#
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:24 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Classic J-Tins, Tall guy friendly?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:01 am 

Hi everyone! I'm totally new to classic Japanese cars, still don't own one yet, drive a VW, but I know you guys don't care about that. :roll:

My question is to the tall people out there and their experiences with their cars and how well they fit in them. I'm 6 foot 3, average build, not overweight, long legs, and what not, and am wondering if I would fit into, lets say a second gen Corolla, or a Starlet, or AE86, etc.
Ever since I have seen these at car shows I've since then wanted to own, restore, and modify one.

I know the easiest answer is to go and sit in a car and test it for myself, but thats now so easy here in the Midwest. I don't want to drive out to other states to look at a car just to come home empty handed.

So are there any tall guys out there driving these small J-tins... or and I stuck looking for a bigger car?

Post subject: Re: Classic J-Tins, Tall guy friendly?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:28 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I am 6'2" and a little over-weight with a TE72. I fit fine. In some cases you will want to get a car with a tilt wheel or replace the steering wheel with a smaller one.

Plus, most people replace the seats in there Tins and that tends to give more room.

I did try and fit in a 2nd gen corolla and it was a little tight, but nothing new seats wouldnt fix. AE86 would be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:57 am 
Mild Cam

My Celica has a roomier interior (especially the backseat) than my '96 Mustang Cobra. I'm 6'0", 130ish lbs.

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:16 pm 

im a tall and fat guy so i have problems fitting in most cars .i know supras aren't exactly small but i fit in my mk2 supra/85 celica fine, my mk1 is a little smaller but is still drivable. you could always make some seat track extenders if the seat doesn't go back far enough.

1985 toyota celica rust bucket sold
1979 toyota celica supra 2.6,5 speed. (for sale $1000 needs work , runs.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:58 pm 

I'm 6'2 and 210 Pounds and I fit in a ae86, te51, 240z, s2000 so you should be fine fitting in anything...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:07 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

My 78 3rd gen rolla has stock front bucket seats with OE or dealer seat extenders.
If I put the seat all the way back I'm looking out the rear side window and just touching the pedals.

I'm no freaky giant just a 5 foot 11 chump. :tu:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:27 am 

I'm 6"5 and about 130kgs and I fit into my 1976 RA23 Celica :) Leg room is a bit small but I'm yet to mod the seat rails so they slide back further.......

Plain and simple, if there's a will, there's a way

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:08 pm 

Thanks for the info guys! Good to know I can fit into these cars, my plans are to change the seats regardless on what car I'll get anyways.

Now the bigger problem is to find a good car. Its pretty darn tough to find anything good in the Midwest that isn't completely rusted to shreds. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:02 pm 

I'm 6'1 around 185lbs. and I fit inside my RA21 Celica. Had the rails modified so that it would slide back a bit. Its the "getting out of the car" that's the problem for me because its a bit low to the ground. :D

Visit my on-line parts store[url="http://sidsparts.multiply.com/"]http://sidsparts.multiply.com/[/url]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:54 am 

Where in the Midwest are you located? I'm in Chicago but am relocating in two weeks to Kansas city. (partially to focus on jobs and building cars. As far as the Midwest problems with old Skool cars, Craigslist is a decent place to start for 3rd and 4th gen corollas. Every once in a while I would come across decent cars with little rust but without engines. They are also much more expensive closer tithe east coast. Good luck, I'm on a search too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:21 am 

loquendo wrote:
Where in the Midwest are you located? I'm in Chicago but am relocating in two weeks to Kansas city. (partially to focus on jobs and building cars. As far as the Midwest problems with old Skool cars, Craigslist is a decent place to start for 3rd and 4th gen corollas. Every once in a while I would come across decent cars with little rust but without engines. They are also much more expensive closer tithe east coast. Good luck, I'm on a search too.

Chicago Suburbs! Yea, I look pretty much constantly on craigslist and find nothing I want. Right now I am after a clean TE27 or TE37 corolla coupe.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]