#
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 58 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sooner the better build '79 Te51
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:39 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Even better to hear that. I have been doing a ton of reading on that method. Seems you can even spray the stuff. I need to do a bit more research, but there is even a forum dedicated to the rustoleum paint job. Can't wait to see it in person!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:28 pm 

I ran into an issue today with the wheels I had ordered for the car. I failed to realize at the time (just like they failed to mention) that the wheels are still in a pre-order state and haven't even gone into production yet. Since I've already sold my old wheels and the project is nearing completion I need a solution fast. I've already refunded my previous purchase so out shopping I went. I never realized how obscure 16x9 was for a wheel size. I'm having trouble finding anything in that size so I've changed my plans to fit time and budget (ie college student can't afford $2000+ custom wheels on a daily corolla). I've come up with a few options that are similar or favorable to what I originally wanted to run. Care to share your opinions? Please refrain from "Brand X sucks buy these instead" comments. I'd love to run custom wheels but as I said I just don't have that kinda budget and need something asap.

So here's the options I've come up with

Varrsteon V3 in 15x8 +0 and 16x9+15

Rota Shokotan 15x8 +0 and 15x9 +0

Rota Alecia
15x8 -5 and 15X9 -15

Rota Grid
15x8 -5 and 15x9 -15

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:28 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

I would go with the Rota Shakotan. There are also some XXR 521 in 16x8 +10 on OKC's craigslist right now as well, not mine of course.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:43 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Love the rota grinds. Also some xxr's might be a cheap solution. Not sure on quickness for purchase though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:16 am 

UtahSleeper wrote:
Love the rota grinds. Also some xxr's might be a cheap solution. Not sure on quickness for purchase though.

Xxr's were my first choice but the model I like is still in preproduction with no date released for availability

Also does anyone know where I can purchase the retaining clips for the back of the locks? I ordered a replacement lock for my trunk that was missing when I purchased the car but it didn't include this litte clip or whatever toyota uses to secure the cylinder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:01 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Looks pretty standard. You might want to take the lock cylinder for a stroll through either PAP or La's down on SE 55th. Just go around popping trunks and see if it will work. I do know that La's has a couple TE7xs that might have what you need. There were two 4 doors and one sport coupe the last time I was there. La's is open till 2pm on saturdays, normal hours monday-friday. Let me know if you want to head out this weekend, maybe we can meet up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 pm 

OkieRA29 wrote:
Looks pretty standard. You might want to take the lock cylinder for a stroll through either PAP or La's down on SE 55th. Just go around popping trunks and see if it will work. I do know that La's has a couple TE7xs that might have what you need. There were two 4 doors and one sport coupe the last time I was there. La's is open till 2pm on saturdays, normal hours monday-friday. Let me know if you want to head out this weekend, maybe we can meet up.

i just might do that. I've been/heard of PAP but what/where is La's?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:10 am 
JNC Enthusiast

La's is an import only junkyard down on SE 55th and about high. It is just north of the intersection of SE 59th and I-35. They don't crush anywhere near as quick as PAP and deal only with imports really. They also do scrap. The yard manager is pretty cool and will try to hold cars that they get in to crush if you need parts off it. They got a true AE86 GTS in a few months ago that went straight to the crush pile. I was able to convince the yard manager to set it aside so I am some friends could get some parts off it. I got the seat frames(foam was shot) and the clutch pedal. Buddy of mine was supposed to go get the suspension for his SR5 and never did. I could have shot him, cause if I had known he wasn't going to get there, I would have pulled it all. Front and rear suspension would have run about 150$ Like I said earlier, they have a couple corollas of the TE7x gen. One should have the clip you are looking for.

Oh yeah, do you still have your seats? If the black passenger's seat is in good shape I would be interested in it. I don't need the seat rails. I have a good vintage recaro for the driver's side, but could use a good passenger's seat. The vinyl on all of mine is pretty fubar.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:32 am 

Ive had my xxr 531 for months now
Weird :/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:13 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

--Ya the first rim looks sick. :tu:

--I think the lock clip is same for the door cylinders also?

--I got 16x9 and 16x7 on mine,but 5 lug.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:08 pm 

OkieRA29 wrote:
Oh yeah, do you still have your seats? If the black passenger's seat is in good shape I would be interested in it. I don't need the seat rails. I have a good vintage recaro for the driver's side, but could use a good passenger's seat. The vinyl on all of mine is pretty fubar.

No sorry and they were all broken and beat anyways, they wouldnt lock and the sliders didn't match my floor pan correctly anyways. Oh and they were blue and brown, no black.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:07 pm 

Quick update. Paint is finished for the most part, had to do a few touch-ups. Fender flares fell through since they weren't up to snuff when I received them from the seller. Sent back for a refund, 'nuff said. Also had a problem with the chin spoiler I ordered, but that's sorted and the new one is installed.

Still waiting on the rear lip spoiler which should be in tomorrow. Wheels came in today. Ended up going with 15x9 -15 all around. Thought get away with just a roll but now that I see the wheels on the car flares are a must. Gonna run 195/50/15's. Still need to get the harness bar/rear brace in and install my audio stuff. I'll have pics up as soon as things are buttoned up. Hope everyone had a awesome weekend

PS if anyone has a set of Datsun ZG flares for sale or knows of a good vendor selling sturdy, decent quality flares please let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:28 pm 

:mrgreen:

Front

Rear

My Favorite pic so far

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:43 am 

Dude, those look good on there, get some tires mounted up so I can see how it sits all said and done!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:48 pm 

Long time no update! I finally got most of the car finished and assembled. Cut the arched out today and got the flares on. For some reason the seller sent me a mixed set. The front are normal VG flares while the rears are the 4in. extended VG flares. I might need spacers but I'll wait for that until after I get the rear lowered. If there are any other okies here going to coffee and cars in march let me know. Here's some quick driveway shots. Hopefully I'll get some better pics tomorrow if weather permits.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:50 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

that thing is wicked... gotta get the ride height a bit lower :P I am trying hard as I can to make cars and coffee saturday. Right now, got a lot of honey do stuff getting in the way. Think I should be able to swing it for a couple hours or so. The 85 will be making the trip again. The 76 still needs an alignment and some radiator work before it is road worthy again. Still have to pay for a tag too. Maybe April for the 76. I will PM you phone # and such and we can meet up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:55 am 

nice work, indeed!

I love the touch of old school and new, the -what I will call rabbit GTIish- white/red/blk combo and I particularly like the og ragtop.

that car is sure to attract attention where ever you go. When I first saw this thread I wasn't sure I was on board with changing what was a relatively complete coupe but I def like it 10 fold better.

kudos!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:54 am 

Great job OP, this is the same thing I did with my old TE51, Datsun zg flares, lowered, blacked out trims and Rustoleum paint job but I sprayed mine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:16 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Got to see this in person this weekend. You have done a really nice job with the work! Inspired me to get back on the celica and get it in better shape. Was great to meet you and put a name to a face. Sorry I had to bail early, we had some technical trouble on a liveshot just down the road I had to go solve. Hopefully, I will have the RA back on the road for April's cars and coffee. It will help if I can sell the cressidas.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:34 pm 

Yellow_Feva wrote:
Great job OP, this is the same thing I did with my old TE51, Datsun zg flares, lowered, blacked out trims and Rustoleum paint job but I sprayed mine.

That looks great, I love that color.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 58 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next