#
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 22 of 27   [ 532 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project S30Z (my Swiss Datsun 240Z 1972)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:41 pm 

I have a painter who works together with a bodyshop which will do the bodywork but i have to talk to them first if they're able and willing to do the front-end swap. i hope so :D Also another guy from switzerland wrote me he had a few shops who made him a quote for the same job, so i know a few adresses, but i'll have to check out the options first :)
Also i'll try to prepare a few things on my own first.
Think the next step is to get the white body back into the garage and collect a few more parts. This or next friday i will pick up a set of rare NOS parts i need hard for this project, you'll see :P
Due to the fact i wasn't shure if i can use the black chassis or not i haven't planned any further so now i have to figure out what's the best way to continue, but i have a few ideas and hope it will work out :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:40 am 

You remember the "Datsun parts heaven" i wrote about a while ago? Today i visited this place again, because i wanted to pick up a set of pretty damn rare NOS OEM Frame rails for the 240Z. I've never seen them for sale so they must be something really sought after and i wanted to secure them for my project. here they are, can't get any better :)

Then my mate stefan and i Checked out a nice Z which is for sale and a few friends of us are interrested in:

And Stefan took a closer look at a Datsun 180B Triple S, a seriously rare car over here! He might be buying it soon, at least i hope so :)

And last but not least i edited an Image of my second's Z engine bay, just because it looked so nice and i loved the picture with the lens flare :)
More updates to come soon :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:09 pm 

congrats to your rails.nice buy!!see ya!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:28 am 

thanks for your help stev, once again :D :tu:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:27 pm 

Nothing big, just started removing random bits in the engine bay of chassis Nr II:
1) Air Filter:

2) Air vent pipes (totally brittly):

3) Hood rod:

4) Service Lamp

4) VIN Tag Plate:

Then found this guy helping me out in the Garage :)

5) Collection of random removed pieces:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 am 

Well haha, a Picture uf my Zed's glovebox i made at the beginning of my project was featured in the #IAMTHESPEEDHUNTER Programme Detail theme on www.Speedhunters.com and i'm very proud of it, beeing a daily Speedhunters reader :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:02 pm 

Removed some random bits in the engine bay again :)
1) Ignition coil bracket & Resistor:

2) Front bumper support brackets and Radiator:

3) Ignition wires and Distributor cap:

4) Started removing the carbs and other stuff but then a friend showed up and we started to chat so i left it like this:
Hope to get more done soon - want to have the white chassis out of the rain and back in the garage :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:57 am 

Someone asked me about the wheels on the black z, and i've never really cared about them because the previous owner wanted them back but i thought i'd investigate a bit. Brand name says MELBER and googling tells me that that brand has been OEM Options wheels on several european cars.

According to the Center cap which says "Melber Datsun" it seems to be some kind of OEM option here to and i remember the previous owner told me something like that.

Here a better view of the brand name. Ignore the terrible paintjob which is peeling off.. :)

Also spent a lot of time with the car today but pictures don't make a lot of sense, because i just removed a lot of hoses, wires and pipes for easier carebutor removal next time :)
Oh and i also have a big package from Japan on the way and some plans for next month :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:20 pm 

I've been thinking about the possibility to lower my Z on adjustable coilovers but all the options i found where somewhat expensive JDM-stuff without documents for swiss street-legalization or either cheap US-crap self-welding solutions. So when i picked up my Tein coilovers for my EK9 i reminded myself that there was the opportunity to get custom TEIN Coilovers made out of the standard coilovers. And the best thing they'd come with swiss documents if i handle it together with the swiss tein importing company.
Only one problem: They cost almost as much as i paid for the entire car :)
Here are some pics from the TEIN japan Homepage:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:19 am 
JNC Enthusiast

not all self build stuff is crap, and if you still use tein dampers it would still be legal for swiss roads?

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:21 am 

no i need documents for the complete strut setup, so if modifying the strut housing, changing dampers, or only springs doesn't depend. as soon as you change anything on the suspension you need documents.
good thing with the tein custom suspension is you can choose a lot of different options, custom spring rates, mono-tube, twin tube, etc. so you definitly get some high-end suspension if you pay for it :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:40 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

but who is going to check if you changed something? if you take a set of tein dampers, weld them on your std. suspension and powdercoat all in black, put a brand new tein brand sticker on it and youre good to go :)

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:44 pm 

well it's definitly more difficult than that. specially if you get into an accident and someone get's hurt your insurrance can deny payment if they figure out that you had something illegal installed etc.
Many people somehow do illegal things or half-legal stuff, but i'm a guy to spend a bit more money and afford and do it the "right" way.
This way it's much easier to sell the car (if i ever want to) in future and never get problems with any authorities.
you just can't spend xx'xxxx$ on your car and than save a few hundred bucks at the suspension i think!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:03 pm 

Here we go, another piece of the puzzle arrived: A Koyorad Japan (Koyo) Aluminum Racing radiator. The great thing compared to the OEM Radiator is that this one is a bit thicker and has a crossflow-design which means better cooling efficiency. Also i was impressed about the weight. this thing is about 1/4 the wheight of the OEM Item. Great bang-for-the-Buck deal in my opinion!

typical japanese manufacturing quality:

Also had to buy a koyo radiator cap because the OEM cap would not fit:

have some other news soon, but it's currently just a bit too cold out in the garage :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:31 pm 

My good friend Stev was kind enough to get me a set of Stickers over at JNC while he ordered some for himself. BIG THANKS, mate, as usual - apprecciate your support man!
Love the JNC gold "Inkan" Emblem and the Okamoto Condoms "OK-Hand" stickers :)
Also expect some new parts arriving during the next weeks. spent a lot of money ordering parts and temperatures are rising again so i hope i get some more recent updates on the car during next weeks again :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:38 am 

The previous owner of the black z told me he had a few extra parts in a container which were missing. the car was almost complete except the bottom part of one seat and the passenger door panels and taillights. So when he finally told me he'll deliver me those parts i expected only these parts. But then i got a complete transporter filled with tons of small pieces i still have to identify :D Here's what i got:
1) A lot of interieur panels fron the hatch i guess:

2) a set of spare rear side windows, spare clutch, spare starter motor and other pieces:

3) Set of spare gauges and taillights (Second taillight see below)

4) A spare fuel tank :D

5) Boxes full of small electronic pieces, broken junk, spare seatbelts, spare cigarrette lighter, shift knobs, spare careburators, and tons of small things:

In one of the boxes i found this bag of Cat-weed seeds *lol*

6) broken center console, door steps, and a lot of other items

7) More panels, spare-tools bag, steering column cover and another broken center console:

8) Missing passenger side door panel and tons of doorsteps and stuff:

9) Missing bottom part of the passenger seat and a few worn out emblems, steering wheel switches, and more spare gauges:

10) And another rear bumper (i already got two with the white car *lol*)

Good thing is i have a lot of spare parts to choose from now. bad thing is i believe a few parts belong to the 260Z the previous owner also had, and a few parts are useless for me. I think i might be able to sell a few parts, but most of them or really worn out or broken so let's see. they need quite a lot of space in my garage and i think i'll sort out all the broken parts soon and throw them away. Anyway i'm happy i got a bit of a "treasure" here and at least a few of the parts might be pretty useful at one point maybe, so i'll keep all of them until i'm done with the car :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:46 am 

Finally i found some time for the Z again and fortunatly i had some nice progress:
After working a few times on the carbs without being able to get them off i finally got rid of them today:

and out they are :)

started to remove the horns also and found this weird wiring at the front end...?!?

and off they are:

hope to have more progress soon, a nice and big package should arrive here soon :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:40 am 

Everytime i'm able to spend a bit of money to add another big piece of the puzzle makes me smile. So today when the FedEx lady rung the bell on my door with a huge package, which continued this:

1) A Complete set of Fiberglass ZG-Style Overfenders:

2) A Xenon Urethane front Air dam:

3) And last but not least a set of aftermarket steering rack boots (I went for the aftermarkets because the cost 1/20 of the original items and i can't see any benefits of using old NOS parts compared to fresh aftermarket items):

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:14 am 

Loving the build mate! Fantastic work :) Makes me want a Z soooooo bad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:46 am 

thanks mate, i hope i'm able to get some more stuff done soon. At least temperatures are above 0°C now again so i can work in my garage without freezing my ass off 8)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 22 of 27   [ 532 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 27  Next