem man.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:39 pm 

marsmann wrote:
with a 13x7 ET0, how wide tires are you guys getting away with without rubbing or any other issues?

What country are you in? It's going to matter as far as what's even available. Unless of course you're willing to spend a fairly big chunk of money importing some tires from Europe.

The widest readily available tire here in the states is a 205/60-13, which should be spot on for your application. But will look a little kooky if you don't lower it. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:26 am 

thanks guys! great input.

john, I am only looking for something up to 205, no greater. 195 will suit me fine as well. just wanted something wide enough for the 13x7 width.

I am here in the states.

I suspect you are right about the ride height - I may have to drop it just a tad so the wheels fill the wells nicely and won't look 'kooky' as you mentioned.

Who knows - maybe I'll get crazy and do some suspension mods depending on the effect I get! I guess unless someone is running this precise configuration on a te51 (i.e. stock suspension, height and running 13x7 ET0 on 205/60r13s) I will find out soon enough! I just didnt want to buy 205s first only to find they would rub.... maybe I'll go 195 if I can find them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:41 pm 

185/60 (or 70) r13's will fit too, and not be too ballooney. I know the 60's you can get semi slick, and then with the 70s you can get street tires.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:58 pm 

marsmann wrote:
john, I am only looking for something up to 205, no greater. 195 will suit me fine as well. just wanted something wide enough for the 13x7 width... I guess unless someone is running this precise configuration on a te51 (i.e. stock suspension, height and running 13x7 ET0 on 205/60r13s) I will find out soon enough!

I had one with a very similar set-up, it ran a 13x7 +20 with a 205/60-13 tire. Rubbed the struts up front, but certainly had room to move out (as in closer a zero offset wheel). My money says worst-case-scenario you'll need to do a slight roll on the rear fender lips to prevent rubbing on bumps.

badusmaximus wrote:
185/60 (or 70) r13's will fit too, and not be too ballooney.

But it sounds to me like he wants the widest possible tire he can fit?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:39 am 

Quote:
But it sounds to me like he wants the widest possible tire he can fit?

Correct, with the exception that it doesn't require modifications of any kind on the vehicle. I'm still waiting for them to come in - when they do I will perform mock ups and take pics as it could be of benefit to someone else down the line...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:39 am 

On most older Japanese cars rolling the rear fender lips is required for just about anything wider than the stock tire. 8)

Meaning if you're not prepared to do that, you might want to quit while you're ahead. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:47 pm 

do you think it will be necessary to roll fenders even with stock height?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:05 pm 

marsmann wrote:
do you think it will be necessary to roll fenders even with stock height?

With a 205/60-13, doubtful. Only when you want to lower it will that be a necessity. :tu:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]