#
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: 5-Speed Trans behind a 2M
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:23 am 

Years ago I met a guy with a '67 Crown that had swapped in a 5 Speed instead of the 4 Speed. He said it was an easy swap, same mount, shifter hole, etc. I can't remember what car he said the trans came out of though! I think maybe a 2wd pick up but it might have been a Celica/Supra. Does anybody have any experience with this swap? I'd like to have a little knowledge before I start hunting for the trans.

Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: 5-Speed Trans behind a 2M
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:50 pm 

Sounds right.

Hunt for a W55/W57 (Celica) or W58 (Supra), those 2 car models are probably the most common, than a manual Crown or similiar. The bellhousings/mounts will be the same as what you already got, or you can easily mix and match with your current manual if the W5x you find is not inclusive of everything.

Im not well versed with manuals but you may need to do some research about the different gearings and things, maybe the W58 isn't well suited to a 2-M, but the W55/W57 from the smaller engined Celica's may be better. Here's a link about different diff gearings & all that hoo-ha. Sounds like it will be necessary :) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/engine ... lease.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:16 pm 

Thank you! I thought maybe the Celica was the way to go. I'm going for the W55 if I can find one!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:04 am 

I would say he used a W50 from an early Celica.
Cheers Brett.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:53 am 

Any of the W-series transmissions from Toyota is the answer.

Not sure about bellhousings or driveshafts though... my guess would be maybe a 7M bellhousing? But don't take my word for it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:04 pm 

Thanks for the advice guys! I found a W50 about an hour from my house. I'm going to get it tomorrow. It doesnt have a bell housing so I hope I can use mine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:53 pm 

Boooo! I now own a W50 trans but it is in no way a direct swap for whatever the heck is in my car now. The 4 speed in the car now has all the shifter mechanism on the right side with an external shifter shaft. The W50 has the shifter on top with no external stuff. The W50 is also considerably shorter with a different mount set up. I can make a new crossmember and longer driveshaft but I'm afraid that will put the driveshaft into interference with the X-Chassis.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:26 am 

Could it be that I have an N-40 in my car? I see the Rock Auto catalog shows both the W-40 and N-40 as options for a '67 Crown with the 2M Motor. I can find tons of info and pictures of the W-40 and none of it matches mine. I can't find any info on the N-40 though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:38 am 

did anyone that told him that this would be a direct swap have firsthand knowledge of the transmission being used mating to the engine in question in the chassis in question?

first of all, i guess you can assume that a bellhousing on a w50 (if it was mated to an M-series motor) should have the same bolt pattern on the engine block side as your 2M. personally I have only dealt with 4-7M motors and their respective A340s and R/W gearboxes.

second, W series transmissions have a few different bellhousing PNs for M applications and different shifter locations as well. best bet for locating your shifter is bolting up the trans or at least positioning it as close as you can get it to where it "should" go and seeing where your shifter hits the tunnel. If it's not lined up with the original hole, you can either cut a new hole or possibly (again depending on the shifter style of the w box you have and the rear housing on the box itself) use a different shifter plate assembly to move the location back/forward by an inch or so either way.

here's an excerpt i found of a description for the W50 online:

"Often called the "steel-case" transmission for its steel shell, in contrast to the later W-series transmissions' aluminium case. This transmission is mostly associated with early Celicas of the 1970s. It is also shorter from the bellhousing face to the transmission mount than the later aluminium case W-series transmissions, despite using the same mount."

hope that helps somewhat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:23 am 

So I've been looking up everything I can find on an early 5-Speed behind a 2M or 4M motor. It looks like a Corona Mk2 would be a good donor for my project. I don't see anything on Crowns having 5-Speeds and Celicas or Trucks would not have the M series motor. At this point, if I could find the right bellhousing, I think I could make my W50 work. Can anybody think of anything else that would have had the W50 bolted to an M series motor?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:21 am 

mki supra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:03 pm 

Good call - that probably would be the easiest to find. Might even find a complete car.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:47 am 

if you do, send me the rear end. consider the shipping expense to be my fee :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:33 pm 

Local guy has an '86 Supra for sale with a blown head gasket. He wants $1500 which is a bit high. I offered him $700. He turned it down but he has my number.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]