#
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 64 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: JNC status abused?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:26 pm 

Akio wrote:
It completely matters. What does jdm mean? Nothing anymore it's a loose term.

As far as this site goes, there is a very clear and easy to apply rule: any Japanese car made over 25 years ago is 'Nostalgic'. I'm pretty sure this is official site policy. Therefore there IS a clear agreed meaning, at least around here.

If you don't like the policy you can try to rally others to the cause of changing it, but this is the current policy.

Yes this means that e.g. next month the S13 Silvia gains Nostalgic status (March '88 intro). Honestly, there are so few around in Japan any more, and it was so big culturally, I feel that is appropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:01 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

samoht wrote:
As far as this site goes, there is a very clear and easy to apply rule: any Japanese car made over 25 years ago is 'Nostalgic'. I'm pretty sure this is official site policy. Therefore there IS a clear agreed meaning, at least around here.

I dont think that is the policy since there are cars that are 90 and newer on this site.

I just view it as if you don't like it, dont look at it. Also, figure out your own standards and meet them. My Alltrac is now 25, but I don't see it as JNC right now, so I dont post it here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:15 pm 

"It’s 2013, and that means a new lineup of vehicles has officially crossed the magical 25-year threshold to become nostalgics"
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2013/01 ... from-1988/

Sure, people can talk about their GT86s on the forums, no probs. But the site's official definition, and focus, is on cars >25 years old.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:40 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

I shake my head on retro rides when someone posts up something that's a 90's model, then I remember that their salt roads over there eat cars, whereas in Australia, you still see 70's cars around often.

For me, if it has chrome bumpers, it's a classic. If its from the 80's, it's retro. If it's a 1990's car, then it's just another second hand car.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:01 pm 

least a few people sorta agree... i was trying to be neutral but it just upsets me more and more every day reading on other JNC style forums...... there all by raw definition "classics" but what are truly Japanese classics? i agree with a few people its chrome... its kinda like you cant call a fox body mustang a "classic muscle car" i mean by some peoples thinking its well.. its an old car right? its kinda like the earlier mustangs right? so it should take its place next to a 64 mustang as a classic? pfffftt.. gimme a break...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:48 pm 

UtahSleeper wrote:
samoht wrote:

I dont think that is the policy since there are cars that are 90 and newer on this site.

It is in fact the policy around here. But...

I know there are a few cars in the Honda section that are "too new". But honestly the Honda section is so slow that some minor exceptions have been made.

But we do strive to keep the '92 Camry builds weeded out. :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:08 pm 
Administrator

^ austria is gnashing at you

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:49 pm 

Oh no confusion im not trying to make the forum like this.. its the general terminology of JNC vs say just some old car.. and the people that try to jump on a bandwagon because there uncle gave them a 89 maxima and they want to seem cool like they chose to drive a 89 maxima because its JNC. i don't care who or what posts, its a forum its going to have clueless people on it no matter what you do.

the question for discussion was simply "whats a japanese nostalgic car" vs everything else that just happens to be old and japanese

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:30 pm 

so, basically, regardless of age, where does the nostalgia come from?
that's kinda what you're getting at, right?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:28 pm 

I feel the nostalgia, is very subjective, which is nostalgic for you not for me ...

some take as a parameter the famous car, if a racer of birth, such as Z, or 2000GT "or lancer turbo, etc
others simply take the parameter that is old and restored with original parts, as the purists ...

and so on, then repeat is very subjective ..........

:oops: :tu:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:26 am 

RdS wrote:
Whether you like it or not; 25years+ and its a classic car - a nostalgic. Its a credit to both the owner and manufacturer that it has lasted this long.

As 25years is a rolling line, every year there's going to be people whining about how 'new' classic cars.
Like DMK66 said above; when I was a kid, 70's Japanese cars were considered cheap and forgettable - its only as time goes by they've become rarer and more desirable as a result. You may laugh at an 1988 camry now, but when the general public well-and-truly stops driving them, you may well get a kick out of seeing one.

I see car shows/cruises/meets advertised as 'pre-1975' or 'chrome-bumper' only. That sounds more the thing you're into.
..I personally have a thing for 80's Japanese cars.

I have to agree on ALL point's. OK I won't jump to put my '91 Delica on a build thread but I'm not going to hate on someone wanting to share the love of their car/project. I see a handful of early '90's Corollas on the road and I smile to see them still going even though they're not lighting any fires for me.
My '89 Starion hasn't any chrome as such but it's undeniably a Japanese Classic. There will be people who get Nostalgic over an early 90's car, can't hate them for it.

'85 Honda Civic Gold DX with Brown Top
'79 Mitsubishi Celeste GSR
'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:33 am 

Akio wrote:
least a few people sorta agree... i was trying to be neutral but it just upsets me more and more every day reading on other JNC style forums...... there all by raw definition "classics" but what are truly Japanese classics? i agree with a few people its chrome... its kinda like you cant call a fox body mustang a "classic muscle car" i mean by some peoples thinking its well.. its an old car right? its kinda like the earlier mustangs right? so it should take its place next to a 64 mustang as a classic? pfffftt.. gimme a break...

73 rb25 240z, body Bracing, cage, paint in progress.
78 Cressida Body, Paint, and 2jzgte in progress.

My preference would say these aren't REAL Nolstalgics the power plants are anything but Nostalgic but I'm not going to dismiss you and say you shouldn't be here. The cars are old enough and you are certainly passionate about them.

'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:11 am 

ewokracing wrote:
I shake my head on retro rides when someone posts up something that's a 90's model, then I remember that their salt roads over there eat cars, whereas in Australia, you still see 70's cars around often.

For me, if it has chrome bumpers, it's a classic. If its from the 80's, it's retro. If it's a 1990's car, then it's just another second hand car.

my 83 hr30 is 31 years old...i think it qualifies for classic in my book haha. (if you disagree, does the fact i have a carb'd l28 in it help haha) i say anything 30 years or older=classic IMO...does any of this really matter that much? nope :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:51 am 

Shoot, if the muscle car guys started calling cars like the '65 Mustang or the '69 Camaro classics by the '80s, then I think we deserve to call our '80s Japanese cars "nostalgic" at the very least.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:53 pm 

Akio wrote:
so.

reading posts on here i gotta say i get kinda annoyed.. what qualified as nostalgic? 89 honda preludes or a 91 mazda 626. just because its slightly old and Japanese does not make it "nostalgic" dont exactly fit the bill in my opinion.. neither do just about any car after 86 JUST in my opinion.

I do not want to alienate anyone or create a forum "elites" class. but I don't want JNC to be an abused term like JDM. lets set some standards here folks.

*i have to add that i have a 91 galant vr4 and its rare.. its japanese. but I do NOT consider that a JNC car because its from a different era in my opinion.*

I gotta agree. Some kids buys his first car like an 90 Accord and all of a sudden its some Classic Honda. Call me a snob, I can live with it. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:08 pm 

drive-by wrote:

73 rb25 240z, body Bracing, cage, paint in progress.
78 Cressida Body, Paint, and 2jzgte in progress.

My preference would say these aren't REAL Nolstalgics the power plants are anything but Nostalgic but I'm not going to dismiss you and say you shouldn't be here. The cars are old enough and you are certainly passionate about them.

Personal preference is everything sometimes, but really, I would still see those cars as Nostalgics, just either setup for racing or in the case of just general motor swaps, those fall into "RestoMod". Restored with new paint, but components such as suspension and powertrain are changed out in favor of newer, more modern parts, often with the aftermarket support and parts availability in mind vs the now harder to find and NLA parts for some of our cars. Just like there are Hot Rods (Restored and strictly period correct parts) and Street Rods (modified with newer parts, modern components), as long as the body hasn't changed entirely it's still a Nostalgic in my book.

Mitsubishi Garage, we're starting to see an occasional 91-92 Galant VR-4 pop up, but as time goes on, we don't pay much attention to them. They still got sometime before they are really welcomed in (Galant GSXs and Galant VR-4s are rare in the US sure, but that doesn't make them Nostalgic) it really depends upon the model, but also by the 90s most Japanese cars went pretty much FWD for everything and that is more of where I see the cutoff for JNC truly end with the except of the few exceptions for specific models.

77 Colt Galant Wagon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:41 pm 

in my opinion, my corolla ae92, can considered old school, must not be nostalgic....

this is the point of abuse the term "JNC".... :td:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:58 am 

i have a 91 Civic Si i daily drive.. i don't consider it to be even close to a "nostalgic". maybe in 10 years.. my 86 on the other hand, yes. which is strange cause they are basically the same cars. except the 91 i can find every part i want any time i want. the 86, not so much at all..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:02 am 

RaptorReed wrote:

Personal preference is everything sometimes, but really, I would still see those cars as Nostalgics, just either setup for racing or in the case of just general motor swaps, those fall into "RestoMod". Restored with new paint, but components such as suspension and powertrain are changed out in favor of newer, more modern parts, often with the aftermarket support and parts availability in mind vs the now harder to find and NLA parts for some of our cars. Just like there are Hot Rods (Restored and strictly period correct parts) and Street Rods (modified with newer parts, modern components), as long as the body hasn't changed entirely it's still a Nostalgic in my book.

Indeed a problem many of us face and overcome with newer parts and there is a place for it don't get me wrong. I have no choice with my own Sigma as the original power plant was sold before I bought the car. I'm not going to dismiss any engine swap or Rocky Auto masterpiece as not Nostalgic. Preference is everything from a personal standpoint but age defines a cars classic/vintage status regardless or personal favoritism or how desirable a car is. I was moreover pointing out it is just as easy for others to judge his cars and so it is for me a little of a "Glass Houses" debate with no real evidence of "abuse" of the term.
I don't think the term is abused just people perceptions and tastes differ. But its not fair to hate on someone with a 92 car that was released originally in the 80's calling their car a Nostalgic or classic.
Maybe Nostalgic will become a term defining an era more than just a rolling pre date.

'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:45 am 

Just think, some day this boring car will be JNC status...yeah hard to say what the cutoff is for the term. But I think eventually it will be used to define cars up to a certain year, maybe the year every car began to look exactly the same.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 64 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next