#
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:41 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 6   [ 114 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Add some Life to your spice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:11 pm 

Hello all!

So, not long ago, I decided to sell my daily driver, which was a K10 Nissan March Super Turbo (more info here). This was because it had expired inspection and a differential that felt it no longer needed to do its job (just listen to the sad noise here). I've been driving my girlfriends K11 March as a loaner car since, but I knew that I needed a new daily.

So, the hunt was on. I knew I wanted some older than 25 years (so I could bring it home with me), something with a manual transmission and preferably, something with two doors. I narrowed it down to four candidates and after a lot of hemming and hawing and checking of the bank account, I made a decision on this little gem!

It's a 1973 Honda Life Touring SL. I'm not sure what it is about these little 360cc kei cars, but one just isn't enough for me! Maybe I felt that my Mitsubishi 360 needed a friend, haha.

Now, I haven't actually received the car just yet. It is supposed to get delivered next Monday (the Monday after Nos2Days... it's going to be a busy weekend). So, all of these pictures are pictures taken by the shop in Ehime.

The reason I don't have any pictures of my own is because I'm buying this car sight unseen. First time I've ever done this and I'm putting a lot of trust into the seller. The reason I'm buying sight unseen is that Ehime is about an 8 hour drive from here!

So, information about the car! As you can see, being the Touring SL model, it has the fantastic little water cooled twin rocking twin Keihin carburetors. That should be good for 36 hp, which is about 15 more than my Mitsubishi 360 pumps out. That neck snapping power is pumped through a 4-speed transmission, although the hunt is on for a dog leg 5-speed.

The car is relatively rust free except for one worrisome spot on the bottom of the passenger door as seen above. This seems to be the biggest problem spot, but there could be other surprises lurking about; let's hope not. The car is also a respray (as is evidenced by the different color engine bay). Given the trouble spot on the door and the lack of matching colors under the hood, it will need a new paint job in the future, but the current job should last me at least a year or two.

Now all the pictures up to now were taken before he pulled the car out and gave it a thorough clean. After he made it look much nicer, he sent me a few more photos. The interior is really what clenched the deal for me. It's in amazing shape for a car that is 40 years old!

Aside from some god awful red floor mats and a horribly installed Daihatsu radio (both of which will be promptly removed), the interior elicits nothing but smiles from me! The driver side door panel looks like it might have a small tear in it, but the passenger side door panel, seats (front and rear) and dash all look to be tear and crack free.

I am missing a few trim pieces it does look like. It seems like something should go over the shift lever, the horn button is MIA and the pull handle on the driver side door is broken. The dash controls all look to be present and in good shape. Even the factory radio still looks to be in tact. I'll be removing that Daihatsu lump and then modifying the factory radio to plug into my cell phone so I can still rock some tunes!

Of course, pulling the Daihatsu radio out means that these box speakers are also coming out. I've never been a huge fan of box speakers, so we'll see if I can remove these without leaving huge nasty holes in the rear parcel shelf.

One of the things so many people forget to take pictures of is the head liner. Fortunately, this gentleman did not forget! The head liner looks immaculate and the little box with the room lights on it looks un-cracked and very nice (although it's missing the plastic lens for the back room lamp).

The top of the dash has no cracks in it, which is like finding a stack of 50 dollar bills in your happy meal.

The whole instrument panel seems to have stood the test of time! This is a view I'm really looking forward to!

Once washed the paint looks pretty good too. The car has door mirrors, they've just been removed and placed in a box to ensure that no one breaks them off shuffling around the car. Still, I think I'll locate a good set of fender mirrors and mount those instead.

I just love the tiny little bumpers on this car. They're all but useless in an accident, but they look so good.

So, there you have it, that's my new Honda Life!

As I said earlier, it's not getting delivered until Monday, so I won't get my first proper look at it until then. I'm so excited about it, I can hardly wait, haha. Unfortunately, it needs a bit of brake work before I can inspect it and drive it, so when it does arrive, the first order of business will be making sure that everything is mechanically up to scratch!

Thanks for looking guys and more information on the little Life to come soon!

Cheers
David

Post subject: Re: Add some Life to your spice
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:18 am 

That is a very clean looking car from those pictures. The interior really is incredible! Best of luck with the project :tu:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:35 am 

what a cool little car!

It's like it's morphed between an N360 and a 73 cvcc.. cool! Congrats on the find and for taking the long-distance risk :wink:

-ccrunner

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14452

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:29 pm 

Seriously David, are you going to fit in there ? Congrats on another purchase, are you going to leave any cars for anyone else ?

Dan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:16 pm 

Thanks for the comments guys!

Hondafiend, I'm really pleased with the interior. I just really hope it's equally as impressive in the flesh. There are a few missing bits, but nothing I shouldn't be able to hunt down eventually.

ccrunner, I actually really like those first gen Honda Civics. I didn't pursue one here as it goes against my only rule when buying a car: don't get a car you can get in the States. Maybe when I get back to the States, I'll hunt down one of them!

Dan, I aint planning on leaving any cars for anyone else, haha. I probably won't fit very well, but I reckon since I got a welder and an angle grinder, I can totally make the seat rails work to give me more room.
(Off topic - I got an email headed your way soon buddy!)

Short update, I just ordered nearly 50,000 yen worth of parts last night from these guys: http://auto-spot.net/

The current owner said it needed a cup kit, so I figured why not just order everything. I got new shoes front and rear along with cup kits for all four wheel cylinders and a master rebuild kit. If the brake lines need replacing too, I'll pick up some stainless braided lines from the local motorcycle speed shop (although that's mighty pricey so I'll try to avoid it if possible). There was a bunch of other stuff packed in with that order like wheel bearings and a water pump rebuild kit.

Hopefully the parts will get here soon so I can tear right into the car from next week. Hoping to get it road-worthy by the first week in March!

Thanks again guys!

Cheers
David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:29 pm 

Waouh !

What a nice little Honda ! It is true that it looks like a mix between the N, Z and Civic 1st gen models.

Congratulations :tu:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:18 am 

Wow that looks great and the Touring spec. details icing on the cake, with the twin carbs, bumperettes and roof console.
I didn't think Honda had got around to giving these a 5-speed or front discs like the Air-cooled cars.

I had noticed some of the 1980's Daihatsu Cuore/Mira front discs & hubs seemed to slide straight onto Honda's Life/Z driveshaft splines and shared the 4x110PCD wheel stud pattern with 12" wheels, though unfortunately used much larger thread for those studs. '80's Subaru Rex also seemed to fit for 4x100PCD).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:42 pm 

Im in love!!! :mrgreen: :tu: :tu:

72-87 Civic
84-87 CRX
86-89 Integra
79-87 Prelude
76-89 Accord

Parts, cars, collectibles and more!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:24 pm 

Nice!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:41 pm 

Thanks for the comments everyone!

79cord, I may just have to look into the disc brake option from the Miras, these little cars are supposedly notorious for having brakes that just can't keep up. If I can get my hands on the dogleg 5-Speed from the GS model, I think and upgrade to disc brakes would most likely be necessary.

So, on with the story of my Life (heh). I ordered a ton of parts from a shop call Auto Spot (http://auto-spot.net/). They seem to specialize in 360cc Hondas and they were an absolute pleasure to do business with. Very prompt and very professional. They will definitely be getting more of my hard earned cash in the future!

Hardly looks big enough to contain 50,000 yen worth of parts, but it's definitely got the goods! Inside I have new brake shoes, front and rear cup kits, a brake master kit, a timing belt, oil filter, water pump repair kit, thermostat, oil seals, gaskets, wheel bearings and a horn pad. I most likely won't need to put all these parts on the car, but I felt it was better to get my hands on them now while I could instead of waiting for them to be no longer available.

So, now that I had all the parts, I just needed the car. Well, the very next day, the car arrived on the back of a truck clean from Ehime!

He backed it off the truck (using the side brake only), fired it up and drove it over to my parking spot for me!

The guy was a complete gentleman and hugely fun to chat with. He wandered through my garage looking at the Bellett and admiring the effort put into it. He even said he had a line on an air compressor and that he might be able to locate some fender mirrors for my Mitsubishi 360. All in all a pleasant guy and I'm glad to have gotten the car from him! Of course, after he left, headed back home, I couldn't just let the car sit there. So, I drove it back over to the gravel parking lot, parked my Mitsubishi next to it and grabbed a few pictures (also I think my camera is actually just broken because the right half of all my pictures is blurry...).

Unfortunately, light was dwindling fast and my camera falls on its face in low light conditions. So, my pictures are kind of blurry and crappy, but I will be definitely grabbing proper pictures of the two with a proper camera once I get the Life squared away.

They are nearly identical in size (well, length and width are the same due to kei regulations), but I think the Life might have a slightly smaller back end due to it being a bit more round.

The trunk has enough room for a spare tire and some very small and compact luggage!

You can also see another confirmation that the car was originally silver. I think when it comes time to repaint, we'll stick with the white, I really like it.

There's a bit more rust than I was hoping, but actually less rust than I was expecting, which is pretty good. The bit on the bottom of the door is worse than I thought, but the surface rust in the engine bay is just that, not serious at all. Of course, I won't be fixing any of the rust until it comes time to tear it down and repaint, which won't be happening anytime soon, I have far too many projects on at the moment.

The interior is every bit as fantastic as I hoped. Very clean with minimal work needed. A few things need to be cleaned up like the radio and a switch or two, but other than that, everything works and looks great!

Around the back of the car, with the trunk closed you can see that there is a sticker on the back glass.

Upon closer inspection, a single name is still visible through the faded colors. Ayumi Nakamura. I had never heard of her, but my girlfriend started laughing like crazy. Apparently Ayumi Nakamura was hugely famous in the mid 80s and is the epitome of what was cool in Japan back then.

Foe those curious about Ayumi Nakamura, here's her video from the 80's that was so popular (click image or link below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXKnNOXUJv4

My girlfriend still knows all the lyrics by heart!

Before I pulled the little Life back around to park her for the night, I switched the camera to video mode and grabbed a quick video of her running. For having old gas, dirty carbs and a mostly ignored engine, it sounds pretty great! (Click image or link below.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwWqv3h10fw

Finally I pulled her back to her parking spot and closed her down for the night. I took one last shot from above.

I couldn't be happier with the car. Something about these old kei cars just makes me smile non-stop! I won't be able to get around to working on it until this weekend (I've got overtime lined up until the 1st), but it's going to be a fun weekend! I'm hoping to have it road worthy within a week and get inspected and registered within two.

Thanks again everyone for the comments!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:22 am 

Very exciting!
The Life's long doors & short rear overhang do make the Mitsubishi look like a station wagon by comparison, Honda really must have wanted to avoid the utilitarian image to give up the practicality of a fully opening rear end. I can't remember how easily the rear seat was folded/removed on them (a friend had two mustard 4-doors as projects before he sold them on).
The narrow old kei cars certainly are intimate to sit in, & light to drive, exaggerated by the big narrow rimmed steering wheels of the time. Great fun with that free-revving engine and its lightweight flywheel.

Be warned I haven't spent too much time looking at the Daihatsu brakes yet & haven't seen it done before, I just slid a Z-hardtop drum {different from air-cooled} onto the Daihatsu driveshaft/axle splines to check fit and bought the whole setup including ugly wheels (12" with lower profile tyres). I haven't had a chance to pursue it further. Obviously Diahatsu were also available with front drums since they had removable brackets to mount the calipers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:45 pm 

Man what an awesome little car. Kind of makes me want to look for an N600 here in the states, but I wouldn't know where to start. It reminds me of this old speedhunters feature of a track prepped N - yours is in much nicer shape, but I think it's a pretty cool style:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2010/08/car ... o_rat_rod/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:59 pm 

79cord, I never thought about it, but you're totally right about the front rear overhang. I looked up the specs of both the Mitsubishi 360 and the Life 360 and while both have a total length of 2,995 mm and total width of 1,295 mm (the kei regulations), the Life has a much longer wheelbase at 2,080 mm versus the Mitsubishi's wheelbase of just 1,900 mm. I'm betting the Life feels much more stable at speed.

Knoonz, I've seen that rat rod N600 before, that thing is sweet. I could have sworn that guy had a thread here on JNC, but I couldn't seem to find it. I actually really like how the exhaust comes out the front of the grille, although I don't think it would fit well on anything that wasn't a bit of a rat rod.

I got a good look at the Life yesterday after work. It was the first time I've been able to poke around the engine bay with decent light. I'm in store for some serious work! The carbs were weeping fuel, so I've got some rebuild kits on order. The fuel pump is the wrong fuel pump and mounted in the most terrible way ever, so I've got a proper fuel pump on order as well. The windshield washer was exchanged for an electric pump and plastic reservoir tank, but it doesn't work in the slightest (and it has to in order to pass inspection). The air filter was crumbling and black. And the wiring is great collection of bad decisions.

I'm going to have a properly fun weekend!

Thanks for looking guys!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:15 am 

I really like this car. It fits so well as the design between 1970 N and the 1974 Civic. Here are (2) links to the mentioned rat rod and another 600/360.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6330
http://www.rojakracing.com/2010/08/look ... -n600.html
If you look at my thread (My AN600s) you will see my take on an equal length N600 header.
Keeps the pics coming.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:36 pm 

Thanks for the comment 8803! Thanks for finding the link to the rat rod N600, I knew he had a thread on JNC somewhere. I've actually read your thread before, I love the header. I actually particularly like the cooling shroud and electric fan you made as well. Someday in the far future, I might swap over to an N600 air cooled engine and transmission to make the car a little more usable in the States and I will definitely be borrowing some of your design ideas!

What a wild weekend I just had. This car and I went toe to toe for something like a combined 24 hours and I can safely say it whipped my ass. I tore into it full of enthusiasm and when I closed the garage up last night at 10 pm, I was battered and beat, haha.

Here she is in the garage all ready for round one!

Getting ready to tear into her. You can already see a slew of problems in this picture alone. Some wiring is haphazardly strung about, there's no battery tie down, the air cleaner is missing a stud, and it's overall just tired looking.

Here's another one of the problems I needed to tackle. The stock fuel pump presumably went bad at some point in time, so this one was added. Unfortunately, the inlet and outlet didn't line up properly, so they made new mounts out of some random steel and screws. Then they half wired it up with the ground wire just being wrapped around a nearby negative wire.

Here's the inside of the air cleaner.

And the air cleaner I pulled out of it. This thing crumbled in my hands.

The car was also incredibly hard to start and when it did run, the idle was all over the board and generally ran like crap. Some of that is probably due to the fact that the gasoline smells like it's old enough to be in High School and some of that is probably due to the carbs, which can be seen here weeping fuel.

My biggest problem was the brakes. The pedal went straight the floor and the guy I bought it from said it needed a cup kit. So, I figured if it needed a cup kit, it'd probably need new shoes and a master cylinder kit as well. So, I pulled the master cylinder on out.

Super blurry picture, but you can see the master cylinder here looking super gross.

And here is where the car got fed up with me poking and prodding it and started to snap back. In order to get the drums off to get to the shoes and wheel cylinders, you have to take the cotter pin out and castle nut off. The cotter pin was no big deal, but the castle nut was 32mm. 10 bucks later, I had a 32mm socket, but I didn't have an impact gun. Both the front castle nuts were on so tight that they were near impossible to get off. I ended up having to put the wheels on, pop the e-brake up, chock the wheel, tie the wheel to a solid suspension member so it wouldn't rotate (never thought I'd put that roll of rope I bought forever ago to use), grab my big torque wrench and then put an old fork from a motorcycle on the end to make a breaker bar that was about four and a half feet long.

I finally got those little nuts off after hours of getting wailed on. During that time though I was swapping back and forth between those two castle nuts and the pulley on the crank. I managed to get the pulley bolt loose using brute strength (cue He-Man theme) but there was absolutely no way to get the pulley off. There just wasn't any room to get a puller in there. I tried dousing it in penetrating oil, heating it, hitting it with a hammer... nothing worked.

So instead, I went back to the brakes. The rear drums, mercifully, came off with very little effort.

I pulled off the front passenger side drum and it clearly was in need of replacement. The linings had completely separated from the shoes and it looked a right mess in there.

So, I got to work putting in new cup kits and shoes.

Naturally, I only took two pictures during this because frustration levels were making it hard to remember to take pictures. So, multiply the top picture by four and you've got a pretty good idea. I also went to work on the master cylinder, which definitely needed it.

So, with the brakes in and sorted, I figured I needed to keep pulling parts. I had taken the carbs off long ago and ripped the fuel pump out in between working on the castle nuts and the pulley. So, the next logical thing on the list was to pop a new thermostat in. Well, one turn on one of the bolts that hold the thermostat housing on and it just snapped right off. So, I took a stab at the other bolt and it snapped in one turn as well. Hooray.

After that, I got pretty fed up with my lack of progress after a day and a half battling with this thing. So, I knew I needed to get a puller onto the pulley and the only way to do that was to make the engine not be where it was. So, that's what I did.

It was easier to drop the engine a foot than it was to remove the pulley.

Of course, once I had the engine that low, getting a puller on the pulley was simple as could be. The pulley came right off!

After doing all the work I needed to do while it was down, I put it back together and jacked it back up into position. If I had known it was going to be that easy to drop the motor, I'd have done it hours ago! The exhaust had a few pin holes in it that I normally wouldn't care about, but they were visible, which would make it fail inspection. So I found some old Holts Gun Gum and pasted that stuff on. This stuff is really old and will probably fall off after a month, but as long as it fools the guy at the inspection place, I'll be happy.

With the new timing belt, the cover and crank pulley on, I could put on my new alternator belt and pop in the appropriate fuel pump.

I'm lacking a whole lot of pictures and I didn't change quite a few parts because they were already in great shape. Most notably, the wheel bearings and water pump were both smooth and spun really well. The oil seals on the crank and cam I had planned on replacing as well, but after a good look, they both looked to be in good shape and neither leaked oil. Figured I'd be best to leave well enough alone. Plus, I know that I can drop the engine and re-install it in just an afternoon if I ever have to change them in the future.

I still have to fix the broken thermostat housing, rebuild the carbs and clean up the wiring a bit, but for the most part, I actually made some progress.

More to come as I get back out there and continue to take my beating!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:13 pm 

Great update Dave! Sorry to hear everything was more stubborn than an Ojisan trying to give up his Ozeki One Cup drinking habit. Are you gonna order replacement bolts form Honda for all the rusted bolts or go with something different? Or use some rust off on the "good" bolts?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:08 pm 

Just love that little car!
You can really see the evolution of the Life to the Civic 1200 trunk model.
Good luck with your great little find. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:40 pm 

That's good job. This beautifull little car really deserves it !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:02 pm 

Thanks for the comments guys! The more I look at this little car, the more I start to like the old CVCC Civics too, especially if they have sleek bumpers and fender mirrors like the one below. I may just have to pick up one of those as well sometime in the future.

Of course, this Civic RS is the one I really want:
http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail/CU1721444279/index.html?TRCD=200002

Anyways, onto the Life!

After a very unpleasant trip to the dentist I had to get back down into the garage to give me something other than my teeth to focus on. So I decided to tackle the broken thermostat housing. First step was to remove the thermostat, which I'm glad I did, this thing looked like it was ready to give up the ghost.

Next was to get what i could of the broken off bolts out. I managed to completely remove one side without drilling thanks to a lot of heat.

The cover that now has two holes properly in it.

The other broken stud wasn't going anywhere, so I drilled it out and re-tapped the hole. My hole was a little off center, so a sliver of the bolt still remains. I hammered on the sliver and tried to get it out and it is properly fused to the aluminum. So I just tapped through the sliver of bolt and prayed that it'll hold. Fortunately, this is on the side of the housing that goes straight through, so if this fix leaks or doesn't hold, I'll just drill it a little larger, run a long bolt all the way through and put a nut on the bottom.

New gasket poorly cut by yours truly and top properly bolted down.

Shiny new thermostat hiding inside.

I didn't manage to install it back on the car last night due to the dire need for some new hose clamps. Those are on the shopping list for today, so with any luck, I can get it installed and fill it with coolant to see if it leaks. Hopefully, by weeks end, I'll have a car I can test drive!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:26 pm 

Impressive efforts there, hope not too many other problems crop up.
I wouldn't expect Honda's earlier aircooled drivetrains to fit in one of these, since despite having their gearboxes built into their sumps & no need for a radiator, they would seem to be bigger. When Honda rebuilt the Z to take this drivetrain they actually pushed the firewall forward, increased its wheelbase & shortened Frt. overhang by 80mm! The frt subframe, driveshafts & brakes were all new and the Steering rack relocated from high on the firewall, to the bottom. Tight packaging.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 6   [ 114 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next