#
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:49 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Silliest/ Dumbest thing you have heard about Cars
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:07 pm 

What is the silliest / dumbest thing you have heard regarding cars and JNCs where somebody is just wrong.

I'll start.
I was looking up cars and my brother walked in. He said "Are you looking for a car?". I said yes and he suggested a hilux and wondered why i was looking at a Datsun 720. I showed him the 720 and he said "that looks like a Rodeo [Holden rodeo/Isuzu Faster]" I said he was wrong and showwed him a pic of a rodeo. He refused to listen to reason and stated that "nissan is the same as holden". We argued and eventually he said to look at other cars of the time [mid 80's]. He proceded to say that all of these [mazda b series and toyota hilux] were the same as the 720 and rodeo. Later there was the "they all come from the same factory" retort and "they would change the front end, they just rebadged them".

Hes done similar for quite a few Jap cars after he found out about badge engineering. Even when no similarities are present.

ETA: title changed for the chance of more stories

Last edited by dchil15 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Silliest/ Dumbest thing you have heard about Jncs.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:26 am 

Don't go telling him the Commodores he most likely idolises are pretty much just rebadged Opels with local drivetrains, will you :P

Most of the things I hear revolve around them being cheap unreliable shit made of recycled Milo tins, they're gutless, only girls and poofters drive them, real men drive Commodores/Falcons/other such domestic shitboxes which are, in most cases, less reliable and much lower build quality than the JNCs in question etc.
I live in the country, this sort of attitude is to be expected lol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:52 am 

jwebb2876 wrote:
Don't go telling him the Commodores he most likely idolises are pretty much just rebadged Opels with local drivetrains, will you :P

Most of the things I hear revolve around them being cheap unreliable shit made of recycled Milo tins, they're gutless, only girls and poofters drive them, real men drive Commodores/Falcons/other such domestic shitboxes which are, in most cases, less reliable and much lower build quality than the JNCs in question etc.
I live in the country, this sort of attitude is to be expected lol

He doesn't go for the commys but the WRX's and so on.
And just you wait until nissan start kicking arse in the v8 supercars.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:34 am 

Many years ago I was trying to get a part for my car through AutoZone, and the guy at the counter asked me if it was carbed or EFI. I looked at him deadpan and said "No Supra ever came with a carb".... he proceeded to argue with me for like 5 minutes straight until I made him come outside and shove his face down into the intake manifold.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:22 pm 

supra goddess wrote:
Many years ago I was trying to get a part for my car through AutoZone, and the guy at the counter asked me if it was carbed or EFI. I looked at him deadpan and said "No Supra ever came with a carb".... he proceeded to argue with me for like 5 minutes straight until I made him come outside and shove his face down into the intake manifold.

NVM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:39 pm 

While not exclusively about JNC's, I've heard plenty of things that would make most of you scratch your head in confusion....

I work at a Toyota dealership on the parts counter. One day while covering the front retail counter, an angry lady comes in and angrily demands a part for some sort of Acura. While noting her present mood, I let her know that I just deal with 'Yota parts and can't help her. She shoots me a nasty look and yells, "Japanese cars are all the same!" :roll: Eventually she stormed out after I informed her that the Acura dealership was down the road 2 driveways over.

I had another customer come in another day. While his english wasn't perfect, it was passable at least. He wanted spark plugs for a Toyota. "OK, I can do that, but what kind of Toyota?" That little question sent him into a [i]fury[i]. He starts arguing (quite loudly I might add) and it goes something like this- "ES A TOYOTA, TOYOTA!" He just kept repeating that, over and over. Also he didn't drive it in, so I couldn't see what it was. This goes on for 5 minutes with him yelling that it was a Toyota. No model or any relevant info, just that it was a Toyota.

Eventually I did get the info I needed, he finally mentions that he had an 80's era truck with a 22RE..... getting him to tell me was pulling teeth..... at least I had the plugs and I sent him on his merry way to terrorize somebody else.

supra goddess wrote:

I'm not going to defend the guy at AutoZone here as I avoid Pep Boys and that place like the plague and the guy that you were dealing with sounded like a tool, but I think I know what happened, on my Toyota parts database, they lump in the early Supras (pre 85 1/2) in with the Celica 'tab'. The Supra 'tab' on the model page deals with the '85 1/2 and up. So to look for a part for an '84 Supra, you have to go through the Celica stuff. That's probably how he got confused- they probably showed a 'carb' R engine, or the EFI 6 cylinder, he just wasn't sharp enough to catch it.

Post subject: Re: Silliest/ Dumbest thing you have heard about Cars
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:07 pm 

Just heard from a mate that he is getting his RX3 built up as a drag/street car [he says it'll do other things but it's getting a 1000hp engine and has a powerglide and a 4link rear connected to a ford 9in diff, you can guess what it is gunna be].
He tells me this story about a roll cage shop around the Brisbane area who he was going to get a cage from. They wanted to cut the roof off the car so they could fit the cage. He left and found another shop to do it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]