#
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:22 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Hako Colour codes/names?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:28 am 

Anyone know the paint code or even name of the Hakosuka KPGC10 'Silver'. Also that slightly off silver/grey colour (Did someone say Satin Bronze?).

Paint codes and names would be ideal but any help is appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Merry Christmas to all!! 8)

Post subject: Re: Hako Colour codes/names?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:42 am 

Con2K wrote:
Anyone know the paint code or even name of the Hakosuka KPGC10 'Silver'.

Original factory metallic silver for the KPGC10 was Nissan #700, and was called 'Glare Silver Metallic'.

There's some conjecture about the 'Glare' part of that colour name. Some would have it that it's simply a corruption of 'Grey'...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:31 am 

Alan, thank you. I'm not sure at this moment how useful the information is but it's a start rather than pointing at photo's saying 'this'.

I like the champagne (greyish silver colour) too.

Another project must be completed before I can make use of this information myself but a friend was interested to know also. He's thinking of a Hako based colour change for his '80's volvo!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:45 am 

Trouble is, this whole topic of colours is a very thorny one. You're very unlikely to see a KPGC10 still wearing its original factory paint today, and even if you did it would be likely to have faded to a shade quite different to its original appearance. Those that have been repainted - and this goes for the replicas too of course - are very unlikely to have been painted in the original factory colour. I don't think I've ever seen two KPGC10s side-by-side wearing exactly the same shade of metallic silver...

If you're looking at colours from photos - or on screen - then they will often look quite different in real life and in natural light. For example, I don't think I've ever seen any two pictures where #920 'Gold' looked the same. I can't even take two pictures of my #920 Gold 1970 Fairlady where it looks the same colour in both.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:05 am 

Oh, I fully agree. The variation in photo's lighting, monitors, shades etc can never be overcome. The best representation is with your own eyes. Even so, my LS1 (Damson) Nissan can look like 3 or 4 different shades depending on the weather that day. Is the #920 Gold the one that looks sometimes orange, but sometimes yellow? (I remember seeing a fairlady Z outside the Nissan Dealership on the A30 in Truro, Cornwall 3-4 years ago. It was gorgeous.)

It's not that it needs to be the exact or original colour. It's more that a correct representation of it can be found. I mean we all know a 'modern' silver may look completely different on an older car and make the whole thing look odd, no longer a period car in a period colour. It's more trying to get to the bottom of what colour pigments etc are used to make it. It's a dangerous game saying 'It looks like this modern car colour', having it mixed up, applied and then thinking, no this isn't right.

Is there a known code/representation for the champagne colour of the Hako's?

In saying that, even the original Nissan colour codes aren't much use really are they?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:43 pm 

Con2K wrote:
It's more trying to get to the bottom of what colour pigments etc are used to make it. It's a dangerous game saying 'It looks like this modern car colour', having it mixed up, applied and then thinking, no this isn't right.

The formulas for the Nissan colour codes on the C10-series are quoted in the technical literature for the cars, but I'm guessing the codes for the tints and their quantities would probably not transpose to the tints of modern paint manufacturers.....?

Con2K wrote:
Is there a known code/representation for the champagne colour of the Hako's?

Which colour are you talking about, as the C10 GT-Rs were not offered with any colour I'd call champagne? In fact, the GT-Rs had a very limited colour choice ( and just four colours for the KPGC10 ). Is it from one of the other C10 variants?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:08 pm 

HS30-H wrote:
The formulas for the Nissan colour codes on the C10-series are quoted in the technical literature for the cars, but I'm guessing the codes for the tints and their quantities would probably not transpose to the tints of modern paint manufacturers.....?

Thanks again for the reply mate. Do you have access to the technical literature for the C10? Having spoken to the guy who owns the paint shop, he is confident he can mix sympathetically, if he has something to go off.

HS30-H wrote:
Which colour are you talking about, as the C10 GT-Rs were not offered with any colour I'd call champagne? In fact, the GT-Rs had a very limited colour choice ( and just four colours for the KPGC10 ). Is it from one of the other C10 variants?

I am wondering if the colour that my mate and I are fond of is an aftermarket colour which stems from certain restorations? Below are a few images so you can hopefully see what I am getting at;

There is definitely some sort of gold tints or similar to these. I'm not disagreeing, but find it hard to believe this is a common monitor or camera lighting trickery compared to, say, this 'colour':

Again, I appreciate, I haven't actually seen the car in question so find this very difficult to pin down.

(In addition, I must say Kev's C10 can vary in shade throughout his project thread update images. Is this the answer to the whole thing? It is in fact the same?)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:28 am 

Con2K wrote:
Do you have access to the technical literature for the C10? Having spoken to the guy who owns the paint shop, he is confident he can mix sympathetically, if he has something to go off.

I'll write out the formula for the KPGC10 'Glare Silver Metallic' when I get a chance. Bear with me.

However, that stock KPGC10 is not the bronzey-tinted silver metallic I think you are looking for. I know the shade you mean, but I'm sure it's not a stock factory colour on the C10-series.

I'll ask a few friends in Japan who should know, and get back to you on it...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:14 am 

Just an FYI that bronze tint on some of the eGarage studio pictures is a function of camera setting for effect, and is not a reproduction of the actual color. I should also note that the actual color is probably not a faithful reproduction of the original color, and is probably too nice a paint job to look factory anyways.

I've spent years myself chasing down paint codes on other cars, only to find it next to impossible to replicate old paint colors with modern formulas. It will just never look the same. The best solution I've found is to buy some old "paint sample" books from the 60's on eBay (some paint stores also may have a few old books), pick a color you like, and have a paint shop do their best to color match to those with modern paint.

Af Alan's contacts can produce a formula that translates into paints available where you are, then you're way ahead of the game. But I'll also note that even something like the color of primer has a huge effect on the final color of the paint- I've seen cars sprayed with different primers and the same final colors, and each panel ended up a different hue!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:43 pm 

I know this thread is old but anyway...

An extremely close paint code to what you're describing is IMO

Lamorghini titanium silver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:38 pm 

Of course you could also go Porsche 911 Silver, which is Silver with a touch of Gray. I have used this blend to paint a model Porsche 917, looked good, gave it to my nephew in Tokyo, wonder if he still has it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:55 pm 

According to some PDFs floating around on this forum, the colors are as follows (no codes, though)...

69 GC10 and GT-R

GT Red
GT White
GT Silver Metallic

72 GC10

Green Metallic
Gold Metallic
Silver Metallic
Lavender Metallic
Rose Brown Metallic
White

KGC10 GT

White
Bronze Metallic
Lavender Metallic
Red
Brown

KGC10 GT-X

White
Blue Metallic
Silver Metallic
Lavender Metallic
Copper Metallic

KPGC10 GT-R

Red
White
Safari Brown
Silver Metallic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:24 am 

Ahh so Nissan/Datsun 1972 Silver Metallic is as close as we can get for what (in most cases if original paint after all this time) would be the shade of silver on the hard tops..?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]