#
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: TE72 Coupe JMax Paint Garage
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:48 pm 

Been a Toyota enthusiast for a long time. A buddy of mine sold me his '81 TE72. He gave up on the car after a few things: it started with being sideswiped at a parking lot and culminated with a fuel pump issue before he gave up with this car. He let it sit for a while, developed other interests and finally realized I needed to get this car. So I did.

He added quite a bit of good parts: front coilovers (T3 units with AGX struts), quad headlight conversion, Cusco AE86 camber plates, Hoshino Impul G5's 14x7 0 front, 14x7 -10 rear... Mechanically, he did not do anything.

This is how I got it:

Mechanically? As factory as it can be:

We drove the car to my place in a crappy mood since we spent 4 hours tinkering with the fuel pump, installing it, uninstalling it, adjusting idle, then realizing a bunch of vac hoses were crapped out... over heating due to very high idle... you name it. But it made the 24 miles to my place.

Once at home I took a second look at the engine and of course...

THE WHEELS!

---------------------

Started by yanking out all the vac and emissions stuff an decided to rebuild the crappy OEM carburetor.

OEM carb after rebuild:

After rebuilding the OEM, idiot me remembered that I have a Weber Outlaw 38 in need of rebuild sitting on a 4AC. Took it of and started the rebuild:

All done:

-------------

I discovered a crack on the exhaust manifold and it was cheaper to get a cheap header than to source one from a junk yard, so I did:

So much nicer but what a pain to fit. After fighting with the bolt holes I finally got it all aligned... now I need to order EGR plugs for the exhaust ports (what a stupid idea, BTW, to have EGR ports built within the head... that pissed me off)

Yes, it's the first 3T-C I have worked on.

Another thing that kind of pissed me off was the dumb air pump underneath the intake manifold as well as the mess of coolant lines ALL over the engine bay. Started dealing with that as well... Still contemplating if I want a heater or not.

Well, the Hoshino's are going on my other senorita, my red 86' AE86 Panda semi-resto project, so I started installing a set of Konig Rewinds 14x7 -9 with some 195/60 all around.... makes the TE72 look mean:

... which BTW it's the side I need to repair body-wise, other than that the car is rust free and has no other dings.

And here it is the 86 with the hoshinos:

------------

Post subject: Re: TE72 Coupe JMax Paint Garage
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:03 pm 

another shot of the 86:

----------

One thing I dont understand is how can an automaker sell a manual car with no tach. Easy fix:

Also adding Oil Press and Water Temp gauges:

Picked up some stuff from my peepz at Grip Royal:
...their stuff is quality and also easy on the wallet. Love their wheels.

Some engine bay rice:

So I am still deciding between a quick same-color spray (cause the paint is completely crap) or do a full color change to Toyota Millenium Silver (1C0) and satin black interior & engine bay with the Konig powdercoated sating dark gunmetal (Watanabe black)... that would require a lot more work than I expected but I have fallen for this little cool car and I don't want to do a half assed job... sigh, decisions decisions :)

....and here is my other 86 SR86 Levin fuming cause I pay no attention to her:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:39 pm 

Nice projects. More pics of the blue car!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:38 pm 

...supposedly we were going to be busy and I had to take care of some shit for the vp of finance for a VIP customer... get to work, only 2 co-workers show up, the other 4 are 'working' from home... and the VIP customer is fucking on holiday for 2 weeks. Fucking-a, man...

Get home around 3, start wrenching on my shit....

Finish taking more shit out...

then I noticed the intake mani gasket is in pieces in there... so intake mani comes out...

oil and temp sender for the gauges installed in stock places thanks to autometer adapters:

Start cleaning some wiring as well

my intention is to completely repair the wiring loom in the engine compartment as well as properly loom the wires for the headlamps since they are all loose and shit...

Cleaned the shit of the intake mani and installed the weber...

Valve cover on...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:09 pm 

THIS IS THE Color - Gay Side Blue (TV2) - Just like the Levin -

-Got a swirl pot from Powered by MAX for the coolant blingzzz
-Cleaned out more crap out of the engine bay (a/c condenser, lines, heater lines)
-Header still giving me fitment issues (bolts lining up - no biggie)
-Still undecided if I want a side exhaust (in front of left-rear wheel) or a full back exhaust...
-Undecided if I should powder coat the Rewinds dark charcoal...

----------

so this is what happens if you have OCD mixed with a bit ADD and you try to 'clean some wiring'...

....yeah....

---------------------

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:52 am 

You just kept digging eh? Dont you love the part when you stand back and look at what you have done. Looks like fun. Wish i could tear into mine like that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:18 pm 

Yeap, thats right. You start doing something minor then next thing you know the whole front end is off the car! All this time is well worth it though, attention to little details makes a build special.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]